My Sweet Backup Setup

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Peyomp, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I finally have the backup setup I want.

In my new house I have wifi upstairs and down, whole house is wired for cat-5e.

I need to backup my macbook pro's hard drive regularly, but I often forget to hook a USB hard drive up to it on a weekly basis. I tried Jungledisk, but I only have 384k up, so it takes too long and to image my entire hard drive means that it is always running.

So, I arrived at the following setup today:

2 * 160GB USB drives hooked to Mac Mini, installed this: http://zfs.macosforge.org/trac/wiki and created a mirrored zpool.

I use Carbon Copy Cloner to backup diffs to the ZFS volume, every night, across the LAN.

Then, later at 2AM each night, the Mac Mini backs up diffs of the ZFS volume to Jungledisk.

So I have many copies of my working computer's HD. One here on it, two on the drives downstairs, and god knows how many on Amazon S3 (double encrypted, once with my private key, once with jungledisks's).

I am happy with my backup situation :big grin:

2. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I was using carbon copy cloner and it kept failing, so I'm moving to using rsync manually, on a cron job.

3. nucklearknight

nucklearknight New Member

Why not Time Machine?

4. hank85

hank85 sudo shred /dev/sda -f -v -z --iterations=6

That's a very nice setup.

I've got something similar going with my MS boxes and a local CentOS box that uploads a set of backups to a development server I've got in a data center out in Dallas. Backups are cleared after 4 weeks on the remote server and 12 on the local.

Great planning and execution. :wiggle:

EDIT: Whats your retention timeframe? Both locally and remote.

5. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I don't think you can do time machine onto a drive shared from another machine? I woulda had to buy a time capsule, and then I don't think I coulda backed up to Jungledisk?

6. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Wanna hear something funny?

The kernel_tas process, PID 0... is hitting 400% while I rm -rf this thing. It spikes for no reason. Me thinks the RW ZFS implementation for OS X is still very immature, or it won't play nicely across USB. I suspect the former.

I have to kill ZFS and make a new normal RAID 1 HFS+.

7. SNovotny

SNovotny New Member

Yeah, you just need change an OSX setting for it to recognize other volumes:

Code:
    defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 1
    This guide is pretty good:
    http://www.readynas.com/?p=253

8. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Hey, thanks man! Appreciate it!

9. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Ok, so I'm probably switching from Carbon Copy Cloner/rsync to time machine, and Jungledisk that. And also from ZFS mirror to RAID 1 HFS+, OS X just isn't ready for R/W ZFS yet. Thanks fellas!

10. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

aaand have you thought about where you don't realise your files are fucked up until 10 days after the damage is done?

11. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Not really. Everything REALLY unique I keep in svn, git, etc. On a personal notebook, I can't imagine a situation in what you describe would happen. Can you explain how it might?

If I were keeping a business's critical data, I'd rotate backups. I'm not, so I don't give a shit THAT much. On/off-site without rotation is fine for me. In fact, its probably overkill, but I like it.

Anyway, Time Machine could just roll back to 10 days prior. ;)

12. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

You get a Mac virus :rofl:

Ok that's all right.

13. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I didn't end up having to make that file edit, once I named the backup image correctly, it found that drive automatically and 'just worked.' It is making the backup across Wifi (in the same room) right now.

So, thanks!

So I ended up having RAID 1 HFS+ on the Mac Mini w/ 2 * 160GB drives, and Time Machining to that.

Makes me kinda wish I'd just got 1TB drives, I think that woulda worked fine with Time Machine. DOH!

14. r00tman

r00tman Archiver of LOLs

Holy redundancy! :eek3:

15. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

why do you image the entire hard drive? wouldn't it be much faster to only backup the stuff that is worth restoring? for example, i generally find it better to reinstall the OS and apps than restore it from backup. unix apps are generally ok to backup since they are usually all self contained in a directory that you can just drop in place. databases are worthless to backup directly unless you have some utility that does it from within the database itself. otherwise, you should be doing some sort of database dump and backing the file up.

16. TheRider

TheRider Geeky OT Supporter

What's your average monthly bill on jungledisk out of interest?

17. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I'm backing the whole thing up because why not? This is the precise setup I want back if it crashes. There are *nix libraries and binaries all over the HD. There are apps. There are documents. Space is cheap.

As to database backups being worthless: incorrect. It will restore the entire state of the hard drive to the current, which is a working state ;)

18. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Insignificant. I have about 1TB of AMIs I need to clean up, and thats like $7 a month from S3?

19. TheRider

TheRider Geeky OT Supporter

I was just curious, I use mozy.com to backup about 700gb and it's flat rated at sub 5 bucks a month for a desktop OS, was curious how it compared.

20. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

so, you taking your database offline to do that?