my second HD is corrupt???

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by wizeguy4, Jan 25, 2005.

1. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

ok I have a C drive that my applications run on and I have a F drive that is my storage drive. The other day i went to access a file on my F drive and it said that the drive is not formatted and would I like to format it. I know it is formatted and has 140gig worth of stuff on it.

In device manager - it shows there is a HD connected and it is 186GB

however I have no way of opening it without getting the "unformatted drive error"

I went to system restore and it said that it would not be able to turn back the F drive to an earlier time becasue it is not being moinitored. I know that itr was but for some reason it is now turned off.

I had one program running from my F drive and I ad copied a shortcut to my desktop, when all this happened, the icon is no longer on my desktop.

Did I really lose all my data that is on that drive, is it at all recoverable? It is a Maxtor 200GB HD I have all of the .exe for many programs on there but more importantly I have many digital photos that I failed to backup on there also.

any help is really appriciated. I have not formatted this like the error is telling me to, I just click cancel till I know for sure it is lost forever.

and how could something liek even happen? I had been accessing this drive all day and then it just happened

2. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

anyone?

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

run seagate seatools.

4. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

OK I ran seatool (I have a seagate HD not a Maztor - I thought worng!)

anyway - it passed all the quick tests both when tested by itself and tested by the comp.

However, when I ran the full diagnostic test, It froze up and did nothing when scanning for bad sectors both when ran by itself and also ran from the computer.

And so the verdict is?

Am I going to be able to recover and files from thi drive? please say yes and mean it

thanks

5. C_Blyth

C_Blyth Guest

you can pay to have data recovery...but it is dam expencive...i got a quote of £200 for a 40Gig drive.

otherwise, try booting into dos. (hit F8 on startup and select ms dos promt).
    and looking at the drive in dos to determine whether it is the drive or if it is windows being dumb!!!
    if it is windows then you can get the data coppied off the HDD if it's the HDD then sorry it dosn't sound good.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

try Ontrack Easy Recovery Pro. If it doesn't work, you're SOL.