SRS My therapist believes I have ADD

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by busydoingnothing, Mar 10, 2007.

1. busydoingnothing

busydoingnothing A broken man too tough to cry

I've been seeing him since Oct 05 for OCD/anxiety, but we never really touched on the topic of OCD. We started talking about how I am constantly daydreaming and rarely ever present or focused on what is going on around me, mostly in class. He gave me a quiz to take and I scored pretty high. He referred me to a psychiatrist for further evaluation/meds.

I've always thought that I might be ADD/ADHD...the symptoms are pretty clear. I'm wondering if anyone else here is being treated for ADD/ADHD, and if so, what meds are you taking and how are they working? I used to take Effexor for depression and I'm really not excited about going back on meds, especially if they'll have sexual side effects or make me even more blah than I usually am.

2. American SuperBeast

American SuperBeast New Member

i was diagnosed with add and i forget what i took but honestly after a couple months it didnt help. it also didnt have any side effects either except some anger issues that got me kicked out of school but i stopped it then and ive been fine ever since so as far as i know they wont have any side effects so good luck wit it i hope it works for you cuz it didnt work for me instead i try and control it myself. works decently but at first takes a lot of work

3. BradUF

BradUF Guest

That quiz they give is so fucking dumb. It is like 10 questions. Strettera is the best but for some people it has sexual side effects. Adderal works but migth cause you to have sleeping problems.

4. American SuperBeast

i think i took strattera i didnt notice any sexual side effects it was new when they gave it too me butstill for me nothin worked

5. Midgetized

Midgetized Don't mess with Douche Cat

How is your life going now? Are you able to function enough in class and work to do well? Is the distraction problem so bad that it's causing you to fail classes or lose jobs? Are you going out and getting into trouble-fights, doing illegal things, etc? If things are basically ok then you can probably get by without meds. Eating healthly, exercising, getting enough sleep and doing some type of behavioral therapy may be all you need. Either way, if you aren't sure if you want to deal with meds, don't let the psychiatrist prescribe them to you right away. Tell them you want to discuss other ways to manage your problems first before you consider taking meds. A lot of doctors just like to give out meds first without taking the time to really get to know you and understand what your needs are.

6. busydoingnothing

busydoingnothing A broken man too tough to cry

I'm definitely not getting into trouble and doing illegal shit, and I am able to function enough in class and work to do well...my first semester of college I got a 3.9 and second semester I got a 4.0. I've always tested well, even in high school when I never did homework and never studied. This is the one thing that doesn't make sense to me, how I can do well despite the fact that I'm hardly paying attention at all. I never studied in high school because I just couldn't sit down and focus and absorb all the information for a test. I still have that problem now. I'll be sitting there with my notes, I'll be reading some words, and I'm just scanning the page and not really soaking it in. Still, I don't know how I can grade so well.

My biggest problem is with the racing thoughts. My mind will not stop going. It's constantly streaming music, conversation, overanalying everything, intellectualizing my emotions, thinking about every god damn thing. In class, I will be copying the notes down, the professor will be talking, and I hear him, but I'm not completely absorbing his words. I will try to focus on each word and let it soak in, but a minute later, my mind will be off again.

I also have some moments where I am so completely energetic, like I'm overflowing with energy. I will feel somewhat out of control, and will just be very high and jumpy and just want to explode. I've had that as a kid and I still have it. It's like I'll be completely depressed for a period, and then all of the sudden, I will erupt in this massive ball of energy.

7. American SuperBeast

Theres something that still happens to me personally i try to just ignore it and yet it still happens but also with the talking and hearing but not really listening well that simply is you must focus and continue to do so. Medication i dont think can help with that. im not a doctor but yea. and thinking about everything i do that a lot still i hate it but sometimes it helps lol.

8. Midgetized

Midgetized Don't mess with Douche Cat

Damn you sound exactly like me :hs:

I was the same way in school my whole life. I graduated college recently and got a 4.0 in my major even though I never went to class and hardly did a thing. I would read the stuff the night before and remember it enough to do great on a test.

Yeah, the racing thoughts part definitely sucks. I find it almost imposible to relax because my mind just doesn't slow down. I've taken adderall a couple times before and it helped me focus my energy towards getting things done but it still didn't slow the thoughts down, I think they were just a little more focused. I'm not sure if the ADD meds help that or not, something like strattera might since it's not a stimulant. I've never been prescribed meds cause I don't know if it's worth dealing with any side effects. I don't want to not be energetic cause that part is kinda fun, even though other people may think you're a little nuts :o I think you can probably live without meds if you want to, the key is just to find some type of job where you can put all the energy to good use and use it to be really great at the job. I haven't found any type of job like that that I'd like to do yet though :hs:

9. LKJR

LKJR Member

have you noticed a difference in the tics? I"m with ya on this one, I"ve found diet makes a big difference as does stress, but i'm 29 and I want these little tics to go away so I can be normal.

10. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

On Clonidine I don't tic at all... because I'm asleep. :(

11. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

it's common to have one disorder and then get dx'd with a slew of others.

<-- bipolar, ADD, OCD, GAD

So, it's not uncommon. ADD sucks but I deal with it... I get my shit done ASAP and sit around at my desk at work twirling my pen around.

12. PocoDiablo

PocoDiablo New Member

Sounds like a sugar rush. :mamoru:

In all seriousness, you *might* have a real medical condition, but you know what? I'm EXACTLY the same and after 37 years I've come to the conclusion that I'm fucking BORED.

I was BORED as shit in school. I hate my job. Most things bore me to death. And that means.... :dunno: I'm crazy? Hardly. Most people I know are like this. You sound conscious, smart, and energetic. Why not put that to use doing something? Get some exercise, eat less sugar and crap, and get out of the house! :wavey: