My S/C Corolla RS-X (torque steer ahoy!) Pics aplenty

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by PooJou, Dec 19, 2006.

1. PooJou

PooJou New Member

My S/C Corolla RS-X (Now with Added Water to Air intercooler pics)

Figured it'd be interesting for you guys to see my soon to be water-to-air intercooled corolla (mostly because it's like not a AE86 lol)

[​IMG]

The car used to have a fullsik front mount intercooler, but i removed it. Why? Because I was sick of having shit off throttle (read: anti lag) lag and because the giant intake tract played havoc with the MAP sensor which caused idle-seek, especially on hot days.

I'm retrofitting the water to air kit from the early 90's Subaru Liberty RS turbo onto it.

At the moment, it's just came back from the aircon guys :)bowdown: to Norm who did it for me, the previous owner left a veritable rats nest behind the dash) and I have to wait till the new year for the intercooler guy to fit out the pipes and what not.

Only things left for me to do are:
    - relocate battery to boot (already halfway there)
    - CAI for pod filter (currently in a silly position)
    - Ditch the ricer catch can

Oh and :wavey: to any fellow toyota guys on here :bigthumb:

Old pic of engine bay - note FMIC IC piping. Those of you in the know will know the GZE's ran a top mount interheater. I found out why, because the short intake tract makes throttle reponse instant.

[​IMG]

Here you can see the box of random Water to air gear ripped out of a RS that had a very unpleasant meeting with a tree at about 100kph.
    [​IMG]

The pic below shows the new air-con system (AC was originally DC'd due to the front mount eating all that space between the grille and radiator)
    [​IMG]

And - the annoying laggy piece of shit FMIC setup (it'd be fine for turbo... just not good for SC)
    [​IMG]

Bodgy pipe made up so i can drive the thing around - throttle response is excellent, no idle seek however I have to hold off caning it as no intercooler = heat.
    [​IMG]

And the last pic, you can see where the water to air setup's radiator will live, just in front of the Aircon fan - the original front mount was nearly as thick as both put together.
    [​IMG]

Oh yeah, and the car makes in this state of tune - about 150KW at the fly, translating to about 110FWKW - uhh i think that's about 200-210HP with about 150HP at the front wheels. Not a lot of power, but with a mountain of torque, and fuckall weight (1050kg... not sure what that is in pounds) - it moves quick enough to give most turbro guys a run for their money.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2007
  2. dvd

dvd OT Supporter

pics of whole car?

3. PooJou

PooJou New Member

Top of thread :wavey:

4. Zerobar78

Zerobar78 New Member

Neat. Being from the U.S. I've never seen one of those quite like that. We had the corolla's here but they were boring cars. Is it fwd?? I'm guessing your planning on drag more than anything knowing how air to water coolers are prone to hear soak though it's location might help out.

5. PooJou

PooJou New Member

Heh, yeah i figured it'd be interesting for you guys to see the car, I think you got jipped with a lot of the toyota stuff (like the subaru stuff).

It's FWD - i'm not planning on drag, because frankly, a FWD car with 6.5" (max 7") isn't going to be able to put a huge amount of power down effectively. If i was dragging, the water to air would heatsoak quite quickly as you mentioned. THis car is setup more as a fun track/hillclimb thing - it's got whiteline swaybars front and rear, the oem strutbrace, KYB shocks and king springs all round (will upgrade to coilovers soon). It handles very flatly atm tho the rear swaybar is a tad stiff, I've had it lose the tail a few times (one time nearly into a cliff :/)

6. 1.8

1.8 Guest

That's a pretty random and cool car you have there.

7. PooJou

PooJou New Member

UPDATE:

Relocated the battery to the boot - was running 4ag cable, but we figured 4ag was a bit... small... so off to jaycar to spend some obscene amount on chunky arse 2ag cable. Running it again was alright, as my mate found another hole for us to run to. All that's left is to vent to air inside the trim, and a bit of a tidy.

Intercoolar ahoy!
    EDIT: Pics

BEFORE:
    [​IMG]

AFTER:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is going to be boxed up later - car is not being driven atm so it's not a problem.
    [​IMG]

The boot! battery will vent to air in the hole to the right of the battery - it's bolted (the battery) through 18MM MDF.
    [​IMG]

Ghetto hold down

[​IMG]

Earthing and vent
    [​IMG]

Current ride while car is off the road: :big grin:

[​IMG]

8. PooJou

PooJou New Member

UPDATE:

I'll let the pics speak for themselves - turns out the clutch was a 3 puck button and it had a bent pressure plate so.... yeah... had to be replaced with an Exedy HD - I have chasers in west melbourne to thank for all this work.

Idea is due to Rage who also has an RS lol.

Need to figure out the best way to either move that pod or get air to it now... hmmm...
    Oldest:

[​IMG]

Next Oldest:

[​IMG]

The New Hotness:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In other news, gf got me these for our anniversary/mybday
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2007
  9. sirthumpsalot

sirthumpsalot Down for the count

nice setup

10. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Very nice indeed. You mentioned torque-steer -- do you actually have a lot of that with your setup? I assume you've upgraded your rolling stock to match your engine, but what kind of tires do you have and how big are they?

11. PooJou

PooJou New Member

I do get a bit of tug if im mid corner and I plant it, 12PSI from the charger will do that to it. It's more the "don't be an idiot and call up full boost in the middle of a corner" - that and "if you are going to drag, feather it in first/second or you will just spin the wheels". It's the power delivery that does it, full boost at 40% throttle input

Rolling stock are 195/50R15 Falken Azenis ST115 "semi race" kinda tyres. Good things they are...soft compoundish - They pretty much negate the need for an LSD atm though an LSD is still decidedly on the cards.

12. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Gah...195s? C'mon dude, surely you can spring for a set of 235s to go with all your other upgrades. I bet you could pull 12psi in the middle of a hairpin and not have any wheelspin with that setup -- I love my 235/45 Michelin Pilots.

13. PooJou

PooJou New Member

What car do you drive? You must realise how small this car is (it weighs in the region of 2300lbs) haha

That and it's FWD .... torque steer is inherent really. (235/45 is like 8 inch wide wheels haha)

Widest I can go in practice are 205's - possibly 215's

14. PooJou

PooJou New Member

Updates!

So these came in the mail yesterday
    [​IMG]

:bowdown: to my gf lol

So I have approximately 2 weeks to go till my suspension is over and I leave that whole sorry saga behind :)

Updates on the car - as mentioned above, the intake is yet to be reversed, as I tried modifying the stock intake pipe and it fouls far too many random objects on that side of the TB.

One of the kind members of toymods has machined up a flange for me so my mate Simon and I can weld the intake pipe directly to the TB

[​IMG]

Flange arrived, holes were a little off, but will be ground out a smidge (my own fault)

Have also picked up 3 X 2.25' mandrel bends, one with a flare to 2.5" at the end so my pod filter sits nicely on it.

Pics are as follows:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, i picked up a sub off the forums - it's an Infinity Kappa 100.se - 10inch... 250watt RMS i think, possibly more lol

[​IMG]

Tomorrow is anzac day and the day Simon and I will start hacking and welding up the intake.

Still need:
    - battery
    - new oil
    - new rad fluid
    - fix my dash lights
    - sub box

15. LA02MAX

LA02MAX New Member

That's a cool project! I like how the engine bay is like half the length of the entire car. All these new cars have no room to work in there!

16. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

1986 Toyota MR2 here, little baby 4AGE under the lid. Still stock, need to decide what it's fate will be.

I'd stick with 205's peronally. I'm used to a very underpowered engine so if I were to fit 235's on my car I'd be looking at massive torque loss. Your car is obviously much more powerful, so it might not be as noticable. The other thing is that if you look at the actual amount of rubber vs. voids in the tread, going to a larger size doesn't always mean that you are putting more rubber on the ground, just spreading it out over a larger area since the void areas are increased.

17. PooJou

PooJou New Member

Thanks mate, lol, it's an optical illusion, there is NO room in the engine bay to work with at all.... bloody aftermarket engines :)

Yeah well, I can't fit any wider wheels on my car... 7" wide maximum, so 205's sound the go - oh and you know you want to 20V the AW11 :big grin:

18. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

I dunno what I want to do really lol. I'd like to keep it N/A and just go for "moderate" power, keep it streetable, etc. I've seen the guys with 500-700 RWHP and it's just :ugh: to me. I don't want that much power, my first goal will be like 200 to the wheels. But it's my first project car ever, so who knows if I'll change my mind.

19. PooJou

PooJou New Member

So after a bit of cutting, a bit of welding, a bit of sanding and a bit of painting, we have this:

[​IMG]

After i make my trek out to vicroads kew headquarters tomorrow, I'll come back and bolt the new intake on, and start her up for the first time in oh 1.5 months? lol.

Still to do:
    - Change oil (Wednesday i guess)
    - Change rad fluid (also wed)
    - change WTA IC fluid (see above 2)
    - Fix Dashlights (see above 3 :))

20. PooJou

PooJou New Member

OK - many thanks to simboo again :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Compare the very before and after shots:
    Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

21. atomic punk

atomic punk pretty hate machine

twincharge that bitch :eek5:

22. sub9lulu

sub9lulu LSx RX-7 in progress krew

what a freaking messy engine bay

23. sub9lulu

sub9lulu LSx RX-7 in progress krew

oh and rx8 > that

24. Insert Tokens

Insert Tokens Making Cancer My Bitch OT Supporter

Nice.. always had a soft spot for the AE92 shape.. had one a while back (4AGE) and they're a solid little car.. always wanted to try a boosted one :)

25. Mr 20Valve

Mr 20Valve OT Supporter

whats the thing cable-tied to the strut brace? water pump for intercooler?