MMA My thoughts on Rubber guard

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by kroneX, Jul 27, 2009.

1. kroneX

kroneX New Member

Just bored and I think I would compile my thoughts on rubberguard. I dont do rubberguard but This is just my view on the pros and cons of it

PROS:
    1. Keeps your opponent broken down (I guess this is a good thing in MMA, however not nessassarily always true in bjj)
    2.Very threatening position with a few deadly submissions from it
    3. Flowchart of moves to do from each position

CONS:
    1. You lose a lot of movement in your hips keeping your opponent down like that. This makes it a bad place to execute armdrags/ giftwraps and other positional moves
    2. Lots of idiots out there with the rubberguard with little or no idea how to use it
    3. extremely structured guard, anyone who is familiar with the rubberguard can see moves coming.
    4. Far to complicated

Now my guard game is based entirely around hipping out, taking the back, gift wrapping and armdrags. It is a very quick and tricky style of bjj. This is why I don't like the rubber guard, it does not suit my personal style of bjj due to its huge restriction of hip movement.

My other reason I don't like the game is cause its complicated. Complicated moves suck balls in my opinion. This is highlighted by the fact that in all the competitions I went in as a white belt I tried doing these complicated moves, and they never paid off, cause I always forgot some minor details. Simplicity is the essense of all effective combat styles, so on this account the rubber guard fails miserably. My bjj is extremely basic but effective, this is highlighted by the top bjj artists who use the same basics I use but do them much better than I could ever dream of doing them. When was the last time you saw top level bjj where someone finishes off with some fancy rubberguard shit? Eddie Bravo has had plenty of time to compete or train competitors using his style of bjj but hasn't produced any results so far with it.

As for adding the rubber guard as another aspect of my game... Well

2. ZZex

ZZex New Member

Probably a good idea. Imagine people learning/drilling Rubber Guard moves and not the basics. Shit even people at 10PJJ know basics, I hope

3. ZZex

ZZex New Member

I'd be funny if your friend pulls off a gogoplata on his debut and shows you who's boss

Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
  4. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

I worked a tournament this past weekened and can't tell you how many times I saw white belts throw the rubber guard up incorrectly or did it as a last ditch effort to keep someone from trying to pass their guard.

IMO it creates a lot of bad habits. Learn the basics, then try to figure out how to incorporate the more advanced stuff in.

5. dragomungus

dragomungus New Member

Kip and Kirik from NAGA made a thread on the UG the other day about how the rubber guard is the most used "new" technique they see in tournaments and has changed jiu jitsu more than anything in the past 15 years. They said that they see some (often brutal) form of it in about 50% of matches - yet other newer techniques they only see 1/10 matches or something..

As much as I hate on it - you can't deny people are trying to use it. I only use it to stall when I'm tired and can pull a leg up with my fat ass

6. GeeGee

GeeGee New Member

I honestly don't like the rubber guard at all. Everyone I know that tries to use it is below blue belt level and has minimal success.

There is this really cool guy in bjj that is like 6'1 and 260.. chubby diesel type. He's in love with RG but has the flexibility of a dining table. I always try to convince him to stop that shit whenever he trys it on me by countering all of his RG techs and pointing out what he should have done. Guy still doesnt listen. If he stopped trying to play a small flexible guy's game and instead used his attributes he would progress so much faster.

Edit: Went in his car the other day and he was playing Eddie Bravo's CD. LOL

Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
  7. ZZex

ZZex New Member

Don't you have to be major flexiable to have a greater advantage with the RG? I find myself pretty flexiable with long legs, but I can never pull some of those RG moves. I can't even do it without cramping. I can't imagine some of these bigger guys doing RG.

I have no idea why new belts mainly are so interested in RG. Props to Eddie for beating Royler with it in ADCC. Grats for Joe Rogan saying the word RG or using RG term in every UFC fight. I was talking to this one kid who studies the UFC religiously. 18 year old who is training for MMA at the moment. He said he'll use the rubber guard and just trap guys there. I asked him if he heard of Roger Gracie. He said no. I asked him if he knew what the Gracies did for the UFC at least. At least he knew the answer to that. But the guy didn't understand my lecture about the basis of basics. :dunno:

8. TCMS

TCMS OT Supporter

Posture. Posture. Posture.

9. roose

roose Guest

I'm a five month white belt.

I've got crazy flexibility in my hips, so I use the rubber guard when it's available.

I won't spend the whole roll looking for it, but if it's there I'll use it.

It surprises a lot of guys and I have had a lot of success hipping out and taking the back, or going to omoplata attempts/transitions.

It'll never be the center of my game, but to completely dismiss and ignore it would be ignorant.

I'm also really good at remembering complicated things because I'm not a dolt and only speak on things I have first hand experience with.

10. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

don't you train out of a non-gym?

11. prophit

prophit OT Supporter

Its easy to counter when you know what you're doing. You're better off working on the basics and getting them tight as shit before worrying about that crazy stuff. Speaking from personal experience its easy to stifle.

Keep posture.. beat rubber guard. :jerkit:

I know from personal experience I have a tougher roll with someone from the soares camp than someone with similar time on the mat who's from 10th planet. :hsd:

basics ftw.

12. prophit

prophit OT Supporter

where are you training these days roose?

13. LOLSTi

LOLSTi DTOM

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

...that is all you needed to post.

14. urbantiger

urbantiger Hardcore Lurker

The rubber guard is not that hard to shut down

15. prophit

prophit OT Supporter

16. rtzcom

rtzcom bon wons! fight slepa for life sone!~

i gave up on rubber guard at this point lol

17. cswfighter

cswfighter New Member

Well it opens a whole nother part to your game but i have never really encountered anyone good enough to ever really do much damage with it.

18. Redneck Shinobi

Redneck Shinobi Well Jules, the funny thing about my back is that

I understand why everyone hates Rubberguard, but there are some very talented grapplers that can utalize it. I agree with drilling the basics, but if an oppertunity is there rolling, why not take it? I actually haven't noticed a lot of rubber guard users in tournaments, well maybe not true I see it more in no-gi.

19. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

recently ive seen it done at a high level, its a good guard but there are a lot of details a lot of people leave out (Such as the far side foot being placed tight on their hip). Also, the smoother the transitions to other moves/positions the more effective the guard will be. Its not about just tunnel visioning one move and then calling the guard obsolete when it doesn't work lol.

20. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

oh and I don't use the rubber guard primarily but those principles apply basically for any position/move...

21. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

Whenever starts the rubber guard on me, the instant I feel them releasing to get a better grip, I just bail out and then we're in open guard.

:dunno:

22. roose

roose Guest

You come across as a real elitist prick. Do you talk down to all the white belts at your school?

23. roose

roose Guest

West Coast MMA still ;)

24. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

its a great guard actually. but it should only be worried about if youre purple and up. its actually really similar to my whole overhook thing. all about getting your opponents hand on the mat. i can play rubber guard decently without being taught formally because the mechanics are sorta the same.

but yeah.. people hate it because the noobs love it to death, suck at it.. and then give it a bad name.

25. Optamix

Optamix New Member

I use rubber guard in MMA to keep black guys from pounding me in the face. I look for the gogo but mostly I just use it to keep them broken down.