My sister got a virus on her Mac. What now Apple fags?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by White Stormy, Apr 17, 2010.

1. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

Everything I saw when looking up information on Mac forums about it said, "Just ignore it. You only have to see it like once a day."

:uh:

It had somehow changed the DNS settings in her router to some bullshit in the Ukraine or something. Had to reset the router :ugh:

2. White Stormy

She was using Firefox 3 in OSX

3. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

Why not tell the people in the Mac Shack, maybe they care.

4. White Stormy

ew

5. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

i don't get it.

a mac virus that changed DNS settings on a router? sounds more like a router exploit.

6. White Stormy

it started out as a fake windows security center prompt that was showing up in the browser.. in firefox.. on a mac. :ugh: I cleared cache, cookies, etc, and it still came up.

the router password was saved in firefox, so it's definitely possible. I found a bunch of forum posts talking about it.. most said it only changed DNS on the comp, but several others said it changed DNS on router. I had to reset router and flush DNS on comp before it was fixed, though.

7. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

nice info. i'm going to mark this up as user error / YOUR error.

8. White Stormy

my error, you're right. I broke into her house to use her pos mac and infect it with a virus just so I could later spend an hour trying to fix it.

9. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

no, it's your error for thinking that something like a router exploit because she has old firmware or a default password on her router is automatically a mac virus. then when it is mentioned you think that it is a mac virus that stole the password from ff and changed her router settings?

10. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

how about a name of the virus? or a link to a site describing it?

11. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i agree, thats what you get for not changing the router login password from default...or having it stored in keychain

12. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

diskutil partitionDisk :dunno:

I don't get viruses on my mac or PC's.

I do agree the Apple sackriders are fags :o

13. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

routers should force you to create your own password....maybe redirect any port 80 traffic to a "create password" page. Things like that should be idiot proofed bc 95% of people are idiots :rolleyes:

14. White Stormy

She wasn't using a default router password, and she has the latest firmware for her less-than-a-year old Linksys router. The router password was saved in Firefox, though.. which I already said.

I told you what was required to fix the problem. It was too broken to actually verify the source of the problem, but I do know what fixed it.

She has two Macs. One was wired, one wireless. The primary computers would display the pop-up "virus" whenever you opened Firefox (v3.3something). The pop-up proclaimed that the computer was infected with a virus and required immediate "Windows Anti-Virus" or some shit to fix it. Clearing the browser history got rid of that, but both computers had fucked up DNS. Whatever was going on wouldn't let me connect to the router from either computer. I also couldn't load most google pages on either computer.. they were getting forwarded to foreign IPs or something (The sites worked just fine on my phone). I flushed the DNS on the computers, but that didn't fix anything. I pulled the power on the router to see if it was a cache or buffer issue, but that didn't fix it, either. Finally, I reset to factory settings. After that, both computers could connect to all pages and the router without a problem, and the connection had sped up considerably.

Is it possible it was something else? Sure, but most of the searching I did on her problem turned up similar results.

15. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

well, i have an apple. i'm not worried about this virus because i have a router with ddwrt, i don't save my password in any of my browsers or keychain

also, it will only allow web access if i connect through the public ip address and port 7070...bring the virus on

16. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I LOL'ed.

Just in case anyone was wondering whether Mac geeks have any real technical expertise -- this was the best they could come up with? I think we're done here.

17. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

So how does this mean that your sisters mac got a virus? I think you were just a little too happy about making this thread that you didn't even think about it.

18. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

Actually, MacOS viruses and malware are on the rise now. As MacOS gets a bigger market share, so will the amount of attention paid to it by hackers.

MacOS is usually the first OS exploited at security conferences so I'm not surprised.

19. White Stormy

The very first thing that was wrong with the computer was a persistent fake anti-virus/security popup in Firefox. I hadn't been on her computer long enough to notice the DNS stuff until I started googling the popup message, and when I did, the posts I found on Mac forums about the popup also mentioned DNS problems. Like I said, it could have been something else, but it doesn't seem likely.

20. djshotglass

djshotglass New Member

:werd:

21. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

It's no surprise, really. They took an OS that was intended to be free and made it expensive. That's even worse than making an OS expensive to begin with.