MMA My shatty bag work (vid)

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by konrad109, Jun 30, 2006.

1. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WI_-kqGzp9A

I've been out of the gym for a while, and only have about 6 months of actual training. I do watch a lot of DVDs though. :wiggle:

Lay it one me, I wanna know everything I'm doing wrong, cause looks like its gonna be a while till I have the time and money to join a gym again and I don't wanna pick up too many bad habits.

Also don't watch my kicking video, cause its just :greddy:

2. raxton

raxton .

3. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

:squint:

4. DKKD

DKKD New Member

well... you're the best self taught guy i've ever seen

5. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

Why aren't you letting it swing? :ugh:

And throw more jabs.

6. Sarge21

Sarge21 Frau am Steuer Ungeheuer!

everyone is gonna tell you something different but from what i see:

on your straight punches youre letting your elbow rotate up and to the outside, keep your lats locked and try to drag your elbow along your side on straight punches.

you have some hip rotation but you need more, the reason you dont get it is because youre not letting you rear foot rotate. At full extension of your punch your rear foot should ideally point at your target.

Like i said, everyone here will likely tell you something different based on their various styles and what not. This is just my .02 after watching the vid.

7. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

Doesnt look too bad a few pointers.

You seem to be using your arms alot the order of a good punch should be hips -> shoulder -> arm with the arm primarily in a distance and direction role most of the power should come from the hips/core/shoulder.

8. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

Goods:
    -footwork. You are doing really well here.
    -Combos. You're throwing some solid combinations.

Bads:
    -Punching form. You overextend your shoulders when you throw straights, and you don't use much body movement until after you've made contact, and then you do more of a push than a punch.
    -Guard. Your guard is a little low, and you're slow to bring your fists back after a punch. Generally you don't want to throw a second punch in a combo until the first hand has been fully retracted into the guard position, and your body stance is back at normal (or at the least your torso is back into position).
    -Posture. You're hunching over too much. This is bad because you're decreasing the distance between your face (your opponents main target) and your opponent. Try to stand as straight as possible, with your chin tucked.

Pointers:
    -Try to keep your guard at eyebrow level.
    -Keep back straight, chin tucked in.
    -Always bring your punch back into your guard position before throwing another one. This is crucial becuase a lot of the force in a punch is in body movement. If you aren't set up properly, then you won't maximize your torso's twisting and you will have a less forceful strike.
    -Move your body more with punches. Your hooks like good, but your straight does not use much movement of the torso, and instead you're overextending your shoulder. Keep your shoulders straight and "locked in" to your body so to speak. Rely on your arm and torso movement.

Reccomendations:
    -Jab-hook combo is a good one. Seems like you stick with combos that are jab-straight or hook-hook etc. The great thing about combos is that, say you throw a jab, the opponent will put their guard in front of the face, leaving the sides open for your hook. Mix it up.
    -Take classes. You can learn a lot from self-evaluation and practice... but to have an experienced practicioner advise you will make you 10 times better.

9. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

Well I'm doing the same thing in the first part as the second, just weird angle I guess.

So more jabbing, more hip/shoulder rotation, keep elbows down on the straight, and work on individual punches with less intensity? I kinda like the intensity level cause it gives me a good workout but yeah I can see where the technique would suffer. I know my left hook needs a lot of work.

10. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

good stuff thx. Yeah I would love to join a gym again, but no $ or time. Hopefully once I'm done with school.

11. JordanClarkson

You can try a jab, jab, left hook, right hook combo. I'd have a plan each time and stick with it for 5 mins at a time.

12. ///

/// Born and raised in Ohio

i wqas taught the opposite, not to be totally straight up,but with a little hunch. but i agree with you that he is hunched over too much.

13. JordanClarkson

Yeah your shoulders should be a little bit high but not THAT high.

14. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

Do high shoulders reduce power? The hunch is to allow me to absorb body punches better. I'm a tall and lanky so having those long muscles outstreched really hurts when I get hit. Hunching in like that makes em nice and rubbery.

Long neck doesnt help either, hunching over keeps my head from swinging back when I get hit and exposing my jaw and throat.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2006
  15. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

I agree with many pointers here about hunching, body rotation, and such.

I will make one suggestion just as far as practicing goes. When I first started Muay Thai training I would practice on a bag just as you did, and never really simulated fighting technique as far as sticking a punch and rotating to the side or working on punches on angles. So, when I would spar against an opponent, he would walk from side to side, and I really didn't have the proper footwork to follow his steps and rotate with him. You have a very north/south approach, which is normal for punching a bag. You just stick in and come out. But, when you are sparring, you'll notice your opponent won't just be a few feet away from you, but he'll also be moving left and right, in and out.

My suggestion: lose the cardboard box for a bit and get that bookshelf and couch out of the way for a few minutes. Rotate with the bag as it moves, allowing it to act as an opponent. It will come back to you, and you will rotate as it sways a bit. You'll notice if you practice TECHNIQUE that your footwork will be more fluent and your balance will improve greatly. And, of course, you won't get your ass kicked when you first spar.

16. JordanClarkson

^yeah it just doesn't look like he has much room due to where it's hung. I'm gonna hang my bag out on the patio to gain more space

17. JordanClarkson

It may impede your mobility and will leave you wide open for round houses to the ribs. I also think that your head is a little too far down and forward which may be due to having the bag below eye level.

18. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

:werd: my bags both hang below eye level... Only thing I can do about it is keep a very low stance with my legs spread way apart for boxing... Sucks to box in a kicking stance, but a ninja has to do what a ninja has to do.

19. chackrafool

chackrafool New Member

Take your socks off