My Road Test - 2004 Audi a6 3.0 TDi Quattro

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Redline Racer, Jun 19, 2004.

1. Redline Racer

Redline Racer Subaru Tecnica International

Test drove the new A6 with my father this afternoon. Got a few pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Looks wise, since I saw it a pre-launch preview about 6weeks ago its really grown on me, and away from the showroom it looks awesome. One thing I cannot still get over is how huge the it is though, for a mid-size exec saloon its big.
    Main problem with the A6's vastness is that the 17 inch wheels (as above) look somewhat lost in the wheel arches. Even the versions I've seen on 18s dont look that impressive. Thankfully a 19 inch option is avaliable.

We drove the 3.0TDi Quattro version, and although performance is good for such a big car (0-60 in about 7.5secs), its never overtly vicious in its acceleration. It will pile on speed effortlessly on the open road, making use of all that torque (331 lb ft, more than the 4.2 V8).For a diesel it does makes a fairly cool induction noise once its moving, though at idle it does sound a bit agricultural.
    Six speed auto box is good, though the paddle-shifters are fairly pointless as it'll still shift up before the redline.

The model we tested was on sports suspension (20mm drop, stiffened) and to be honest on poor quality UK roads the ride was jittery and not soothing as you would expect.
    However I was in 4.2 V8 A6 with normal suspension last week, and that actually rode worse over bumps and potholes than this one on sports suspension. Strange? Yes.
    Body roll is well contained and for such a large car its corners with real enthusiasm.

Interior wise, I hated the walnut trim and grey leather as it looked too bland and goes against the radical exterior. Black with radial aluminium would be my personal preference. Otherwise theres a lot of space inside, its well finished and the MMI system if very intuitive to use.

Essentially I found the A6 very likeable, competent if just lacking the last degree of specialness :big grin:

2. curiousgeorgeM3

curiousgeorgeM3 naughty little monkey

The front end is hideaous and the "lack of specialness" that you describe seems to be the conclusion of most people that try Audi's new offerings of late. But I will reserve ultimate opinon for after I actually get to try one out.

3. Dr. Woo

Dr. Woo Guns don't kill people

I love the new A6. Perfect dimensions...larger, QUALITY interior...I just have to drive one now. :hs: