My receiver turns off my computer?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by IceMurder, Apr 12, 2007.

1. IceMurder

IceMurder Guest

So i just got a new receiver and set it up and everything, but today I noticed that when I turn the receiver on, it restarts my computer...My computer and the receiver are plugged in at opposite sides of the room, what else could it be? Just too much current draw at the same time?

2. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

If I attempt to turn on my TV while the HTPC is running it'll do the same thing. I have a small battery backup for the HTPC now.

3. IceMurder

IceMurder Guest

i have my computer on a battery backup but it doesnt have enough power to keep my computer running...

so its kind of pointless :o

4. dew

dew Banned

get a real backup:coolugh:one that will power it for days:bowdown:

5. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

Is this common? Right now I can get a sweet backup for like 20$ if I need it. 12v 24ah x2.

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

There's not enough wattage available on that circuit to run both devices. Chances are, your receiver pulls about 400W on startup, and the computer probably pulls the same constantly. Combine that with all the other stuff on that circuit (lights, TV, maybe a ceiling fan), and you can easily exceed the 1200W that a single residential circuit can provide.

A backup battery isn't a bad idea, but try to move the receiver onto another circuit if you can.