my upcoming newegg system...advice on items welcome

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by cleverest, Sep 9, 2007.

1. cleverest

cleverest 'Hell' is pagan nonsense

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wishlist/PublicWishDetail.asp?WishListNumber=5581128&WishListTitle=Upcoming+System%2C+SLI+LATER

Note about list: The video card on here is just a cheapo temporary card for the pci express slot until I go SLI at the end of the year with the new nvidia cards coming out...upgrading from an AGP all in wonder x800 card (I never even used the TV functionality so that won't be missed....)

Also I have my own hard drives (3 internal, 1 firewire) and my own optical drives (3), board only has (1) IDE port on the board, the rest is for SATA, hence the adapter to connect my 3rd optical drive...I have 3 optical drives (only one is a writer...a DVD/DL writer) for a specific reason....

Comments, advice, warnings and recommendations to get a better price are all very welcome!

2. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

Why ATI?

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

wow that build makes me want to cry. Why would you waste money on that? The cpu and ram are the only decent components.

4. CodeX

CodeX Guest

Video card is a total piece of shit... are you building a business only machine?

nvm... read the rest of your post. Still, you dont have a cheap video card you could use in the meantime? I wouldn't waste money on that thing

5. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Antec tri-cool fans are well worth the $8 extra.

Are you going to be overclocking? If not, skip the Arctic Cooling cpu cooler.
    The stock Intel cooler works excellent at normal clock speeds.

Skip the sata adapter, and just put the extra $16 into a new sata burner.
    You'll be better off in the long run.

You might want to second guess the SLI issue.
    SLI doesn't play well with all games. And really, the 8800GTX cards
    are fast enough that you can crank everything up anyway.
    The next gen cards you're talking about will be even faster.
    You don't need two cards, unless you just want bragging rights.

And if you won't be overclocking, get an Intel motherboard
    and save yourself some money.

If you do want to overclock, get a Gigabyte P35 board.

The case is ok in an odd sort of way, but all it would be useful for
    is having massive airflow = loud.

Get an Antec Nine Hundred case and put the Antec tri-cool fans in it.
    You'll have a case that doesn't keep you up at night.

6. cleverest

Forgot to mention, my budget is right around $700, hence no quad core....and I'm using my crappy slow laptop right now cause my main system is dead (it's a MB or CPU issue and either way I have to replace them both.....want to purchase by end of SEPT....

Also I'm installing MCE 2005 because I have a OEM (ya legal) version that hasn't been used yet that I picked up quite awhile ago (I have an xbox 360, so I'm gonna get that all synced together)....hence the tv tuner card....

Last edited: Sep 9, 2007
  7. cleverest

thanks but no thanks....that's just not very helpful....most of the components are just cables I need to connect things....for the main items on the list, the motherboard is probably the very highest rated board out there for the chipset (for both SLI and stability while moderately overclocking)...and as I said the video card is a temporary cheapo cheapo card until I get a real nice nvidia card later this year.

If you have alternatives to recommend other then bashing the excellent components I've chosen, then of course I'm all ears....errr eyes rather....

8. cleverest

I don't, I only have a x800 AGP all in wonder card and even if the board had AGP, which is doesn't, the fan on the this card is dying...I'm definitely going Nvidia, just in a few months time....

9. Chris

Chris New Member

:ugh: old video card

you can get a new gen HD 2400 Pro for like $75

and why buy an SLI mobo if your only gonna use 1 vid card?

10. Tenny

Tenny OT Supporter

Dood go to Fry's you'll get more cheaper.

E6750 + Abit P35 Mobo for $229 (after $20 rebate)
    OCZ Reaper PC2 6400 4-4-4-15 $60 (after $40 rebate)

Exactly what I got, and it's cheap as hell.

Then you also said you have hte X800 and you never used the TV functionality, so why the fuck are you getting a TV tuner? If you want the TV Tuner, I got my HDTV Tuner for like $69 like 2 years ago.

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I would not buy those components at frys.

I will buy resistors, solder, cds, etc at frys... But never actual components. It's been returned 3 times, spit on, dragged across carpet, zapped with tasers, used as toilet paper, then sat on by a towlie for a few days. And thats best-case scenario from frys.

12. cleverest

Thanks for all the suggestions

I'll look into those for sure. one concern is that If I go with this case it seems to take larger 120mm fans only, OR the 250mm side fans it comes with....

I do plan on overclocking moderately (nothing super extreme)...hence this board which is rated high for moderate overclocking and stability....also it gives me strong (x16 on both slots) SLI capability IF I decide to do that in the future....

I have a pioneer 111d (crossflashed to a 111L) that I LOVE....I suppose I could get a SATA version if it exists...just trying to save some money...my other two read drives are for reading certain types of specific media so I don't want to get rid of those....

I simply want the capability and support of the board IF I decide to go that route....may very well not go SLI...going to wait for next generation and reviews before I decide....

I likely will overclock a bit, hence the memory and board choice....also the case for extra cooling...

How is this board better then the Asus offering...let's say I decide NOT to go SLI...what advantage will it afford...I could read up on it, but I appreciate any information you give here.

Since I have 3 internal drives I'm wanting a large case with good fans to cool it...I've had overheating issues in my current mid tower case (granted my fan situation sucks right now in this case....)....plus it's always nice to have more space to work with..don't mind the weight or the sound....reviews say the fans are very silent and adjustable even, considering the size of the fans I think it will be worth it....my only concern at this point is replacement parts for the fans...might be a pain in the future....

If I was going MID I would probably pick that up....but I just don't feel it's big enough...I hate to sandwhich my hard-drives together and prefer to have a HD space between each one....may be adding a 4th internal drive soon... (raptor for my boot drive possibly).....

wish I could find this cases in operation at a store to really see and hear them......

Thanks again.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2007
  13. cleverest

Read my revised post...I'm setting this computer up with MCE 2005 which I have a legal OEM version of....going to sync it up with my xbox 360 and it requires a tuner card....recommendations on tuner cards for this OS are very welcome...thanks.

Also I'm pretty sold on the Asus Plus board...seems to get top honors if you do some overclocking and want strong SLI support ready. completely used solid state caps for one thing and is rated very high in stability across the board.... (perhaps I won't go SLI but I like to have the ability ready)

Last edited: Sep 9, 2007
  14. cleverest

Dude you are just full of "wouldn't do that" wisdom...but what WOULD YOU BUY/DO? I'm mad curious at this point.

15. Tenny

Tenny OT Supporter

Go to Frys, buy the combo, return the mobo, (thus you get the processor for like $150, and it's retail fyi)

16. cleverest

Doc Brown,

Reading more about the antec 900 case...for a mid tower it seems that it would work great for cooling, even with multiple hard drives....

my only reason to get a full tower then would be SLI compatiblity (room)....and ease of working inside of the system....possibly better cooling with the 250mm cases....although potentially louder.....

I really like what I'm seeing with the 900 though....I've heard a 1200 is coming out...can't wait to see that one available.

17. cleverest

It's a RETAIL box?! Wow...I'll look into that. They will let you return a PORTION of a combo deal? You've done this successfully?

18. cleverest

thanks for recommendation on the hd 2400, ill look into that, but this is just a placeholder card...I'm getting a SLI board for future generation cards, not my current setup as my post mentioned.

19. DaveyD

DaveyD Fuck Ohio State, son

mother fucking in for this post

20. cleverest

:bigthumb:

21. cleverest

Chris,

Well I've researched the "new gen hd 2400" as you put it....Think I'll stick with the x1650 for the same budget price....looks like the HD 2400 is nothing but an entry level DX 10 card...and cripples DX9 games compared to the older x1650 card which appears to outperform it in most cases....I would rather have the best cheapo DX9 card possible with titles that actually exist vs. a cripple dx 10 card, when I plan on buying the best dx10 solution in a few months anyways....

Only advantage would be to have hardware HD decoding for HD video, but I have an excellent software codec for that that works 95% good with a P4 3.ghz cpu, with the dual core processor I'm getting, it will be way more then adequate.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

22. DaveyD

DaveyD Fuck Ohio State, son

IBhedoesntpostshit

23. Doc Brown

Ahaha, wtf

:rofl:

24. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

The Freezer Pro already has Arctic Cooling's MX-1 pre-applied.
    I'd use that instead of AS5.

Fuck SLI.
    Fuck LED fans.

25. Doc Brown

The SLI situation could cause problems with the nine hundred.
    The 8800 cards, and probably the next gen cards, are pretty damned long. And you would most likely have trouble with the drives being a bit close to the motherboard space.
    The XCLIO can hold a 12x13 server board, so it obviously has enough room in there. Probably better to get that case.
    I would still get the Antec tri-cool fans for it though.

As far as the motherboards go, I prefer the Gigabyte P35 boards, because that is
    the Intel chipset, vs the nVidia chipset on the Asus 650 boards.
    You can't do SLI with the Intel chipsets though, so you have to decide whether you realistically will do that or not.

And better yet, would be to realize that you are buying one badass mofo of a cpu,
    and get an Intel motherboard for it and call it a day - sans overclocking.