My poor G5...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by tenplanescrashing, Jan 30, 2009.

1. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

So a while back I mentioned that my machine was going to sleep when heavy tasks were being ran and I couldn't figure out why. Well, found that my CPU cooler leaked, a common problem starting with the dual 2.5ghz G5. Being just under a year out of AppleCare, I was told to take it in and see what they say. So I did...

Guy at the Genius bar asked a lot of questions and I answered them truthfully...this has been a problem for over a year now but never thought about anything since my AppleCare had expired. He went in the back to talk to his manager and came back and said they'd run some tests and if they don't find anything that looks like I contributed to the "spill" or the forced sleeping (overheating), they'll cover the cost of replacement parts...:bowdown:

I get a phone call yesterday telling me that they're working on my machine and have had to replace "multiple parts" and are awaiting a logic board to come in. Wow, here I thought everything was going to be fine and they'd just replace the CPU cooler but it sounds like the processors & possibly the memory have been replaced. From what he quoted me, before telling me they'd cover it, the processors (2.7ghz) are somewhere in the $600-800 range, the logic board is about the same, and of course memory is around $100/gb and I have 2gb.

This is borderline new Mac Pro, but I wasn't as lucky to have my machine replaced with a new one. oh well, this still saves me a lot of money and just enhances my respect for such a well respected and customer friendly company.

2. 5SpeedSER

5SpeedSER OT Supporter

Atleast they fixed it for sure! My dual 2ghz g5 has always had some small over heating issues... though mostly related to the GPU i think. Damn these things are problematic, the g5 just runs TOO hot. Probably good they ditched them for the intels.

3. tenplanescrashing

the funny thing is, i haven't had any issues with it besides this and the problem is the actual cpu cooler, not apple. They switched brands somewhere before the dual 2.5 and they mainly happen to the latter ones.

4. CodeX

CodeX Guest

OH MY FUCKING GOD...

1) There is no such thing as a logic board (unless the dipshit meant motherboard)
    2) That processor should cost around $200... NOT 800!!! For 800 bucks you could get an Intel Core i7 Extreme 3.2ghz (fastest processor in existence)
    3) I can buy 4 gigs of the fastest available memory (DDR3 12800) for $100
    4) They are SCREWING you royally.

Proof for #2:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115131

Proof for #3:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231193

I could build an entire computer that would outperform your G5 for less than they are quoting you for a couple replacement parts.

*edit* I just looked it up, the fucking thing uses PC3200 DDR :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
    You can get 8gb of that shit for a hundred bucks... Jesus christ, "$100/gb" :bowrofl:

*edit2* Here is a little bit about your "600-800 dollar" processor:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerPC_970
    The quad core i7 extreme would blow both of them (theres 2 in the G5) out of the water, by at least 2x, for less than apple is quoting you to replace them.

Honest to god, I am not just being a douche, but that computer is equivalent to a 5 year old machine that would sell for $300-$400 bucks these days. Do yourself a favor and use the money they want to fix it to build a machine that would run laps around it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2009
  5. bagged

bagged monsta truck

wow douchenozzle:

#1 apple calls it the logic board so :dunno:
    #2 yea well try and find a genuine g5 processor on newegg
    #3 again, is this genuine apple ram, NO
    #4 your opinion

6. CodeX

CodeX Guest

Fine.

Who would want to? It is old shit, it is ancient, look at the link to it I posted above, and they want as much for it as you would spend on the fastest processor in existence today.

It's PC3200 DDR... it is ANCIENT, it goes for $18 per gig on newegg. The apple logo makes it worth 6x as much? Are you that dumb? The chips apple uses are made in the same plant in hong kong that makes the ones that are on the sticks sold by newegg...

Backed up by fact.

If he handed me the cash that apple quoted him it would cost to repair his ancient computer I could build him one that would make it feel like he just stepped out of a prius and into a ferrari...

The reason they covered it is because the actual cost of the parts is under $100 and if they didn't cover and you decided not to fix it you might find out that the shitty hardware inside their case is TERRIBLE by todays standards and they might lose a customer. Keep thinking they have excellent customer service, I just proved they inflated their prices by more than 400% the cost of similiar components.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2009
  7. bagged

bagged monsta truck

reading>you hes not paying shit.

8. CodeX

CodeX Guest

reading>you

:bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl:

9. bagged

bagged monsta truck

HI I EDIT MY POST SO I DONT LOOK LIKE QUITE AS MUCH OF AN ASS !!!111

10. CodeX

CodeX Guest

You quoted it you fucking moron :rofl::rofl::rofl:

[​IMG]

11. DouggieJ

DouggieJ OT Supporter

Did you ask if you can pay a supplement to get a Mac Pro?

12. ov3n

ov3n Active Member

They're replacing it because Apple has an extended warranty program for the liquid cooled G5's due to their leaking problems.

The other stuff is probably due to the overheating and sudden shutdowns. Which is why they're covering that as well.

My current problem is since 10.5.5 my computer will KP when waking from sleep if left for a few hours.

13. tenplanescrashing

how about you troll your ass out of this thread and the forum? If you don't fucking like how apple does things, don't buy from them. The less fucking douchebags, the better.

This is what they quoted me, and they're rough quotes, not actual quotes. Im sure you can build a faster machine for the money...actually, I can guarantee it. But you'd still be running winblows and not running an OS that is, IMO, much more stable and overall better. You don't think so?...go hump Bill Gates leg while jerking off to the command prompt.

14. tenplanescrashing

If you actually knew anything, you'd know that older parts are generally more than newer. But, because we're still using Apple Certified Hardware (before the Intel switch), you pay the premium to know that it works for the OS and other hardware that may be on the machine. But you wouldn't know anything about that because you fucking quoted DDR3 12800 RAM, which can be used on how many general PC's these days? And don't tell me gamers, because they're a whole other subdivision of the PC world that few actually participate in if added all PC's up.

15. CodeX

CodeX Guest

I quoted the best, fastest, highest performance memory available and demonstrated that I can get 4 times more of it for the price apple is charging for 5 year old trash.

I then quoted the best, fastest, highest performance processor available today and demonstrated that you could get it for the same price apple is charging for a 5 year old off brand piece of shit processor. The PowerPC RISC architecture was intended as a power efficient, budget, embedded processor, not a desktop processor.

Also, you sure as hell can run OSX on the hardware I quoted, you been living in a cave?

16. tenplanescrashing

so what should apple do? completely write me off because im using hardware that they don't use anymore? I don't understand the argument...if that's what they pay, that's what they pay. I don't know and I don't care...if I was to pay for it, I would have ditched it for a new Mac Pro instead. But since they're paying for it, why bring it up as a basis for your supposed argument?

Oh wait, it's because you're a troll and that's what douchebag trolls do.

17. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

:werd: codex is making an ass out of himself again for no reason. apple quoted the repair in rrp which is super expensive because it always is and the parts are no longer made. Who cares what it actually costs them (i'm sure its a lot more than 100) because they are doing it for free - and thats pretty good service.

18. CodeX

CodeX Guest

You can say whatever you want, it doesn't change the fact that apple quoted him 400% more than 2 generations newer memory.

Lets see... $100 per gig for old DDR1 or $25 per gig for DDR3... hmm...

Fucking ridiculous, look at all you fags sticking up for apple and their bullshit. It's great they didn't charge him, but what if they had? What if they had determined his negligence contributed to the failure? They were going to charge him $200 bucks for memory that you could buy online for less than $50... and its the same shit, it is not some special apple format, PC3200 DDR is PC3200 DDR, you could literally buy 4gb of this shit for $50 on newegg and plug it straight into the "logic board" :)mamoru:) on your G5...

Proof:
    http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=4ED8D70EA5CA7304&cat=RAM

Look at it... its just normal PC3200 DDR...

19. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

so now all you care about is the vague statement originally made about the memory: "memory is around $100/gb"

of course ddr2/3 is cheaper, its in massive production / sale volumes because every current computer uses it, ddr1 is on the way out and at a guess apple probably isnt buying any more hence the high price of their old warehouse stock to keep some left for warranty fixes that they are liable etc.

fuck you are an ass.

20. CodeX

CodeX Guest

So you are saying they artificially jack up the price of their "warehouse stock", stuff that they already have just laying around, to a higher price than the memory ever sold for to begin with? Do you think this may be an attempt to turn a profit under the guise of "well its more expensive now because its rare" even though they have stocked quantities of it that they purchased when it was not rare at all? Do you think they inform their customers that they are paying 4x as much as modern memory for decade old technology?

Open your eyes and think about things rationally and you won't get swindled as often.

21. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

22. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

the problem is that "modern memory" does not fit an old machine. your argument is pointless.

23. CodeX

CodeX Guest

Get a clue... you said they have stocked quantiies of it... when did they buy these stocked quantities, when it was rare and expensive or when it was mainstream and cheap?

You know damn well they bought it when it was at rock bottom, or they wouldn't be an (almost) successful company. So, why jack the price up to more than it ever sold for? Because they have the excuse that it is rare now... to rip off their customers.

24. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

and stockpiling parts for years in a warehouse is free?

Preserving limited supplies for warranty claims that you are still liable for rather than just selling it cheap to anyone wanting an upgrade is stupid?

have you ever had any exposure to a business?

ib :mb: iworkwithfibre :mb: imsocoolicanprogramachip :mb:

25. CodeX

CodeX Guest

I know a business fails when they sell a product for 400% more than a superior competing product :rolleyes:
    Probably why macs occupy less than 10% of the market...