GUN My review of the DeSantis Kingston CAR HOLSTER -- *PICTURES*

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Accord, Oct 7, 2006.

1. Accord

Accord New Member

I carry my Sig 229 DAK in a Comp-Tac CTAC IWB holster which I absolutely love and it's great for pretty much every purpose or situation - except riding in cars. I wear my CTAC at the 4:00 position which conceals the gun perfectly and is very comfortable, but I own a Subaru Impreza WRX STI and when i'm sitting down it is impossible to draw my weapon, especially with my seat belt on.

For a few weeks i've been trying to find a solution for riding in the car and have looked at every car holster setup imaginable, I ultimately decided on the DeSantis Kingston Car Holster (http://www.desantisholster.com/n92.html).

The DeSantis Kingston Car Holster does not come with a thumb break, and I believe that a thumb break is absolutely essential because if god forbid I were ever involved in a car accident the last thing I want is a gun with a round in the chamber flying about the cabin of the car and have the trigger snag on something. Therefore, I ordered the optional thumb break for the Kingston Car Holster here: http://www.desantisholster.com/n99.html

I placed my order and received it within 3 days and immediately put it in my car. Installation was very easy, the holster will work in pretty much any car that has a seat which has a seperate bottom cushion and seatback, allowing you to wrap the strap around the entire bottom seat cushion. I found that unless you cranked the strap down HARD, the holster would slide and you could not draw or holster your weapon without the holster moving or sliding, so you have to crank it down hard. When I cranked it down hard, the little strap would keep loosening up on it's own which was annoying, so I took some hockey tape (you can use any type of tape, doesn't really matter) and just wrapped it around the strap so it wouldn't come loose, and it held really well.

Once you install the tape so the strap is held down hard, the entire holster system is rock solid and you can draw and reholster without anything moving or slipping.

When I first installed it, I thought the steering wheel would be in the way when drawing, but it wasn't. You'll see what I mean in the pictures below. The Kingston Car Holster also has a magazine pounch on the front of it for a spare magazine, so you can have a lot of firepower strapped to your drivers seat. The holster can also be removed from the main strap and used as a regular IWB holster, however the process of removing the holster and putting it back on the strap is a little bit time consuming, it's not like you can just quickly snap it on and off when you want, it takes a few minutes.

I keep my Sig 229 in the Kingston Car Seat holster and then before getting out of the car I simply lean forward and put my 229 into my Comp-Tac CTAC before exiting the vehicle, it works really well. If I have to go somewhere like my recruiters officer or somewhere else where firearms are prohibited, I just take the gun from the Kingston Car Holster and lock it in my glovebox.

From the pictures, you'll see the buckle is exposed right on top of the seat where you sit and you think it may look uncomfortable, but when you sit down you don't even notice that it's there. My car is manual transmission so I am constantly operating the clutch pedal and my feet are always in constant motion, and I find that the holster and gun doesn't get in the way of my legs at all, and if it's not an issue in a sports car like the STI where you're low down and legs hug the seat, then it should work perfectly in all vehicles.

In conclusion, I believe the Kingston Car Holster is the best system for carrying a firearm in a car, overall I give it a 8.5 out of 10. The only thing I would like to see improved is the strap having velcro to "lock it" down in place so it doesn't come loose, but this is easily fixed with some good quality tape, so it's not a big issue.

Feel free to comment!

Here are the pictures of it installed in my car:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for reading, and I hope you enjoyed my review of the DeSantis Kingston Car Holster.

2. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

3. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

I wonder what the easiest way to carry a 1911 in a 944 turbo would be....

4. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

So how comfortable is sitting on the buckle? Looks like something easily made with a cheapo nylong holster and some webbing from REI.

5. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

6. Immortal1

Immortal1 New Member

if i was a cop i'd freak if i just saw a gun seemingly floating there. but overall very nice, and props on the STi

7. Accord

Accord New Member

You can't feel the buckle or anything at all.

8. Accord

Accord New Member

9. Platinum_Thunder

On a side note, I bought a DeSantis Nemesis pocketholster. I am pretty impressed. It adds bulk but it doesn't print. It was be useful in some pants I wear...others I will continue to just drop the gun in my pocket.

10. Accord

Accord New Member

I actually bought a S&W 642 yesterday and bought a Nemesis at the same time. I thought it was great until I sat down and my gun fell out of my pocket (thankfully it was on soft carpet so it didn't get marked up).

The holster definitely stays in your pocket well, but the gun doesn't stay in the holster unless you're standing up or sitting perfectly straight up, if you sit in a char with even the slightest recline the gun will slide right out.

11. Platinum_Thunder

Worrying about scratching a carry gun......:io:

12. Accord

Accord New Member

I'm not worried about scratching my gun, i'm worried about being in a movie theatre or a restaurant or something and my gun falling out onto the floor because of the Nemesis holster.

13. mtnbike4522

mtnbike4522 CelicaTech.com

:cool:

I just stick my 1911 inbetween the seats when i get in my truck. Holds it well

14. Accord

Accord New Member

But that's not tacticool :bigthumb:

15. mtnbike4522

mtnbike4522 CelicaTech.com

16. 993kgt

993kgt building an airplane whee

that is like having a carseat/babyseat for your rifle, stupid

why not put gun between seat and center console? thats what I do

17. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

I had a gun there for assassins. my problem was that it slid around a lot. it's a good thing nobody tried to squirt me when I was in my car. i compromised by tucking it under my right leg so I could easily pick up my leg a little, draw, and squirt.

otherwise I had the water pistol tucked in my backwith a jacket on to help hide my spray painted gun.

18. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

The steering wheel doesn't get in the way of a quick draw now?

And if you're driving and want to put it on you when you get out of the vehicle, then you have to switch holsters?

19. Accord

Accord New Member

Nope, it doesn't get in the way at all. When I first saw the picture on the DeSantis website I thought it would DEFINITELY get in the way and it probably even looks like that in my pictures, but it's really not in the way at all. I can draw from it just as quick as I can draw from my CTAC when standing up.

20. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

I've got an Uncle Mike's #1 pocket holster for my P3AT and it doesn't move at all. I could hang upside down with that thing in and it wouldn't budge :mamoru:.

21. jeri534

jeri534 OT Supporter

If I live in an open carry state, do I need a CCW for this setup?

22. TwoGuns

TwoGuns Medical Crew

I think with AZ you have to have it in the glove-box, center console, or out in the open. Under the front seat is forbidden for some reason. At least thats how it was last time I checked the laws.

23. mzmtg

mzmtg New Member

I'm short so I adjust my seat almost all the way forward. I think the wheel might get in the way for me...

24. Jon91SE

Jon91SE OT Supporter

Yea is that set up 100% legal in FL?

25. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

I'd be worried about getting pulled over the cop seeing the gun and freaking out.