My worthless Optimum pics...

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by El Slotho, Jul 1, 2009.

1. El Slotho

El Slotho Every hour wounds. The last one kills.

[​IMG]

Fucking nightmare. I just assumed I was going to love this stuff from all the rave reviews, and I have no doubt that the failure was 100% on me, and no fault of the product.

Flex 3401
    Poorboy's SSR 2.5, orange light cutting pad, Flex on 6
    Poorboy's SSR 1, white polishing pad, Flex on 4
    Optimum Final Polish, black finishing pad, Flex on 4
    Optimum Final Polish REapplied, different black finishing pad, Flex on 4
    Optimum Opti-Clear, hand applied/removed with small foam applicator

...I don't know wtf, or where I went wrong. Not only did the car go from being blemish-free after the SSR combo to having slight spiderwebbing after the Final Polish, which really had me scratching my head giving the rave reviews I'd always read on the stuff, but the Opti-Clear was streaky, blotchy, and left a weird marking in the paint that I had to buff out with QD and a microfiber. In the end, everything came out fine, but the effort required to get it where I wanted it was far beyond the usual recon effort on this car.

I suspect two things.

First, despite the black finishing pad I used being brand new out of the bag, something was wrong with it. It's the only explanation for the Final Polish actually making the paint worse despite leaving what looked like a nice gloss from about 5 feet away. I reapplied FP with a different, clean black pad, and everything seemed nicely corrected after another round of buffing.

Secondly, I overapplied the Opti-Clear. No doubt about it. While there is an imperceptible amount of the bottle gone after having covered the entire car, the process was too streaky and blotchy to have been applied correctly. I started laughing when I pulled the car out into the sun because of how horrible it looked, and how long I'd spent on the car at that point - Again, going over the car with QD evened everything out, and left the finish very clear, very wet-looking, and (thankfully) defect free. :coolugh:

And then, of course, it started fucking raining, so I couldn't take any proper pictures, so here is all I have for now:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Excuse the condition of the garage, as we are converting the house from electric appliances to gas, so there are appliance boxes/wires/Glenlivet bottles/schmutz everywhere. :sad2:

If tomorrow is nice, which it isn't supposed to be as all we seem to have is rain here in Connecticut, I will get more. If not, I will add pics to the thread as I can. I plan on finishing up with a nice healthy coat of Souveran, but not before I can take a few shots of the car with just the Optimum on it.

Thanks for checking out the thread.

2. Derek173

Derek173 Analyst and Therapist

Maybe your black pad wasn't primed enough with polish? I usually use a pad condition or spread the polish around the pad evenly with my fingers.

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

More than likely, the oil free Optimum Finish removed what Poorboy's was hiding. Not sure if you noticed, but OF leaves the paint feeling squeaky clean and if anything prior was hiding anything, OF will clean the oils out. Not really designed to do that, but it does have that effect. Also, OF is a two towel removal process, if you had any left on the paint, that could be part of the problem you had with Opti-Seal.

Next time you deep polish, switch to Meguiars #105/205 combo. Far, far superior to Poorboy's polishes. Far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far superior. If #105/205 are Filet Mignon, Poorboy's polishes are dogshit. I can't believe how much easier the two make my job. Poorboy's polishes were pretty good when they first came out, but Meguiars new non-diminishing abrasive polishes have revolutionized the industry and everyone else is playing catch-up.

Opti-Seal will definitely streak if you apply too much. If it isn't clearing out in a matter of seconds you are using too much or there is polish residue left on the paint. What I would do is apply more Opti-Seal after you wash the car again. Notice how quickly the excess flashes off and once it is 10 seconds or less, then you are using the correct amount.

There is a learning curve with OF and OS but once you get it down, especially with OS, you will love both products.

Car looks insanely wet, btw. :)

4. El Slotho

Whatever it was, it wasn't the fault of the product. That's for sure. Both times were an application error issue, either from the pad sucking, or me sucking, but live and learn.

I did find it interesting that the fiancee came out, looked at the car as I stood there, pondering the car after finally getting the bullshit out of the paint, and thought it looked great. "Insane," was the word she used, which surprised me because she knows I really enjoy the whole paint recon thing, and I was obviously agitated. :rofl:

I cannot wait to see it tomorrow in the sun. If there's sun. or, I'll wait until there's sun and then pull it out. After those killer pics of your car, I am expecting very good things. :bigthumb:

5. El Slotho

Done and done and done and done and DONE!

Thanks Scott! I am still stuck in 03, back when I first PM'd you asking for advice on WTF to do about my M3. I will be ordering those polishes first thing tomorrow, and likely be redoing the 911 once they come in. I honestly didn't know that the SSR line had fillers in them, as I thought they were proper polishes that worked without filler and actually corrected, but that is good to know. Very good to know.

The sad thing is, you're right. It DID look worse in parts after the OS, as some of the nastier scratches, and stuff that I'd -thought- I'd subdued with the correction steps, suddenly jumped right out at me. It was one of the reasons for my agitation, as I'd worked on the thing for a long time at that point, only to be met with utter fucking failure. :rofl:

Thanks again for the advice. As always.

And I'll still post pics of the car as soon as the sun comes out. :bigthumb:

6. Derek173

Scott,
    How would you compare 105/205 vs. Opt Compound 2 and Polish 2?

7. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

You can get 105/205 at ABSAP on Main in East Hartford.

8. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

:werd: on 105/205 dominating all. I have a bunch of the #8x series polishes left that I'll probably end up selling now that I have and use the new stuff.

9. El Slotho

Nice! Thanks for the local hookup! I won't bother ordering and waiting for it then - I'll just wait for the #&^@#^%$#ing rain to stop, if it ever does, and then I'll re-attack both cars with the new polish system. Right now I am hunting around for tips and "best practices" for applying 105/205 with a DA, so I am ready to start once the product gets in.

Thank for the advice, guys. :bigthumb:

Right before it started raining, I went outside and took a few shots. Again, they are utterly worthless, because I could have made the car look just like these pics before I even touched it with a buffer using ye olde Photoshoppe tricks...but this is what it looks like now. In the dark shade. Where you can't see shit. :rofl:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of course it started raining as I was trying to quickly take a few shots. :down:

Next up - I need to clean the top, and dress the tires a bit. I don't need them "jet fockin' black," but they can't stay marred by product as they are now.

10. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

The past 3 weeks it's been like this. I was out in Newington yesterday doing a pair of Saturns and it was 85, but it hadn't been that hot in so long it felt like I was dying. Then today I went to Storrs, sprinkles on the way there and did a Prius- it was raining by the time I left and went to the bank in Willi Rico. :wtc:

ABSAP is kind of hidden. It's across from a CVS I think, in the back of the plaza where the diner is. Pricing is competitive enough to at least take the remorse out of impulse buying. And Coastal Tool in W. Hartford has Lake Country pads.

11. Scottwax

#105 has significantly more cut that OCII
    #205 has a touch more cut than OPII, OPII has a deeper finish, #205 more clear sealant look.

12. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

God almighty I need to move back to CT. It hasn't been below 90 here in Arkansas for over a month, and that's also with about 80% humidity. I hate you fuckers. And I hate the USAF for continually stationing me in the south.

13. Scottwax

Upper 90s and full sun today while polishing out an S2000.

14. exceldetail

exceldetail New Member

Scott, you can have it................nothing like mid 60's and cumulus......did I ever mention I hate Ca?

15. Scottwax

Mid 60s? In June? Screw that. I live for the summer heat.

16. El Slotho

I was honestly unprepared for the heat. Between that, and working the Flex all day on the 911 being used to a lighter PC, I was wiped out. Finis. My arms, shoulders, everything was flatout exhausted. I had hoped that we'd enjoy the nicer weather for a while...Wrong. Wrong! :rofl:

I about ready to start fucking praying that we have nice weather this weekend. I mean come on. We're due.

That's perfect. Thanks again for the heads-up on a local source. It's awesome to know that I can pick up supplies on the same day if absolutely needed. :bigthumb:

Thanks again for all the help guys!

17. BlazinBlazer Guy

Sicko. :fawk:

18. Scottwax

I fucking hate cold weather. Love working and riding in the heat. Having to change my shirt 5-6 times during the day makes me feel like I am accomplishing something.

102 today and in the shade it felt like mid 80s or so. I get used to it real quick.

19. BlazinBlazer Guy

I hate cold weather too... but I hate overly hot weather even more. I figure it's far easier to just keep putting on more layers, but not so easy taking more layers off. I doubt folks would appreciate me detailing naked (well ok, maybe I'd attract more female clientele, but still....) Mid 70s is just about perfect IMO.

20. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

Don't take my statement the wrong way. I enjoy the heat more, make more money when it's hot, and don't ski or snowboard so fuck the cold. But it's literally been cloudy, rainy, damp for almost the entire month of June at 70 degrees. Then out of nowhere 85 and not a single cloud was like a system shock.

I went from being able to ONR the entire side of a car without a hint of drying, to only being able to do a panel at a time. Big difference from one day to the next, that's all.

21. Scottwax

We went from upper 80s/low 90s to low 100s in a week. Takes me about a week to aclimate myself to the higher temperatures but once I do, I'm fine.

22. exceldetail

exceldetail New Member

There isnt a damn thing i like about 80+ deg weather..........cars get hot, house gets hot, and sweating sucks!

23. Derek173

Much better then cold and snow :wtc:

24. RedGoober4Life

RedGoober4Life New Member

I love snow.

Looks like I need to get some of this new Meguiars polish goodness.

25. Scottwax

I get 80 applications per bottle.