GUN My review of Front Sight

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Bobula, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Bobula

Bobula Fairly Useless

Cut and pasted from another forum.

Hey guys,
    I got back early this morning from about a week long trip of freedom. Left at 2:am last wed for vegas, spent wed night in vegas experiencing the night life and fun. The next day (thursday) I was in Pahrump, NV, checking in to a hotel. The Saddle West in Pahrump serious bends over backwards for front sight students. Absolutely amazing customer service, and assistance for students, but you must book in advance! Also most of NV, except North Las Vegas and Boulder city, is a loaded open carried state. I open carried through the wal-mart in Pahrump. The only person who even batted an eye was the cashier, and she just had me turn so she could see what gun it was! God bless freedom!

Before I go into what I thought about Front Sight let me first explain my formal firearms training. I graduated from a CA Police Academy in sept of 2006. I then worked for a small PD, getting their version of POST firearms training, and qualifying quarterly. I've also been shooting since I was a kid, and carrying a side arm while hunting and the what not.

I went for the 4 day defensive handgun class, here's the course description.
    http://www.frontsight.com/courses/defensive-handgun-training-course.asp

With all the rumors of court cases and warning of be ready for 4 days of pyramid marketing crammed down your throat I was a little hesitant. I got a great deal on a 1st timer cert, and heard great reviews from friends who had been. I went with a friend who was taking a different course.

So begins day 1. We're greeted at the gate by a very professional looking staff member, who directs us where to park, and ensure we're unloaded then head to inspection. We park, gear up and approach the sign in desk. There's approximately 450-550 students, all with handguns on the hip or rifles over the shoulder. We sign in, write our names on tape, and head to inspection. At inspection they check out your gear, ammo, and firearm. My inspector instantly recognized my gun and asked for an empty mag before even unholstering it as it would need it for the function check, due to the mag disconnect. That surprised me he was that familiar with odd ball guns (I was carrying a sw 4006. Then it was off to the welcome lecture.

I'm not going to mention lecture or course material. If you're that curious go!

I wore my Calguns shirt the first day. Throughout the weekend I had various Cal gunners come talk to me. Don't worry guys I won't mention names. I also had a range master pull me aside and tell me how great of a site it was, how impressed he it with CGF, and how we need to keep the the solid work in CA. He lives in NV, so a big thumbs up to the upper management here!

The range staff was extremely professional, and safety was the absolute critical priority from day one. and my range had a very diverse gathering of people. Some people had never held a gun before, some were ex military, some were active leo's. We also had attorneys, accountants, retirees, and even a preacher! There were approx 36-40 students at the range I was at.

From day 1 to the end of day 4 instruction operated like a well oiled machine. Absolutely zero time was wasted, if you weren't on the line, you were a safety coach, reloading, or re hydrating. Cool water and gatorade powder were available at ALL times to us, included with the course. The pro shop at the school facility was surprisingly very well priced, ammo was a bit pricey, but that it to be expected.

The on-range training was superb. It seemed to lag a bit at the begining, but it's an all level student course. We had several people who had never even held a hand gun before arriving! At the end of the 4 day they were safe, comfortable, and fairly competent with them, for the most part. The range staff are some of the most impressive handgun shooters I've seen. Ragged holes at 15-20 yards with your gun to prove it can be down, if you were making excuses. Also the mindset of the instructors was very encouraging, if you didn't want they're help, you were more then welcome to tell them to buzz off and they would! It was up to you to take advantage of what you paid for.

The in classroom portion was what really surprised me. The lecture topics had the perfect blend of information, seriousness, and humor. They also covered topics some schools don't cover, including civil liability for a shooting.

The only portion I wasn't looking forward to was the 2nd day lunch presentation, as it was the membership portion. All I could think was "oh god from hear on out we get the 'give us money' crammed down our throats." Well it was about a 30-45 minutes presentation with Q&A, very professionally done with no pressure to buy, and not brought up again expect in mention to the benefits. My shooting from day one to day 4 was an incredible improvement, even when 1/2 through day 3 my S&W broke and I have to transition to my Glock. My improvement was also due to my mindset. I was there to learn, so I kept telling my self "I don't know s**t" to break my bad habits. They also increase the learned material at an increasing rate as the days go on. Including learning to draw from concealment.

All in all, even in 105+ degree heat, 10+ hours a day training (day 3 was 14+), fighting fatigue and dehydration it was THE BEST formal firearms training I've had. That was also the opinion of EVERYONE I talked to regardless of if the passed the course or not. I plan on attending several more courses and I'm looking into a membership. I'm currently hunting for a good deal on a returning student cert to take the 2 day handgun skill builder.

Finally, the most impressive thing, by far was Dr. Piazza's philosophy in regards to keeping gun ownership rights, fighting the encroaching gun laws, and creating a positive self image for gun owners and us pro gun folks. I very much liked the fact that no reporter is allowed to interview Dr. Piazza without first taking one of his courses (usually the submachine gun) :big grin:

Here's a few pictures of the facilities. All pictures were taken with permission of Front Sight.

From under the shaded on range lecture area
    [​IMG]

the on range lecture area/re-hydration area
    [​IMG]

Next range over, and the "brown rooms" the storm broke up really quick as it passed the mountains and never got to us.
    [​IMG]

The parking areas, with rappel/rope towers and obstacle course in the background
    [​IMG]

Some in classroom shots, the classroom is nicely air conditioned and seats apprxo 600-700
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Practice drills with concealment
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After my S&W broke. Always bring a back up, because 2 is 1 and 1 is none!
    [​IMG]

A little friendly competition.
    [​IMG]

Some general range photos
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cliffs: Front Sight was worth the money. No excessive sales pitch. Good solid training for almost all levels of gun handler.

2. Admitted

Admitted I shouldn't be on OT right now.

I really need to get some formal training.

3. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I can't help but wonder just how many scientologists attend front sight :rofl:

4. AustinL911

AustinL911 Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

That looks like one hell of a facility. Yeesh.

5. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

:rofl: Your S&W broke.

6. Bobula

Bobula Fairly Useless

Yea, fucking barrel is toast. :rofl:
    Blazer .40cal is know so shred jackets, but I started getting two no round, non patterned impacts per round. We disassembled the gun and the rifiling is uneven, and smooth at one point. I knew it was pretty close to death.

New barrel, professional fitting and it'll be good to go. :squint:

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  7. Slick26

What model S&W do you has?

8. Bobula

Bobula Fairly Useless

I has several, but my S&W 4006 is that one that failed.
    [​IMG]

I also has a 4506, 422, 686-6+, 15-2, and a 629. :wiggle:

9. Slick26

I see no M&Ps... I have found your problem.

10. Bobula

Bobula Fairly Useless

I'll take my glocks over an M&P any day. I bought an M&P 40 but it just wasn't comfortable, with any of the backstraps, and the 2 piece hinged trigger was fucking weird. They're great guns, just not for me.

11. GearHead

GearHead Active Member

My old man has been hounding me to go with him some time...I think I might have to.

12. Bobula

Bobula Fairly Useless

If you do stay at the saddles west if you're on a budget. Free breakfast, $4 box lunches to take to front sight, $2 off dinner buffet, and $3 blackjack with free booze. Double occupancy, 4 night stay with food and everything was $96.50 per person.

13. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Why hallo pahrump.

Wmd field trip?

14. Bobula

Bobula Fairly Useless

The gentlemens club in Pahrump was OC friendly. Toting a gun while getting a lap dance? Fucking priceless. God bless freedom!

[​IMG]

15. GearHead

GearHead Active Member

Good to know. Thanks!