My porter cable vibrates like a mofo

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by AznRyda, Apr 15, 2007.

1. AznRyda

AznRyda キモかわいい!

I have a 7424 with a 6 inch backing plate using 6.5 inch CCS pads. Should I try out a 5 inch backing plate instead? it hurts to hold for an extended period of time. :-x

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

You get used to it.

Take the handle off and just put your hand on the head of the PC, works better and vibrates less that way.

3. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

amen to that. first time i used my PC i had the handle on. that shit unscrewed itself before i finished a fender! needless to say, it was off in no time.

4. spark plugs.

spark plugs. beautiful. OT Supporter

make sure you're using the right counter-weight for the 6" backing plate.

5. Scottwax

I have both the 7424 and 7336 and I can't really tell a difference with either using a 6" backing plate.

6. AznRyda

AznRyda キモかわいい!

Well the 7424 comes with the counterweight for the 5 inch backing plate. But then I have a 6 inch one and I don't know if thats causing the issue. It seriously is so loud and so noisy. Almost hard to control. :o

I tried using a 5.5 inch pad and its not nearly as bad as the 6.5 pad, but even still its pretty nuts.

On an unrelated note, I got the paint shiny and most of the swirls are gone but the previously owner still has bird poop that messed up the paint in some areas and dings everywhere. :-\ Kind of detracts from how nice it is.

7. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

The 6" counter weight does remove some of the vibration, but it has alot more gyroscopic motion to it. Its a trade off.

Personally i prefer it with the 6" counter weight.

All i can recemend is get a grip on yo shit, and man handle it.

8. rkf76

rkf76 New Member

at what speed are you using it? Reason I ask is because I have issues with it as well but only when using at speed 6 for a long period of time. The vibration was horrendous, this was of course using the oem counterweight with the 6.5" pads in the package deal.

Also, I don't understand this.............why do vendors sell the pc w/6.5" pads in their package deals KNOWING it only comes with a counterweight which states clearly "use 5" pad only"? It would be a non-issue if they either sold 5" pads with it or provided the appropriate counterweight for the 6" pads.

Anyways, the backing plate isn't likely to fix your problem, i'm thinking you're using it at a very high speed and possibly need to change your grip. If you're using 6.5" pads, you might want to upgrade your counterweight as well and get one for use with them instead of the smaller 5.25" pads.

9. exceldetail

exceldetail New Member

Friggin WERD.............

10. Scottwax

Because the difference is EXTREMELY small. Trust me, I have both the 7424 and the 7336 and the difference is barely perceptable.

11. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Personally i can feel quite a bit of difference between the two. The 5inch is lighter feeling, but the 6 inch provides less mechanicle vibration. I think that the 6" may actually cause some second and third order harmonics throught he body of the polisher, that the 5" doesnt.

Keep in mind though, ive also been useing the 8" meguires foam pads, which have alot more inertia to them, so maybe thats where im seeing most of the differences in vibration? :dunno:

I jsut ordered a new 5" backing plate, and the new Erasure pads from Patrick (along with a bottle of OptiSeal, hopfully it lives up to the hype).

Anyway, i chose the 5" backing plate with teh 6.5 pad in hopes that vibration canb eeven further reduced.

The stuff should be here tomorow, so as soon as i can give it a try, i will let everyone know what the differences, if any, are between that, ant a 6" backing plate with the meguires 8",

12. Scottwax

6" backing plate with 6.5 or 7" pads works perfectly.

13. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

I also use, and like the little 6" meguires foam pads, which require a 5" backing plate. WHich is why i chose it. Plus i like a little extra wiggle room around my pads anyway.