My R40 apparently blew up, so I want to try to make it into a server v. Linux help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Daveee, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Daveee

Daveee New Member

Yeah, I know that I'm really wasting my time more than anything making a dinky little laptop like a 5 year old R40 into a server, but I just want to give it a shot and have an excuse to play around with Linux too. Here's what you should keep in mind, though: while I know enough about Windows to get around comfortably, I am at a COMPLETE loss when it comes to Linux. Talk to me like I'm an idiot and walk me through step by step if you offer a suggestion, please.

Am I looking for Ubuntu or is there a better, more newbie-friendly version of linux I can find for free? What do I need to know about Linux as opposed to Windows if all I plan on using that computer for is as a remote host/server and occasionally internet access for e-mail?

Thanks

2. zanyspy_dude

zanyspy_dude King of teh n00bz

Honestly, I would setup ubuntu and use that to serf the internet for a while. Linux isn't that different if you're just playing and there are plenty of forums where you can get good help for anything you do run into trouble with.

I would seriously put off using this as a server until you know what you are doing. It can be difficult to secure a server...

3. glamdering

glamdering New Member

And you can always us WINE for windows programs. and if you get lost on installing WINE Google it and you can fined people that can help or just ask me i have a WINE auto installer.