TAT My Tattoo Story

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by Laurel, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Laurel

Laurel New Member

[​IMG]Cut and paste from my BMEzine experience. :)

It began the morning of June 11th, 2003. I went home from my steering suspension and brakes class early that day because of a developing migraine. When I got home, I passed my older brother in our kitchen, he said he was headed over to my mother's rental property to do yardwork. My only sibling, my 21 year old brother had spent his teens experimenting with various drugs. At the age of 19 he had a breakdown, and was diagnosed with schizophrenia and depression, no doubt, caused by his recreational habits. He tried to slit his throat in the winter of 2002, but was unsuccessful, when his roommate knocked on the bathroom door, needing to pee. Jonah, being very courteous let him in right away, and his roommate called 911. My brother ended up in Harborview medical center, in the psych ward for a couple months, and then found a place where he could be "watched" a little more carefully in a group home. He kept bouncing in and out of hospitals due to his naiive behaviors(such as giving the girlfriends of 2 big strong guys beads and kisses at a rave, and consequently getting his ass kicked pretty badly). I made it into the bathroom just in time to vomit, I then passed out on the floor. I awoke around 12:30 to my mother's partner, Susan coming home. She said that she had just been over to the rental and hadn't seen Jonah anywhere, and was worried. Over tea, voiced our hopes that he had taken her truck and gone to Montana to start the organic ranch that he had dreamed about. We were waiting for something to happen, we just didn't know what. I slowly got dressed again, then came the phone call. My mother called the house, saying that washington state patrol had just contacted her, and told her to stay where she was(she travels to different nursing homes checking in patients and whatnot). Susan and myself jumped into her car, and made the 25 minute drive in 15. We got there just in time to see the Washington State Patrol get out of the county coroner's van. I felt a surge of pain, knowing deep down what ha "\Ãw"ë d happened, but not allowing myself to believe it. We walked into the nursing home to see my mom, sick with worry, sitting in one of the rooms that they take family into to tell them that they have just lost their mother or father. Following us soon after was the coroner and the state patrolman. My brother had swan-dived off a freeway overpass, with his arms out like he was flying, onto I-5 at 10:59 am, not more than a half hour after I had seen him in our kitchen.

Fast forward 4.5 months, and we're in Mexico, celebrating my brother's and my birthdays(we were born 4 years and one day apart). The day between our birthdays, I was washing dishes in the kitchen of our palapa, in preparation to spend the weekend in the city, when I was stung by a scorpion. It wasn't a particularly painful sting, more scary than anything,and not of a poisonous variety, my finger merely went numb for the remainder of the day. It was a sign to me though. As my 18th birthday was coming up, I had put a lot of thought into getting a tattoo. I decided that if I were to get one, I wanted it to be a reminder of my brother. I didn't want to get any words or crosses or anything, as we were not religious in that sense. Then I remembered my brother's tattoo. He was a scorpio(and so was I, given our birthday's proximity to each other), and had a tribal style outline tattoo of a scorpion between his shoulder blades. Upon returning to the states, I made an appointment for the following weekend with Slave to the Needle, a studio in Seattle that my mom's girlfriend swears by(though she has no work done by them). I spent the next week drafting up designs for something that would be etched into my skin for the duration of my life. I settled on a solid black, very simple, tribal style scorpion, quite imperfect, just like my relationship with my brother. I went in on November 8th, showed the design to my artist, Josh, and he made a few changes, then it was time to ink. It was small, about 2.5 inches tall, positioned in the center of my back, about 6" below the knobby bone at the base of my neck, a little smaller and a little higher than my brother's. Actual ink time was about 25 minutes, it didn't hurt much, and I followed my mother's advice, and spent time praying for my brother, and focusing on the scorpion "kiss" that my brother had sent to me. I was very happy with how the design turned out, and I looked at my back in the mirror every chance I got for the next few months.

Fast forward 11 months, that tattoo had fully healed, and I loved it, but was relatively unsatisfied with the size. I made a decision to go back, and see what they could do to make the design bigger. I'm not talking add stuff to the outside, I wanted the actual scorpion bigger. They traced my original, so the artist could design one to cover the existing solid black one. I made an appointment with Josh for 3 weeks in the future, October 20th, to give myself time to be sure that this was something that I was sure I wanted to do, and to scrape together the $200-$300 that it would take. A week before the scheduled date, I was in the shop, waiting for my boyfriend to get his first tattoo, when I ran across Josh, and we discussed the design, I made it very clear to him that I definitely did not want a gnarly, ferocious looking scorpion with blood on the claws and venom dripping from the stinger. I also got the okay to have some of my brother's ashes mixed into the ink, so I could have part of my brother with me forever. I came in with my boyfriend the day of the tattoo, my mom and her girlfriend also felt that it was important that they be there for me, so the four of us hung out in the studio while Josh prepared things. Then started the tattoo. The outlines hurt far more than I remember on the other, but they are far longer and spread to different parts of my back, Josh said the closer they get to the kidneys the more they hurt usually. After about 1.5 hours, the tattoo was done, and I was high on endorphins. The design ended up around 6" long, taking up the majority of the room between my shoulder blades. It was a more intricate design than my first, with tones of grey, and very not gnarly looking. I had an amazing experience, and everytime I think of or look at my tattoo, I am reminded of the life of my only sibling and all of our memories together

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2005
  2. Kpac0

Kpac0 Guest

thats a horrible story and a wonderful one mixed together. sorry about your brother, but way to get a tatoo that actually means something to you. too many people just go with the trendy chinese shit.

:wavey:

3. Laurel

Laurel New Member

yeah, that stuff bugs me

4. Kriz

Kriz Active Member

Thats a killer tat. The story is unfortunate but at least you have a part of him to carry with you.

5. Laurel

Laurel New Member

thanks

6. armond

armond New Member

Wow, sorry about your bro. Your tat is very meaningful, and I hope it reminds you of all the good times.