My squat numbers are going up

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Katsumoto, Nov 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katsumoto

Katsumoto New Member

This morning I squated 200lbs five times, which was awesome for me, considering I have sticks for legs and started with 150lbs a few months ago. My weight is up to 150lbs now too at 5'10". I never worked legs before I started the Bill Starr routine, so squating 3 times a week and doing deadlifts is killing my legs. I can see a noticeable difference especially my quads. It was just really cool at least breaking 200, even though it's weak.:o

I deadlifted 175X5 today too with was a PR, but I think I can do 185. My grip is about failing already though. Also I used to have a decent bench for being so skinny, but it's only gone from 140x5 to 155x5. It seems I can consistently add at least 5lbs to squat/deads each week, why can't I on bench?
    Also a really dumb question, when you guys are talking about your max squat/dead/bench how many reps are you using? Bench is the only thing I've ever done it on, so I know it's usually 1 rep. Squat is 3 reps usually? What about deadlift? All I know is my 5 rep numbers.

Anyways just an update on my little bit of progress. I got all my advise on lifting/nutrition from here, so thanks.

2. biawokauns

biawokauns New Member

:bigthumb:

3. AznRyda

AznRyda キモかわいい!

Because squats and deads use a whole lot more muscle and the muscles that they are using are much bigger so you can see progress faster.

When people say they max on something, they typically mean 1 rep. otherwise they'll state it explicitly such as my 5x max = XXX

edit: my grip is failing too. I'm really tempted to just go get some straps. But it is a lot better than when I just started lifting.

4. Katsumoto

Katsumoto New Member

Well that makes sense.
    As far as grip, if I can explain this, do you hold the bar in the "meat" of the hand, or between the fingers and the hand? I try to hold the weight with the fingers so it doesn't pinch that skin between the hand and fingers. My sissy hands will hurt like hell after I let go.

5. Mojo

Mojo New Member

when you deadlift, squeeze the bar as if like your crunking with it.

on lightweight deads, i have the bar pushed into my palm and all fingers locked tight.

i think its possible to add 5lb every week to your bench.

6. not when you bench 315

7. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

Don't make that mistake, I did and it is killing me know. When I do rack pulls my grip fails around 460-470 but if I strap up I can nail 570-580. If you want to train your grip while deadlifting use a double overhand grip until that fails then procede to use alternating grips. If you have to reset your grip each rep (quickly of course) on deadlifts, only use straps after you have completly exhausted your grip.

8. Mojo

Mojo New Member

i still think its possible. but of course when you're at that level, gains are bound to slowly increase still.

9. AznRyda

AznRyda キモかわいい!

I still add in grip work on a different day, so I'm slowly building it up. It is just that after certain things like heavy deads, RDL's etc my grip is pretty busted for the rest of the day. Then I can't do other stuff like heavy rows or chins so it's adversely affecting my other work outs.

Plus today I almost had a PL for my deadlift but my grip gave out right before lock out. (this was sumo style too, so the lockout was easy since the bar was 3/4th of the way up already) :augh: frustrating.

10. Blue Leaves

Blue Leaves Active Member

Oh man how I wish this had any truth to it. I would be benching 250 lbs more by this time next year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.