My used Accord dilema

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Skeeter McGee, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Skeeter McGee

Skeeter McGee New Member

A couple of years ago, I received a FREE 1994 Honda Accord EX. The interior is in excellent shape, but the clearcoat is fading and so is the paint. It recently started leaking oil from the crank seal behind the harmonic balancer and from the rear main seal. The tranny also leaks and I suspect it's going to take a huge shit on me soon. The engine has 144k miles on it. Compression numbers are unknown for now.

1) Do I sell the car and maybe get 3k for it?

2) Swap out the engine and tranny with a jdm F22b1 and replace all the seals, belts, etc.

3) do an H22 swap with manual tranny (auto to manual conversion) Read: pain in my ass

4) do an H22 swap with an auto tranny (still a pain in the ass to locate a TCM for the tranny though)

5) take out the tranny alone, replace rear main seal. Then tackle the other seal behind the crank gear with the engine in the car.

NOTE: I understand that my car with an H22a swap will NOT be fast, but I can justify the cost and effort for 40+ hp and a few ft/lbs of torque. I will be doing all of the labor myself, so $$$ for labor is not applicable. The car is and will remain stock if a swap is done. No rice shit for me.

What say you?

2. RedGoober4Life

RedGoober4Life New Member

I don't know if you will get $3k for it.

3. Skeeter McGee

Skeeter McGee New Member

Neither do I. :hsugh:

4. dezymond

dezymond OT Supporter

shit if it's free just make it a project car, that's what i would do at least.

make it your new beater car

5. Skeeter McGee

Skeeter McGee New Member

I'm working on a MR2 turbo right now for a project and then I'll hopefully have a 240z or a Scout. I really just wanna get this turd taken care of before the tranny shits out or the engine gets oil starved.

I just don't know if I wanna put all that effort into a gutless Honda. :ugh2:

6. meervincent

meervincent New Member

do the jdm motor and trans if your gonna paint, if not throw some seals ans as much rvt seal as you need to stop the leaks and sell that bitch

7. IslanderOffRoad

IslanderOffRoad Do you even lift kit? OT Supporter

Do the H22. Yeah, its won't be fast, but it would be a really enjoyable daily driver.

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Unless you're prepared to strip it down and rebuild it from the frame, it's never going to be new again. Some parts wear out from use, some parts wear out from age. The clean interior is nice, but what about the paint? No point having a project car with rust spots. Get it thoroughly inspected for rust before deciding whether to keep it, then make sure you save enough money to get it repainted by someone better than MAACO after you're done tearing the engine bay apart.

9. Bugalu

Bugalu OT Supporter

if ya like the car, keep it. h22 would be cool, and 40 hp certainly couldent hurt.

10. jim1234664

jim1234664 New Member

dont be rediculous, keep oil and tranny fluid topped off and continue driving for another 5 years

11. 98formyws6

98formyws6 New Member

yeah good lucking getting anything near 3k (being realistic), don't dump any more money into it just drive it till it breaks down and buy another car

12. alltracman78

alltracman78 New Member

Exactly. Unless you're leaving puddles your engine [or trans] isn't going to shit on you. No point in wasting money and time on a new engine if it's just your beater.
    Just make sure you keep the fluids full and you can drive this for years.

13. deusexaethera

That's true, a leak doesn't mean anything's broken, just that a bolt or an O-ring is loose somewhere. It can leak constantly and still run well.

Do a compression test to see if it's worth holding on to.

14. Drifter87

Drifter87 Yippi-kay-ay, Motherfucker

I drove a leaky '97 accord with no issues. You just keep a bottle of everything to top it off whenever you get gas.

15. alltracman78

alltracman78 New Member

Please stop with your useless book answers. Please.
    They just clutter up the issue.

If the engine is running fine there's no need for a compression test.

16. StylishDOHC

StylishDOHC New Member

Just top off the fluids every once in a while and keep driving it...It'll go for years.

17. deusexaethera

Sure there is. You can have a gimpy cylinder and never know it without a compression test. Besides, what's it hurt to know?

18. Skeeter McGee

Skeeter McGee New Member

This car is leaking puddles, guys. I dealt with the car dripping for 2 years, but now it's getting crazy. I'm still on the fence about what I should do. I refuse to buy a new car, as I can't afford it.

19. alltracman78

alltracman78 New Member

In that case I would suggest 5.
    IMO if it's just your beater DD and you're at least somewhat short on cash, no point in spending more than you need to.
    Least amount of money [and work] is going to be 5.
    2 Things though.
    1-How bad is the trans leaking? I assume you'll replace those seals when you pull it?
    2-Have you ever done a T belt on a 4 cyl Accord? It has 2, and is somewhat of a PITA, especially if your new at it. I don't know what your experience level is, so if you've done these at least several times, NP. But if you've never done one, I promise, your first time will be difficult. And you don't want to bend any valves. :)

If you have a "gimpy" cylinder on a 4 cyl, you'll know it.
    If the engine runs fine and is a DD, no need.
    So once again, put the book down, stop giving stupid advice and ASK instead of tell if you're not sure of something.

20. Skeeter McGee

Skeeter McGee New Member

I wasn't aware my car had two timing belts. I'm pretty sure I can do it though. I just replaced the headgasket on my Mr2 turbo with the engine IN the car.

21. deusexaethera

Oh okay, well if you think it's a waste of time to do a compression check to see what condition the engine is in, then I guess there's no point. I forgot you know everything.

I, for one, would do a compression check on an engine even if it appeared to be in pristine condition, just so I'd know exactly how well it's sealing. But then, my attention to detail might be above and beyond what most would care about.

22. StylishDOHC

StylishDOHC New Member

The timing belt is easy, and there isn't really two timing belts one is a balance shaft belt and is much smaller...there are a million write ups on line, but you probably wont need it if you are capable enough to work on an MR2.

If the oil leaks really are that bad, just buy a new rear main and oil pump seal and throw them in, all the other options are a waste of $ if the car runs fine except for the leaks.Getting an H22 in properly will cost you at least $2500.

23. meervincent

meervincent New Member

you should do the crank and rear main seal and get a 5 speed + ecu from a wreckers. a honda auto trans pssing fluid is a tickin time bomb. besides think about the mpg jump with a manual gearbox and the "thrill" of spirited accord driving

24. Skeeter McGee

Skeeter McGee New Member

:rofl: I sense a bit of sarcasm there.

25. meervincent

meervincent New Member

well that shits old and tired. you can have loads of fun revvin the bag off it tho