SRS My turn, chasin a girl

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Warder60, Feb 1, 2007.

1. Warder60

Warder60 New Member

Well, I went through a lot of the archives and read a lot in here and it's already learnt me lots. But I'd appreciate y'alls opinions on one particular situation, to kinda "test" my newly developed ideas.

I'm a college kid, started on co-op (spring/summer internship) this semester. About a month ago now, first day of work, at orientation I bump into this girl, talk for a few minutes, then I head out to my cube. The end of the week I bring her up on the internal MSN messenger and chat for a few - how you likin it? etc.

Chat briefly once or twice on MSN the next week. I see her maybe 2, 3 times at other new hire/co-op events - mostly I'm socializing in one group, her in another.

Last week I send her a msg - Want to get lunch? I'm actually going out of town, maybe another time?
    So I waited till later that day, sent her option 2 - sounds great.

So this past tuesday we had lunch together, I enjoyed it and told her as much with a similar response. Got her number and she took mine.

Yesterday night, i called her with the intent of inviting her bowling this weekend - got voicemail, I left a quick msg Hey, I'll try you again at a better time.

Now we're at today. I'm thinking I should wait for this superbowl weekend to blow by, and call again mon or tue night. But any advice is appreciated!

Thanks OT

2. MissKitty

MissKitty If squats were easy they'd be called 'Your Mum' OT Supporter

Well I had trouble following your post but I will do my best.

I don't believe in playing games when trying to get to know someone you like. if you like them you should just ask them out and make the effort. But in this situation I think if you have left the msg on her machine it is now in her court and up to her to call you back.

Don't hound her she will think you are a freak in most cases and most likely make her like you less.

3. Lateralus

Lateralus New Member

You called her and left her a message that's good enough for now, no reason to call her again if she hasn't gotten back to you yet. Waiting out the weekend might be a good idea, give her a call or try to get in contact with her at work early in the week and ask her on a "date" if you're really interested in her.

4. Warder60

Warder60 New Member

Sorry - was kinda rushed typing that up, and I see what you mean. My thoughts didn't make it out too clear :hsughr:

I tend to make friends easy. So I've been trying to stop myself from doing that with her. Hopefully can get her on a date soon and I can start seeing where things are.

What do you guys think about IMing? I've always thought it's not impressionable enough for romantic interests. No emotion and easy to hide behind - easier to face (or offer) rejection, at least this early. Thus, my plan is to try the phone again monday, for the following weekend.

5. MissKitty

MissKitty If squats were easy they'd be called 'Your Mum' OT Supporter

I think IM'ing can be good and definitely a great way to get to know people. It doesn't really work though when you don't have the guts to say the same things to their face.

You need to keep your persona's consistent and make sure you don't come across as fake

6. PocoDiablo

PocoDiablo New Member

I think you should STOP IM'ing her now that you have her phone number. The very fact that she gave it to you is a signal that she is interested in you. Calling and leaving the short message was GREAT. However, I would recommend you invite her out on a date, and use the word "date" when you talk to her. Just say something like "Hey, you seem reasonably sane, I'd like to get to know you better. Let's go on a date, this Thursday, 6:00, at Chadwicks. We can have a drink or two, and take it from there."

At this point if you keep IM'ing, or if you invite her BOWLING :ugh: :lol: she is going to think you just want to be friends. Don't fall into that trap! You have to make your intentions clear (aka "I like you") without saying it. Asking her on a date is signaling it clearly.

I wrote a big article about it here and here's a snippet:

So, I hope that helps. I think you are in the PERFECT POSITION TO ASK HER ON A DATE. If you were to wait any more, you'd risk it being more difficult, and if you were any sooner you would have jumped the gun.

Go for it! :bigthumb:

7. Warder60

Warder60 New Member

Well, age is an issue so going for drinks isn't going to work so well. We currently have a -20 deg wind chill. I figured have fun (bowling a game or two) then ask her to join me for a warm drink at a Panera's.
    What exactly does "bowling" imply? I always liked it because I used to play on leagues, and used to be pretty decent. Usually I can give basic tips and help her game. And with this weather, the parks are a no for now. The local mall is slowly going out of business and only at about half capacity now, with the "nicer" malls both 30ish mins (depends on traffic) away.

Thanks for the info so far!

8. fhfn2000

fhfn2000 New Member

bowling seems fine to me, but then again my skills aren't particularly outstanding :hsughno:

9. PocoDiablo

PocoDiablo New Member

The only reason to stay away from bowing is exactly what you said - you're going to be treating her like a "client" or a "student." I would recommend you just go do the hot drink and sit and talk! That will tell you everything you need to know. If you go some place nice, it will also allow you to judge her interest level in you by how nicely she is made up. If she comes in sweat pants, maybe not so much... if she comes in a skirt, hair all made up, etc... then she probably is trying to look good to impress you.

Get it? :)