My Take on: The Descent *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Cat in a Hat, Aug 16, 2006.

1. Cat in a Hat

Cat in a Hat New Member

I really did expect this movie to be just like the bomb named "The Cave" which was released a year or two ago. I was proven wrong. While this movie definetly could have been scarier, it had its moments indeed. I also have a great fear of caves in general, so bear with me if you thought the movie wasn't scary at all.

The plot is typical, similar to any movie like itself. A group of adventurers (all women, which is a change from most horror movies) sets off on a caving trip to do some bonding after one of the girls husband is killed in a seat jumping and gory car-wreck. The lead girl who setup the entire trip says it is a heavily traveled cave for tourists. Various haunting signs of death (such as dead animals and bloody marks on walls) surround them as they continue towards and through the cave entrance. For me, this was the scariest part of the movie. And I really wished that it had been like that for further into the movie. The instant they showed the bat-like predators and when poeple started dying, the movie turned from thriller to the typical horror gorefest that inhabit America's movie theaters. Pretty much half of the movie was great, and half was gore.

The acting crew is relatively good. They are not too believeable at the beginning, but they are fine when they enter the cave. They serve their horror movie fodder-purpose. Some of the moments between them are a bit gut-wrenching (both literally and emotionally). The cinmatogrophy is quite good. Just enough light is given htoughout the movie so you can tell what is going on. At some times I found the movie to be extremely claustrophobic and disorienting, which made the movie even greater. Even though I couldn't tell who was dying, it was still a good adrenaline rush. However, it would have been better if the characters were more distinguished at the beginning so I could tell them apart later on.

The gore is pretty good. It isn't all out disgusting, it just adds to the grit of the movie. There are plenty of human eating moments and gory stabbing and bites. Nightvision on a video camera is also used to make a great atmosphere. I think that the movie would have been even better if filmed in the "Blair Witch Project" style. Also, the movie would have been much scarier if they had not revealed the monsters so early and so clearly. Also, some of the fight scenes were a bit tasteless, such as when the women start biting the monsters and ripping out their flesh. But hey, it is gritty and really, really fucked up. Especially the part where the girl starts attacking the other to stay alive. FUBAR

Overall, this movie could have been a great horror film if the director had not chosen to go the gore route rather than the thriller route. It really is a shame that it could have been much better. And at the end, you may be begging for some of those girls to die.

I would give it a 6.5 out of 10.

2. 9volt

9volt If you see me running, try to keep up

The girls never bit the monsters.

And the girl attacked the other girl accidently.

And the scene where the girl drives a pick into the other girl's leg was for revenge, not so much to stay alive.

3. Zeromancer

Zeromancer Pampita's Love Slave

I like the movie just the way it is (UK ending).

4. Blue Leaves

Blue Leaves Active Member

how does the US version end? i watched the UK version

5. Zeromancer

Zeromancer Pampita's Love Slave

6. Blue Leaves

Blue Leaves Active Member

:bigthumb:

7. Cat in a Hat

Cat in a Hat New Member

Yes they did. Watch it more carefully. At least they did in the UK version, which I did not see in theaters :coolugh: