My work study boss wants me to partition Vista

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by meow, Apr 2, 2007.

1. meow

meow OT Supporter

into 2 operating systems of Vista. he said, one will have all the apps he installs wants on it, but the other will just have the operating system/office. is it possible to have 2 Vistas on this and what program should i use to partition it? i'm scared that im gonna screw his new computer up. if it was mine, i would be able to do it on my own but i have only 1 chance so i don't want to screw up.

2. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

You misunderstood.

He wants 2 partitions, only 1 with Vista on it.

Partition 1:
    Vista / Office

Partition 2:
    Applications

--

You'll likely need to format the computer and recreate partitions to do this. The idea is to have a smallish partition for the OS and use the remainder for applications, if the OS crashes you can easily format that one partition and not lose your application data.

If I were splitting a 100gb drive I'd probably do 20GB as the Vista / Office partition and 80GB as the Applications partition.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Actually, it is entirely possible that his boss wants two partitions with separate copies of Vista on it. It wouldn't be un-heard-of. That said, it would be good to seek clarification before doing anything.

4. Hate Crime

Hate Crime Don't Hate OT Supporter

You can create/modify partitions within vista.

5. deusexaethera

Even partitions that have the OS on them?

6. 7960

7960 New Member

ASK HIM!!!

But you'll find your boss wants a C and a D drive with Vista loaded on the C drive and all the programs you're going to load loaded on the D drive. Your boss is between 50 and 65, right? That's how he "remembers we used to do it" but he has no clue.

GET HIM TO CLARIFY.

But what you're going to do is load vista and programs on the C drive, and move My Documents to the D drive so it's easier to back up, a bit more redundant in case of OS failure, easier to blow away the OS and reload without losing documents, etc.

7. deusexaethera

Yeah, you know, I've never been happy with a split like that, with the OS on one partition and programs on the other. It's too goddamned hard to force some programs to install on the D drive.

If you have to do this, you may want to investigate mounting the second partition inside the "\Program Files" folder instead of on a separate drive letter.

8. 7960

7960 New Member

I wouldn't try to load My Programs on a different drive letter than the OS.

I currently have My Documents on a different drive letter than the OS.

That has saved my ass twice ...... well, not really, but it's made it much easier than restoring from backup.

9. Hate Crime

Hate Crime Don't Hate OT Supporter

Indeed:wiggle: