SRS My SO is bi-polar... I need to talk with someone...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by firestarter810, Feb 9, 2008.

1. firestarter810

firestarter810 New Member

My SO has been bi-polar longer than the ten years we've know each other. At the beginning, I tried to be supportive, but thought it best not to step on any toes; I thought if there was anything I needed to know, she'd educate me. I didn't realize how serious it was or can be.

Now, within the last 6 months, she's worse than ever and I'm struggling to cope with educating myself, supporting her and holding our lives together. Its difficult to talk to her, because she gets upset easily, and I really feel I have no one to talk to.

2. nezfotnemom

nezfotnemom OT Supporter

Your best bet is most likely to start/get counseling for her and possibly look into medication. It will probably beneficial for you to attend any counseling with her, if you want to be educated on it as well as make her feel somewhat comforted. My friend was bi-polar. There is no "just deal with it".... It gets way out of hand.

Im sure all the asylum people will chime in with alot more helpful info. Good luck.

3. firestarter810

She has a counselor, therapist and pdoc, but she doesn't really trust any of them. She was in an outpatient program, but she quit that Thursday and I haven't been able to get to the reason for it. I don't know if I should/want to contact anyone and speak to them about her and breach her trust.

4. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

She needs to go back on medication if she's off. :hs:

5. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

yeah. I don't think there's anything else one can start the "fixing" process with.

6. firestarter810

She's on right now, but if you know the illness, you know people tend to go on and off following their moods, so...

7. Krizzy

Krizzy New Member

Howdy!

Sorry to hear you're going through the whole "SO with Bipolar Disorder" thing. We definitely have the tendency to be a handful. :hs: I know I sometimes wonder how I've been with my man for 2 and a half years, being the way I am. :hs: It takes a special person to be able to love someone with (and put up with the negatives of) the disorder, as it's one of the trickiest ones to deal with.

Non-compliance with medication is something most people with Bipolar Disorder experience... Some on a more frequent level than others. I know I've been non-compliant at least a few times; I wanted off of the medication. I wanted to feel alive, I longed for a manic high. I thought I was feeling dumbed down and monotonous because of my medication, when in reality, what I was feeling was normalcy-- balanced. Some learn (eventually), and some don't unfortunately...

You need to sit her down and tell her how you're feeling. I know when you're dealing with a BPer it can be sort of intimidating, but sometimes all we really need is a reality check to get ourselves back on track. Tell her that unless she's willing to do something to help herself, then y'all aren't going to be able to have a fulfilling and stable relationship. Be SURE to make it clear that you DON'T want that (if you don't, that is). Be sure to clarify, "And that's the LAST thing I want." We BPers sometimes have a tendency to take a situation and make the worst out of it when we're in that sort of position, jumping to conclusions and assuming things that couldn't be further from the truth. If at all possible, try to avoid the freak-out if she is that way.

I wish I knew what else to tell you, as I'm sort of struggling with my own BP issues at the moment. Just remember: Patience is the key to living/being with a BP SO. :x: Sometimes it's not as hopeless as it seems.

If you have any questions and/or concerns regarding Bipolar Disorder, don't hesitate to give me a shout. I've been living la vida BP for years now and I love educating others. I'm all about busting the nasty stigma that looms over us.