My Small Block Powered Buick T-Type

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Toecutter, May 5, 2004.

1. Toecutter

Toecutter Guest

[​IMG]

So why are u guys hatin' on me? :nono: Hate on the sorry SOB I rescued this car from. Guy owns 3 GNX's and 2 other GN's. He was selling his GN's so he could buy an 03 Cobra, so I got this car off him for $1,500. Well, at least what was left of it after he sold most of the good stuff on E-Bay.

I sold what was left of the drivetrain (blown up engine and tranny) for $700 and used the money to buy a small block Chevy in Houston, Tx. for $800. It's simple economics. After this GN lover :rolleyes: cannibalized the crap out of it, all I was left with was a shell with the original 8.5" rear end intact.

I was looking for a project to build for the readers of my website and this car is what I found. Total money spent so far is about $2500 including the paint job. Sure, the car does run low 14's on motor, but it's a STOCK 350 with nothing more than small valve heads and a crane hydraulic cam with .470 lift. This is with a B&M 2500 stall convertor and 3.42 gears. Tuned for a motor pass, it will run into the 13's, but tuned for nitrous, it really slows down.

Sure, I can build a very fast 406 small block with AFR heads and a .600 lift roller with 11.5:1 compression and run mid 11's all day long, but where is the budget in that? The whole point of our story was to build something you could drive everyday on pump gas and race with the best on Friday nights. On just 100 shot, she will run mid 12's. On 150 shot, she will run 11.70's @ 112mph. On 200 shot she runs 11.40's @ 115mph and on the 250 pills, she has run a best of 11.22 @ 119mph.

Let's get real guys, it takes way more than $2500 to build a GN to go that fast and not blow up. I have been around them long enough to know that. My friend has a GN that runs mid 11's he's got about $10,000 in the engine alone. That's not counting what the car is worth. By the way, it's for sale if anyone cares to cough up $25K for a high 10 second turbo Buick. By the way, it takes nitrous for the car to run into the 10's.

Like I said at the very beginning, don't hate on me for rescuing my Boo from the scrap heap, cause that's where it was headed. Sent there by a so called Buick GN lover. I did what I could with the budget I had. Being married, raising 3 boys and keeping a household does not leave much money for fun. Good luck to everyone and I hope one day you guys can have as much fun as our readers and my sons and I had, building this car. :)

-Mark

2. Toecutter

Toecutter Guest

Can't, I need the extra space to clear the air cleaner :wiggle:

I will sell the original turbo T-Type wheels though. They sorta look like the wheels on the General Lee from the Dukes of Hazzard.

3. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

Regal V8s could also have T appearance packages, this was originally a turbo car or a V8 car?

4. Toecutter

Toecutter Guest

The car was actually an original Turbo car. It's an '87, which was IMO the best year to have. I would have loved to have been able to put it back together with the turbo V6, but it was too far gone. I mean, even the original EFI harness was gone, along with the computer.

5. TriShield

I know, as old as they are it could have been wrecked or replaced somewhere along the way.

6. TriShield

Better than destroying it, and it'll make a good turbo V6 restoration project for your someday.

:hs:

7. poonmonster

poonmonster OT Supporter

The only question that matters in this thread