MIL My serious thread. Seriously.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Jyokker, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

Out of character for me, I know.

My Grandfather passed away today. While I am not as upset as the rest of the family, I do grieve his passing. He went in his sleep and without violence that some elderly people go through before passing (my sister was a Hospice nurse). He had Alzheimer's and was fading fast, but no one expected him to pass this soon, everyone was thinking six months to a year.

He served four or six years in the Air Force as it transitioned from the Army Air Corps. My father was my grandfather's only child at the time, he later had two more boys. He was extremely reserved and when he spoke it was usually humorous or short and to the point. When I joined the Air Force he seemed to talk to me a little more and usually about the service. It was something only we had in common, as no one else in my family is in the service (My cousin is still in tech school).

I would like to see him receive some type of military honor at his funeral. The rifles may be a bit much for my grandmother; it may make her nervous. I am curious how the honor guard works these issues. I know it won't mean much to the rest of the family and I don't want to seem selfish, but I think he would appreciate it and I think it would provide a little closure for my family.

Thoughts?

Also, explaining death to a three year old is ridiculously hard. They can't comprehend the permanence of death.

2. scottiemac

scottiemac It's time to shoot some hot dogs!

sorry to hear man. I don't know the exact answer but maybe talk to the Honor Guard NCOIC or OIC. They may know, if not, I'm sure they can point you in the right direction.

3. RRTX

RRTX New Member

A local American Legion or VFW post can usually provide an honor guard of some type.

4. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

Sorry for your loss.

I'll say a prayer for your family.

5. DaRkPhAnToM

DaRkPhAnToM FML OT Supporter

firing party is optional for reasons like you stated

RIP and God Bless.

6. brownfield

brownfield OT Supporter

I'm not sure how you would contact the military for a funeral detail, but I'm sure that if you contacted the VA I'm sure you'd be able to find out... But as far as the detail goes, you can ask for whatever you want to be in or out of it. Several of my friends at Fort Bragg were on funeral detail and they travelled to all over north carolina to give veterans military honors at their funeral. They will talk to the you and do only what you ask them to.

7. fintheman

fintheman I will ebay O/T!

8. Sharkticon

Sharkticon The safest place in combat is on an AEGIS Class Gu

I used to be the Honors Funeral Detail Team Leader for the Southeastern Region out of Naval Weapons Station, Charleston/Goose Creek South Carolina.

Provided your Grandfather, may he rest in peace, served at least 1 term of enlistment or obligated service and received a discharge for other than dishonorable reasons, he would be eligible for AT LEAST the following:

- Flag Folding
    - Flag Presentation
    - Playing of Taps

We carried a boombox to play Taps because buglars were few and far between and almost never available. We also did the rifle volleys with M14 rifles. Depending on who does the service for you, this option may or may not be available.

You can contact a funeral director in your county to get the ball rolling. 334.255.9081 or 1-877-MIL-HONR

I'm not sure if the number is still valid but it is a good place to start.

I would also contact the closest military base, either in Panama City or Pensacola to find out if they have a honors funeral detail there. I do believe the funeral director would have that info too.

If you'd like I can give you the run down of how the honors occur from start to finish.

Good luck and I hope your Grandfather receives proper military honors.

........As provided by law, an honor guard detail for the burial of an eligible veteran shall consist of not less than two members of the Armed Forces. One member of the detail shall be a representative of the parent Service of the deceased veteran. The honor detail will, at a minimum, perform a ceremony that includes the folding and presenting of the American flag to the next of kin and the playing of Taps. Taps will be played by a bugler, if available, or by electronic recording. Today, there are so few buglers available that the Military Services often cannot provide one.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2006
  9. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

Thank you all for your information, kind words, and support.
    It means a lot to my family.