GUN My school sucks...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by GTP, Aug 4, 2007.

1. GTP

GTP New Member

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/2007/07/30/gun-range.html?ref=rss

University of Toronto gun range to be silenced

Last Updated: Monday, July 30, 2007 | 2:57 PM ET

CBC News

After 88 years, the University of Toronto has decided to close its sport shooting range, citing changing attitudes in society.
    "Universities, I think generally speaking, have come to the conclusion that there is no place for firearms on campus, period," university spokesman Robert Steiner told CBC News.
    Steiner says closing the range has been under discussion for 10 years as sentiment grew that it was not compatible with the academic environment.
    Shootings such as those at Toronto's C.W. Jefferys high school in May, Virginia Tech in April, Montreal's Dawson College in September and Columbine High School in 1999 contributed to the decision, said Steiner.
    Kris Coward, one of the 400 members of the university's Hart House rifle and revolver clubs, says there's no connection between sport shooting and violence in the community.
    "Everybody that goes into a chemistry lab has the capability of blowing up an entire building," said Coward. "But that doesn't mean that we don't teach chemistry?"
    He says they still hope to get the university to reverse the decision and the clubs will meet to consider options, such as alternative ranges.
    Drawing a parallel between violent acts and sport shooting is "ridiculous," says Tony Bernardo of the Canadian Shooting Sports Association.
    "These people are not criminals, nor are they practising to be criminals. They are sports persons," Bernardo told CBC.

Now all the gang-related shootings will disappear in Toronto :bowdown:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2007
  2. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

"Shootings such as those at Toronto's C.W. Jefferys high school in May, Virginia Tech in April, Montreal's Dawson College in September and Columbine High School in 1999 contributed to the decision, said Steiner."

Am I missing something? Wouldn't the fact that none of those schools had shooting ranges make it seem more logical (from a statistical standpoint at the least,) to keep the range open or start putting more ranges and gun clubs in schools?

3. GTP

GTP New Member

Yes. This is Canada. Logic doesn't apply here :mamoru: