My sweet Z6 Corvette project

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by NorthPac, Apr 29, 2005.

1. NorthPac

NorthPac New Member

My sweet Z7 Corvette project

First thing let me tell you that doing a Corvette it not easy, and it’s a specialty to know how to work on one, Specially a BLACK ones! Its kept out in the sun, traveled a lot so the oils in the paint was depleted a lot which made it a black dark gray but still looked ok. It also had allot of bad scratches. The Zaino problem was not my only problem. First thing I clayed, taped, heavy duty compound, polished, 3m black car glazed, polished again. I did this under a 1000 watt halogen & florescent lights. Luckily I had a hoist to raise it up which made the work a lot easier. I figured that glazing it once was enough, far from it, even under the artificial lights I could not tell until I took the car out in the sun and bam till imperfections. So a glazed again, much better, took it in the sun, still some imperfections, I want it perfect. I been working on that Corvette sense Monday. The things that I have learned is this, Black painted fiberglass is tricky nothing like anything else what is painted black. I just don't know if the heat from the sun is soaking up the oils and changing the looks to black gray? Because under the shop lights is looks good. I can only glaze with so much heat from the rotary because of fiberglass heats up quick. OK right now I have to reglaze the hood, roof & trunk because of the imperfections of dark gray black color here and there. I have glazed four times now. I have done lots of black cars before without this much problem of paint imperfections. Anyone have any thoughts, Anyone glaze fiberglass paint? Anyone done a Z06 04-Corvette, You ever used 3M black glaze to make black blacker? then you know what I'm talking about.

I know that my detailing perfection gets the best of me in doing something right on what I'm getting paid for which is a good sum and what I told the customer what the car would look like afterwards. I can't drop it unless its done right on this high end car project. I can't do it "less" in what I said what the car would look like, that would ruin my prefect score. but in any case its no sweet off my :ughd:balls

Peace

NorthPac

Last edited: Apr 29, 2005
  2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Do you think maybe you have some rotary hazing that the glaze isn't strong enough to remove? I don't use 3M products so I really can't advise you on what to use. You might want to see if your local paint and supply store carries Meguiars products and if so, pick up a bottle of #80 Speed Glaze and use it with a polishing pad. It works well on minor marring, hazing and swirls and finishes down so nicely you probably won't need to glaze.

You will need to wash or put on a quick layer of Klasse AIO if you are going to use Zaino though.

3. NorthPac

NorthPac New Member

Today I reglazed areas of the hood, roof & back hatch. After I'm done it looks fine nice and real black & shiny. Again the reason why I am glazing is to bring back the black color. After its glazed and looking fine this time I take it out in the sun, looks real fine but a hour later the black haze comes back while its parked in the sun?? I have no ideal why its doing it, only thing I can think of is that the paint was depleted of so much of its natural oils from being parked out in the sun all the time that its soaking the oil deeper in the paint make sense? Not to me but that's that only thing I can think of. I know that I didn't burn the paint I glaze it at 800 rpm's, fiberglass gets hot fast.

Scottwax I don't think Meguiars make a black machine glaze for black cars, they make a hand glaze and a machine glaze but not a black machine glaze. I like 3m products there Finesse-it polish and glazes are better then most I tried so far, I gauss I been using 3m so much that it stuck to me.

Anyway I got to mow the lawn before it gets dark but I wonder after a few beers if I can do it, I better tie the dog up.

NorthPac - lives where the giant Redwood trees grows and the damm environmentalist are

4. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Without seeing the car, I have no idea what steps you need to take to correct the problem.

I don't see why a 'black' machine glaze would make a difference. Meguiars, Clearkote, Poorboys and others make excellent glazes that look terrific regardless of the color.

This is from using Poorboy's SSR2.5 with a Meguiars polishing pad, Clearkote's Red Machine Glaze with a blue Propel finishing pad and Poorboy's EX w/carnauba by hand.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]