my web site reviews

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by James Bond, Mar 16, 2006.

1. James Bond

James Bond Guest

www.clarkstractors.com

i had one b4 but just updated it today, lettme know what u think. i dont know flash or anything so i just made an image map. :naughty:

2. skelm

skelm New Member

Pretty basic but at least the information is easy to find, should serve its purpose

3. m2e

m2e OT Supporter

did you steal the top from cPanel? :mamoru:

4. James Bond

James Bond Guest

haha ya i did.

it only took me a few hours so its real basic

5. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

It's a start. :cool:

6. James Bond

James Bond Guest

suggestions?

7. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Bad layout for type of industry and target market. Layout needs redoing and color revisions.

Front page is an image map. No text on the website at all. No accurate alternate text on the buttons as well. Search engines cannot read images, they can only read plain text and alternate text. If your website has no text it will not be spidered properly.

Titles of the page. The home page is labeled "index". It should be labeled "Clarks Tractors - Tractor Rental" or something very similair to that.

The buttons open up to separate windows. Users get confused and they try to press the "back button", only to discover that they can't go back because a new browser launched in place of the homepage. Of course all they really have to do is realize another browser window has opened--you wouldn't believe how many users are completely stumped by this manuever.

Contact page... Completely different layout from home page. Looks like an entirely different site. Navigation should be on all pages so users can browse comfortably. A user who's not very savy with Internet browsing would be completely stumped on this page, not know what to do, and either close the window out or type in the URL again.

"Road Map" on Contact page needs more emphasis. I did not even realize it was a link until I noticed it was blue and underlined. In this case, I would probably add a "Get directions" or "Click here for directions" with that text linked to the map.

It is very important to have a phone number on the contact page. If there is no phone number a lot of people won't want to deal with it. Besides, I think if you own a business a phone number is required for legitmacy.

Contact page has no titled. It's black, and does not have necessary HTML start and end tags. And unnecessary use of obsolete tags. Inadequate breaking methods.

Now onto the inventory page. You have the right idea, right justified navigation, but again... zero copy on the front page. Has an unncessary "last updated" tag right next to the header, and the header is a bit off with the underline. Inadequate usage of HTML utilizing obselete tags and unnecessary breaking methods.

When I click on one of the links, such as "Loaders" or "Backhoes" I expect to find some information regarding them. Whether they're available to rent, sell, or whatever--which I do not know, because no where on the website do you say what services you offer.

Photo gallery is not bad construction wise. You had the right idea here, but now here is the problem. You are linking the images that were original snapshots and uncompressed. They could be compressed and decrease file size drastically since it's not a very large image. This page also loses "navigation". There is no navigation on the side, no header, no title, no copy. Just images.

What services do you offer?
    How can I call you to find out what services you offer?
    How can I find more information about your company?
    What exactly do you do?
    What is the purpose of this website?

Usage of little and often zero copy, little use of navigation, Search Engine nightmare--nothing will be spidered correctly on this website.

I will not go into technical details but as far as usability standpoint this is what I have. I'm sure I could find more if I spent a little bit more time with it, but I think with this information you'll get a sufficient start on what more needs to be done.

Copy (or content) is very important, navigation is just about as important as copy, so is search engine optimization and most importantly--contact information. After viewing this website I have no idea what you do, I just know to contact someone named "John", and the only way to do that would be driving to your building which I don't know if it exists or not.

I highly recommend staying away from HTML editors such as Microsoft Frontpage and highly recommend staying away from programs like Imageready generating your HTML.

I suggest you start learning HTML the old fashioned way, looking at the source code of other websites, tutorials, and opening up notepad for an hour session every night of HTML until you become sufficient at writing HTML. Do not be afraid of it.

What's more important than technicals is information, something this page lacks greatly.

I'll get you started on the right foot:

Learning basic HTML:
    http://www.w3schools.com/html/default.asp

Learning everything about HTML:
    http://www.htmldog.com/

Basic website guidelines:
    http://www.searchengineworld.com/misc/guide.htm

Google's website guidelines:
    http://www.google.com/webmasters/guidelines.

And some help with copywriting and a bit of marketing:
    http://www.adcopywriting.com/Tutorials_List.htm

Search Engine Optimization tips by Microsoft:
    http://www.submit-it.com/subopt.htm

Your source of global knowledge when it comes to Search Engine Optimiation:
    http://www.seochat.com/

Good luck with this website and keep us posted for improvements. I know you can do it, you're heading the right way, just allow people like me and others to continue pushing you in the right direction.

8. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Go away.

9. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Who's what's his face. I argue with a lot of people. :run:

10. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

I don't know shit about designing, but I know a lot about website usability, construction, the technology behind that and e-marketing. I've been doing this for the last decade, I better. :o

11. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Going to have to decline. :o I just got a new job and I want to stick with these guys before I move again. I've been switching jobs too much lately.

Thanks for the offer though. I just turned down a great oportunity regarding project managment/web compliance managment position. :wtc:

I should have taken it.

12. James Bond

James Bond Guest

Yes good points indeed, I will save this for the next time I update... as far as the phone number goes, once I put it on I would have people calling my house all hours of the day. And I know a lttle HTML, but not enough to do that whole site. And if I wanted to code that entire webpage it would take me far 2 long, do you know any other html generators that wont fuck up the code so much?

It is a low key business, we sell more out of the yard than online. I just like to run the page so buyers from ebay can see it, or when I run local newspaper ads the website aways gets a lot of attention.

thanks for the page up tips! I will let you guys know when it is updated again

13. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

No problem. If you can't code, focus on the information. If you're weak in one area, try to strengthen it with another. I really don't want to recommend you any editors because it's really a bad spot to start, but if you must, I recommend Macromedia Dreamweaver. HTML isn't that hard. You spend a few weeks alone with it, an hour each night, and you'll get it down pretty quick. It's very basic.

14. James Bond

James Bond Guest

15. James Bond

James Bond Guest

I like the underline extending outlike that

16. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

I highly recommend you completely redoe the layout.

17. James Bond

James Bond Guest

lol @ that I need a good template

18. James Bond

James Bond Guest

And i think im gonna make a navagational imagemap to put on everypage with a logo or something