MMA My thoughts on UFC 92, after further review

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by ZSPTurbo, Dec 31, 2008.

1. ZSPTurbo

ZSPTurbo New Member

1) Kongo is a dirty fighter. Right at the end, did he poke al turk in the eye or just punch him right in the eye socket?

2) Wanderlei Silva needs to retire or take at least 2 years off now. For the sake of his cerebral health, and therefore the sport. We don't need a posterchild for brain damage.

3) On that note, don't go too crazy about how nogueira has taken so many beatings and he's damaged. He was actually injured in the fight as well. Hopefully he's going to take some time off and come back as a gatekeeper. He has students to teach and the last of his youth is fading, incase you didn't notice the bald spot.

3) Pat Barry is a bad man.

4) I didn't care about CB dollaway and Mike Massenzio before this fight. Nothing happened in the fight to make me care now.

5) Frank Mir is FOR REAL. He will beat Lesnar again, defend against kongo, and we will have a TRUE champion in the heavyweight division.

6) Rashad evans is great. This sentence stops a rhyme. Lets get that straight. The rashad that we saw at UFC 92 is the best heavyweight in the game now or any time before. His striking was strategic and measured, his head and body movement was completely dynamic (I mean that in the real sense, not the ufc commentator sense of it) and his jaw looked solid. The question is, can Lyoto defeat him? I can tell you thiago silva can not, unless he's got something new for us.

On a side note, don't be surprised to see Rashad Evans start working with erik paulson or some other catch wrestler soon. Just a hunch.

7) Yushin okami should do the japanese thing and start dressing up like a giant pink elephant. Because that's what he is. a 185 pound pink elephant in the room.

2. THE LIOG

THE LIOG EVVVVVVVVEERRYYOONNNNNNNE EEEEE

agreed on all points

3. kroneX

kroneX New Member

Rashad is a LHW not a HW as u stated in your post

Yushin should get a title shot

I pretty much agree with most of what you have said

4. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Do you steal all your talking points from sherdog?

5. roose

roose Guest

I came into the cage wondering to myself, what did ZSPTurbo think about UFC 92.

Voila.

This thread.

6. $lacker

$lacker FD/Dental/Canadian/Cage Crews OT Supporter

Silva will wreck his leg with leg kicks - see Pat Barry's fight

7. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

Why on earth would Rashad work with Paulson when he is already at Jacksons?

8. dragomungus

dragomungus New Member

To learn submissions?

No one from Jacksons camp wins fight via submission.

9. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

You are right, he wouldn't learn submissions from GSP, Nate, or Jackson himself

10. dragomungus

dragomungus New Member

No one said anything about learning anything. None of Jackson's fighters use submissions. Nate trains in Colorado for 80% of his training. He's a black belt and still rarely submits people (since he started with Jackson). GSP subbed Hughes but that was before he moved to Jacksons.

Jacksons only real sub grappler left the school for Riberio's place..

Before the Rashad fight - Goldberg said that in ALL of his UFC fights, Rashad had never even ATTEMPTED a submission. He's been with Jackson's camp the entire time. So you're saying he doesn't need work with submissions?

11. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

Seems to me like everything has worked out fine so far

12. HouseLing

HouseLing When masturbations lost its fun you'r fucking lazy

You don't necessarily need submissions to have success in MMA. Especially if it's not your strong suit and you are opening yourself up for a sweep or a scrambe if you fail. Nice to have off your back though :o

13. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

1) Do you think Kongo intentionally poked him in the eye? get real.

2) Wand has been KO'd 3 times in 30+ fights. And he needs to take 2 years off? what is that going to do? make him even older so he can recover worse and be riddled with ring rust? thats gonna help him a ton.

3) you are nuts if you think Wanderlei is in anyway a better candidate for brain damage. And the mother fucker wasnt injured. He showed up to the fight just like he has to the last two but this time he got put away. Only thing he showed up tot he fight was Brazillian.

5) Lol at Mir nuthugging. this is getting hilarious. His stand up looked sloppy, his grappling is not so good that he can rely solely on that. Lesnar will smash that stupid flavor savor patch off his ugly dome.

6) Rashad hasnt been a heavyweight in a long time. Rashad's striking looked great, but he didnt do shit on the feet. He cant check a kick (not sure how dynamic that is), and he has not faced nearly the level of 205 competition that many of his predecessors have. To call him the best ever is beyond insane right now. He beat Forrest Griffin, let the man defend his belt a few times.

14. dragomungus

dragomungus New Member

DOT

15. HouseLing

HouseLing When masturbations lost its fun you'r fucking lazy

Wait he called rashad the best ever? I'm glad I got bored after his second point and skipped ahead of this worthless shit :rofl:

16. Helios

Helios New Member

:bowrofl: @ Rashad being the best ever

17. bennyandthejet

bennyandthejet nom nom nom

Rashad was losing the fight until the stoppage, definitely not even close to the best ever when he beat an aging Liddell, and Griffin.

18. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

i think page has a better chance of beating rashad than forrest did

19. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

ZSPTurbo

sorry bro, but you need more rep points before someone as awesome as me reads your thread.

20. ZSPTurbo

ZSPTurbo New Member

1) No I think he kneed him in the groin on purpose though. The eye poke was just a question. He might have thrown that lead hand open on purpose, saw kevin burns and thought that wasnt a bad idea lol

2) The reason he needs to take time off is to let his brain repair itself. Knockouts are concussions. The rapid succession of these knockouts is related.

3) I train at team Nogueira Miami. A little bird told me he was injured.

6) The heavyweight thing was a typo. And I didn't say he had the best record, but rashad does have the best skills around. Checking kicks is a strategic decision, he knew forrest was going to throw them and they planned not to check them. Their game plan was to catch them. Thats why rashad didn't look like he was doing a lot on the feet - you have to get inside the fighters head, and imagine why they are doing what they're doing. You can't judge a real fight based on the amount of damage like a video game, or how cool it looks like an action movie. True, he hasn't faced the tough opposition yet, but it's coming now and mark my words he'll measure up just fine.

If you think he's not that good because his record doesnt have the big names on it, then you need to re-asses how you analyze fights. The fighters records don't fight one another, the people do.

21. Redneck Shinobi

Redneck Shinobi Well Jules, the funny thing about my back is that

Come on every fighter coming in there is never 100%. I don't care about Nog's excuses, he has not been impressive lately and that loss will need to be redeemed. I honestly don't remember him even throwing a punch.

22. Kuet

Kuet New Member

agreed, but i dont want wanderlei to retire, and i think it just depends on his mental toughness at this point.

There are plenty of ppl besides thiago silva :hsugh:that could challenge and beat rashad. HE WILL NOT BE CHAMP FOR LONG MARK MY WORDS.

23. Helios

Helios New Member

Of course he won't. The LHW division is stacked with too much talent for anyone to be a clear/long running champ right now.

It's not like he's A.Silva and has no serious competition.