My reviews of the 748 vs 916 Ducati Superbikes

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Cachee0, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Cachee0

Cachee0 OT's Technical Recruiter, Send me your resume

Some people were asking about reviews so I thought it was better if I got some miles on the bike to give them good fair review.

So as many of you know I acquired both a 748 and a 916. The 748 is a 2000 and the 916 is a 1998. Both are amazing bikes. They are narrow, extremely sharp handling and have awesome braking. But both different and not just by CC size.

The 748 “The Medical scalpel”
    [​IMG]
    This would be the bike I would do track events. The motor loves to rev very smooth and precise. The suspension is firm and feed back from the front is telescopic. Very flick able and forgiving. The bike never stands up during braking in corners like the other sport bikes I have owned, which is mind boggling. Also I can charge out of corners before the apex. I hit Wide open throttle just after full lean. I can’t really explain this but I never ridden a bike that I could do this with. Most of the other bikes I have ridden were Japanese and feel num and you have to trust them were the 748 tells you exactly what’s going on. The feed back from the Ducati frame is key I think to this.

The V twin has great low end TQ. The bike likes to be over 5.5K rpm all the time. It pulls to redline and the power does not seem to drop off by feel at redline. This bike also has some comfort mods on it. Heli Handle Bars and a thick sergeant seat. I have ridden this bike for 500 miles at a time and still feel fresh and could do another 500 miles. You can tour with the 748 or commute with it with the mentioned mods. Other mods to the bike include Micron Slip ons, Aftermarket air cleaner and a 14t front sprocket with a chain conversation from 525 to 520. The bike also gets over 50mpg day in and day out. I had the valves adjusted and replaced the belts. The cost for this was 900 bucks not cheap but I really think it’s worth it. And I do ride a lot.

The 916 “Diamond cut CNC machined chisel with a huge fucken sledgehammer hitting it”
    [​IMG]
    This thing is a beast. It’s got so much low end grunt I end up pulling the front wheel off the ground powering out of corners. When I first got it I thought to my self well it’s quicker but not really better then the 748. Feels a little loose? It’s also not as smooth. I had a lot of issues with the bike because the last owner neglected it except for the Major services (Thank god). It needed a lot fasteners replaced and other little things. I went to town on the bike I have had it for 2 months now and this is the first week I have it on the road. I had the suspension sorted out and adjusted and honestly I think I could tighten it up with a fork upgrade. It feels softer then the 748 but I think that’s the way they set up the bike from the factory. I’m still trying to research this. It needed tires and brakes. I redid everything. Now lines, pads, Oil revisers, rear plate, rear blinkers, rear tail light, Micro switches for the brakes, cleaned up the wiring and really cleaned the bike of all road grim and gunk. The bike comes standard with a 190/50/17 on the rear. The turn in just sucks with the 190 so I installed a 180/55/17 instead just like the 748 has. I went with Pilot Powers and have 208GPs on the 748. After getting everything sorted out I started to ride the bike. The feel is great very much so like the 748 but unlike the 748 it’s not as forgiving and that’s because of the bigger motor. It pulls like a train and feels very light. Again the bike does not stand up in cornering but I take a completely different approach taking corners with this bike. I slow up a lot more tip in and hammer out after the apex and be careful with the throttle to keep the front wheel down. The brakes seem to fade less on the 916 then the 748 but that might be because of all the new hardware I installed and maybe even the tire performance. The mods on the 916 include 14t front sprocket, Fast By Ferricci Chip, 50mm half system, aftermarket air clean.

So for a great street bike I would go with the 916. The low end grunt makes it easier to ride in traffic and pull away from women in huge SUVs on their cell phones. The 748 also a great bike better suited for the track because of revy nature of the motor but also excellent for the street.

My wife rides with me:cool:
    [​IMG]

My cheezy photoshoot
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. diaper eater

diaper eater OT Supporter

:coold: good to hear some info from owners of ducs.

one question, i/my dad just got a 99 superhawk (996cc vtwin) and when you goose it, you can feel the fucking exhaust note pulsate throughout your body, the rumbling is just insane, are the ducs like this too? i have no experience with vtwins besides phelix's vtr250 :mamoru2:

3. Cachee0

Nope the ducati piston fire at 270 degrees after the first piston fires. The rods are on the same shaft on the crank.

The 916 has a smig more vibration at peak TQ then the 748. Just feels like a bigger motor more mass to it. Does it have a 90 degree twin?

4. balticmkiv

balticmkiv boostaholic OT Supporter

awesome write up!

5. Cachee0

I saw you have that chip for sale I was considering buying it from you but I getting bad MPG from my 916 with the same chip. So kinda turned off by it. What kinda MPG are you getting on the 748?

So what's your take on the 748?

Last edited: Nov 3, 2006
  6. diaper eater

yeah the superhawk is a 90 deg twin

7. Cachee0

8. balticmkiv

balticmkiv boostaholic OT Supporter

With the FBF chip my low fuel light was coming on at around 120 miles. IIRC these bikes have a 4 gallon capacity with the low fuel light coming on with 1 gallon left that would mean I am getting ~40mpg. Correct me if I am wrong.

As for my opinion on the bike I agree on many things that you stated. The bike has great amounts of tq throughout the whole powerband. I have no issues at all if I enter a corner at too low of a rpm. The bike will just pull through the curve effortlessly.

The 748 loves to be in the upper rpm range. If I find myself below 5k rpm the bike does not feel happy at all. It loves to be reved and is so silky smooth all the way up to redline.

Like mentioned above the bike has excellent feedback. You know exactly what the bike is doing at all times and inspires loads of confidence in a turn. I have let my buddies who ride mainly japanese bikes and they all commented on how easily the bike leaned over in the turns and how they felt really stable leaning it over.

9. Cachee0

Yep that sums it up. Now the 916 has as much grunt at 1.5K as the 748 does at 5K. Just mind blowing what that bike can do with someone that knows how to ride it well.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2006
  10. diaper eater

are the ducs decently rev happy? when i switch over from the superhawk to my f3 i end up over revving the fuck out of it when downshifting. and vice versa when going to the superhawk from the f3. all cuz the superhawk takes a lot longer to respond to throttle input and rev up

11. Cachee0

They are but not like inline 4s. My 748 redlines at 11.5K I shift at 11 or so. The 916 does 10.5K and I shift at just under 10 on it. What does the superhawk spin at?