my video card gets so hot, i can't touch it without getting burned

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Sandwich, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Sandwich

Sandwich OT Supporter

just build a brand new computer.. my visiontek HD 4870 gets extremely hot, is this normal? case temps arent bad but if i put my hand on the card, i can't leave it there for more than 2 or 3 seconds or it seriously hurts(burns) my hand. nothing is over clocked. maybe they just run that hot?

other specs if it matters:
    asus p5q delux
    intel q9400
    4 gig ocz reaper

2. EvanD

EvanD Active Member

My HD4850 was idling at 80 degrees when I got it...under load the fan kicks in and keeps the temps steady around 80 as well. I did the .xml edit and bumped the fan speed to 45% and now it sits at 50 idle.

3. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

the Radeon 4 series do get hot, so it's normal,... which sucks.
    google the 4850/4870 fan fix. the problem with this is that the fan will be louder.
    alternative is to replace the cooler

4. Sandwich

Sandwich OT Supporter

i'm not worried about it getting louder. i'm more concerned with it heat soaking my cpu cooler (xigmatek)... cause it's huge and sits close to the bottom of the video card which is the hottest area. plus the xigmatek's fan sucks air coming from the video card's direction.

maybe i'm just thinking too hard. i'll look into this fan fix though. why put the fan speed to 45%? why not 100%? and what does it run at stock? or does it ramp up and down based on load

5. Sandwich

Sandwich OT Supporter

and also, what utility are you using to see the temps of the card? i'm semi new to all this so bare with me :hsd: havent built a rig in about 4 years prior to this one

6. EvanD

EvanD Active Member

I didnt put the fan speed to 100% because it is damn loud. 50 degrees at idle is good enough for me so I wasn't too concerned with getting it lower. I believe the stock speed is 21 or 22%.

It does ramp up based on load as well so don't worry. I use the CCC to monitor the temps.

7. mitrong

mitrong so cute

generally, people with 4870s raise their fan speed up to 35-45 percent.

8. Sandwich

Sandwich OT Supporter

thanks for the support guys. i did the fan fix last night. first chance i put it up to 75% and HOLY SHIT was it loud. EvanD, you weren't kidding :rofl:

so i backed down to 40% and it's hanging out at like 43C. which is better than the 80C it was at before. Like i said, i was more worried about it heat soaking my CPU cooler, which now shouldnt be a problem

9. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

It doesn't matter how hot it gets so long as it can run at full load indefinitely without shutting off and/or catching fire. As for the CPU cooler, to keep it from getting heatsoaked, you just need to add a fan at the front of the case to blow cool air at the PCI slots, and the turbulence will keep the hot air from the video card away from the CPU.