GUN My weekend reloading project

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Cannondale, Dec 16, 2007.

1. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

Well, I've been using the little handheld Lee loaders for my rifle ammo for some time, but I finally wanted to get some real hardware. I received my late grandfathers RCBS Jr. 2 press a month back, and decided it was time for a reloading bench to sit in my room.

Last week, I went to a second-hand furniture store, and looked around for a small table that I could use. I didn't find anything, and managed to find the manager. He told me that there were some table tops on one side of the showroom, so we went and looked. I found what I wanted, and asked what he wanted for it. He told me to take it out the back so his receptionist wouldn't hassle me. Score!

One of my friends came over that was interested in reloading, and told me he had some posts in his garage that were not getting used for anything, and he would gladly cut me some legs for the bench. Score again!

Well, I needed some hardware to put it all together, and luckily he had a lot of high-quality decking screws, so all I needed was some angle brackets of various types. A trip to Home Depot, and $15.60 later, I had everything I needed to put this bad-boy together. It's homely, but it is solid as a rock. I also put a small vise on there, just for those little odd jobs that need three hands.

Here are a few pictures of the finished product.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While this last picture doesn't have much to do with my reloading setup, I finally put this poster up after getting it a few months ago.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2007
  2. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

If you don't have one get a hand priming tool, priming on the press sucks

btw if you want more posters most bullet manufacturers will send you one; I know I have at least gotten them from nosler, barnes, and sierra.

3. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

Good to know about the posters, I want to get a few more. I've been told to get a hand primer, I am definitely going to do so. I need to get a set of 7.5 Swiss dies, and some .308 dies now, I have 9mm and .45ACP dies.

4. AB13

AB13 New Member

Okay, so here's the general rule of thumb for building a suitable reloading bench. It should be sturdy as well as "stable" enough to "get on top of and dance around on."

It's how it was explained to me back by an old timer. If you could, I'd recommend getting some heavy duty "L" brackets and secure it to your wall. You don't want any deviation if you can for best results. Presses in general react differently to loose tables.

5. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

I've got one bracket into the stud, and one into the framing (not just the moulding) around the door. I won't try and dance on it (I'm a heavy-ish guy :hs:) but it doesn't move at all. I made the decision to get the large l-brackets just as I was about to leave Home Depot, I'm glad I did. My next step is to get the rest of the sawdust cleaned off the floor.

6. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

I've read in several places that it's a good idea to keep your scale on a seperate table, to prevent you from bumping it and having to re-zero. I'll be building mine in the next month or two, so I've been on the lookout for some heavy laminated table tops. Anyone know where to find shit like that?

7. AB13

AB13 New Member

Unless of course your table is rock solid.

what dimensions are you planning on building your table? If you didn't want one too deep you can get that fake granite looking stuff at Home Depot and get it to fit your dimensions and buy 4 4x4's and some 2x4, and metal braces and call it good.

8. skeletor25rs

In my room I'll be able to L around a corner, so lack of depth won't be a problem with the extra space in the corner. I'll look into that, thanks.

9. AB13

AB13 New Member

Well yeah, then get the premolded granite look alike tops and just place some 4x4's on the corners and call it good. It'll look really sharp, and the top surface would be perfect for a bench top. It even has a back stop already and you can take that and use it as a brace for your wall behind you.

HMMMM thinking I'm getting an idea'r.

Don't forget to get good sufficient light, lighting "to me" is key to see my work, which is very important work. I use a bench light as well.

And if you look really carefully, you will see a light ALSO mounted on my loading press. It was just a reading light I mounted on there. You need to make sure you see powder BEFORE you seat a bullet.

Here's my bench.

[​IMG]

10. skeletor25rs

I'm building mine in front of a window for some natural light. But a few other lamps will be added.

11. NGA WHAT?

NGA WHAT? New Member

I did mine in front of a window also, so I could gt more light. But I keep a flashlight handy too just in case!

12. SNDP

SNDP New Member

How fast will that outboard move the bench ?