MMA My Second BJJ Tournament (Titan Grappling Challenge) *No Video*

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by .Tim, Mar 8, 2009.

1. .Tim

.Tim New Member

First I want to say congratulations to Hillary for winning her super fight. She won it pretty easily in my opinion. At least that's how it looked.

The head guy from my school put on a tournament today and people from all over the region came out. We had Texas people, Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas and more I'm sure. Anyway it was glad to have a local tournament 15 minutes from my house. It was ran a lot better than the one I went to in December and considering this is the first one he's put on that makes it even better. I was sick this week and pussied out on trying to cut while sick. I should have. I tried to cut last night until this morning but still was a pound over so I was in the 155-170lbs division. Surprisingly the Gi guys were "small" and I expected to dominate. The No-Gi guys were fucking huge. Two potential steroid users. I know now not to puss out and not do a true cut in the future but I don't plan to be over 155 again. At least not while competing.

1st match (Gi Whitebelt 155-170): Was going well, I was losing on points but I was passing the guard and reversing dude with ease. I got out of his deep armbar with no problems. I even had his back at one point and went for the armbar which works a lot for me but I was too aggressive instead of patient and ended up on my back. I reversed him again I got sloppy on one reversal and left my head up and neck exposed and he got me with a cross collar choke. I rolled right into that shit. Sucks too because I thought I was figuring him out but I had to do that dumb shit. First time that's ever happened to me but when you're being choked and the gurgle starts, time to tap. So I did.

2nd match (No-Gi Beginner 155-170): It was weird having Hillary as my referee for my No-Gi matches. OMFG INTERNETS PERSON IS REFEREEING ME! I wasn't as confident with this considering I've never trained No-Gi and my only experience was a 40 second match in December where I got my ass beat plus these guys were fucking huge. Turns out No-Gi seems to be better for me. My first match the dude was pretty tall. I'm bad at gauging height but he was a lot taller than me and I'm 5'7 on a good day. I'm assuming he was 6'0, give or take an inch. Skinny bastard, no surprise considering it was 170. Since I don't have video I can't say for sure but I think I dominated dude. I controlled his hips very well, I've been working on that when training and it's paying off. He couldn't really do anything with me. Got me into half guard a few times but that was just more points for me and I passed it easily. One thing pissed me off, his coaches/teammates said to him during the match (he's just going for points because he knows he can't submit you). I could have, but I was winning the match 9-0 at that point with a minute left. I wasn't doing anything stupid, I mean why quit what's working? Near the end of the fight I was feeling pretty confident and had mount and went for an armbar. Much tougher in no-gi, dude slipped out pretty easily and reversed me but I got back into position and I think if I had more time I could have armbarred him from the guard. Oh well, still got the win on points. 9-0.

3rd match (No-Gi Beginner 155-170): There were only two guys I didn't want to face early, because they were my height but had at least 20 lbs on me, a good chunk of that muscle. I was hoping to get one more before I fought them. Well first guy lost, so he was out. Second guy was left and unfortunately I got him. I went for the take down and dude had a really fast sprawl and got my back quickly. I defended it well for a while and we moved around but he kept coming back to that rear naked choke. He finally got me in and I have to say, that was easily the tightest, strongest rear naked choke I've ever felt. I felt like I was about to throw up before he let go after I tapped. Sucked ass to lose like that but at least I got my first win. That 0-2 was hurting me. 1-4 ain't great but at least there's no more zero's!

Unfortunately there's no video. :(

There is a picture of me with my cool ass tournament shirt and weird mark on my nose that I have no idea how I got (and you can barely see because the camera took a weird shot)!

[​IMG]

2. .Tim

.Tim New Member

Oh and :rofl::rofl::rofl: at the fat dude sitting behind me in the bleachers as I was resting after my last match before leaving talking about all the guys that looked like they used steroids. One dude did, was fucking huge with a back full of pimples.

3. itr452

itr452 VTEC motherfucker, GOT ANY?

congrats mang! sounds like you had a hell of a time! next time get vids so the gurus here can analyze and help you out.

:big grin:

4. .Tim

.Tim New Member

Oh and I forgot one kind of funny moment (I bitched out, I'll admit it). They announced that all white belts that wanted to compete in the white belt absolute go sign up at a table. Well as I stood up to walk over there a big ass dude had to be close to 300lbs. I was watching matches with a guy who was about 260 and he was dwarfed compared to this dude. So when I saw him sign up I decided to pass. Giving up pretty much my entire body weight was not something I was looking forward to trying. Turns out he lost to a guy from my school that's not much bigger than me. Oh well, I was a pussy. I won't deny it.

5. .Tim

.Tim New Member

A friend of mine was supposed to show up and get video for me but he got the times wrong and thought this was at night so he couldn't make it and during my gi match everybody I knew was busy either competing or coaching or helping run shit. My first no-gi match a friend offered to video it but I said don't worry about it. Now I really regret it. Would have been nice to have my first win on video! Though I'll take a win with no video over a loss with video any day! :coolugh:

6. dengar

dengar seans is a afta marchsollwe in his gir! OT Supporter

Congrats on the win dude.

I went to my first tournament today and went 0-2.

7. .Tim

.Tim New Member

Thanks. It felt great getting my hand raise for the first time. Of course now I want more of that, especially the kind that come with medals and trophies. :big grin:

8. dengar

dengar seans is a afta marchsollwe in his gir! OT Supporter

I know exactly how you feel.