A&P My personal photography progression over 2007.

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by ace3, Jan 7, 2008.

1. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

I posted this in OT today, but thought it would be nice to keep this here so it doesn't get pruned. These pics should all be chronological starting in the beginning of 2007.

I've been interested in photography since I was a little kid, and I finally decided it would be a good idea to spend way too much $$ on a camera.

My first two shots with my Canon XTi. Tried messing with DOF, I guess.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I took the camera to Cabo San Lucas in March for some better scenery. :o

These guys were playing golf under the moonlight. Pretty cool. This is just off the pool at Las Ventanas al Paraiso. Pretty impressive place.
    [​IMG]

Then i went to Guatemala in May for my Nephew's first birthday. I realized this camera really isn't all that impressive. Either that, or i had a LOT more to learn. I blamed the camera.
    [​IMG]

I then heard that a "faster lens" would be a smart upgrade. I wasn't about to spend $300+ on a new lens for this (what I thought to be) malfunctioning camera ... so, i bought the 50mm/1.8 for a trip to Paris. This thing made me realize that the camera wasn't the problem ... it was my dumbass.
    [​IMG]

i found myself using this as often as possible, even though it was a prime & not as easy as a zoom lens. i was amazed by the clarity, sharpness, and color between this & the kit lens. Normandy beach:
    [​IMG]

I got back in town & realized I needed to ditch the kit lens. So, after lots of reviews, I settled on the Sigma 17-70mm. Inexpensive, much wider & longer than the kit lens, and a f/2.8 at the wide end. Not bad.
    [​IMG]

Realized I really like this lens, and ended up taking my camera -everywhere-.
    [​IMG]

After using the 17-70 for a while & taking pictures of the dumbest stuff ever, I knew I had to learn why my available-light (indoor) pictures didn't look good. Why was the shutter going so slow?
    [​IMG]

Figured out that unless I had a flash, that a low f-stop was the cat's ass for indoor shit. I had been using Aperture-Priority mode pretty much 100% of the time until now. I now realized that if I wanted full control, I had to use Manual mode. So, I kept switching between the two modes ... seeing what Av selected really helped me to figure out what I should start at with M settings.
    [​IMG]

I really started using Manual mode, adjusting white balance, using my flash, and a whole bunch of other shit (all at the same time). Things just came to be second nature, I guess, because even 6 months ago, i would have just set the camera down & gave up.
    [​IMG]

I then found out about lens rental. I could try out extremely expensive lenses for really not that much $$. I'm very happy I rented the "everyone's favorite" 70-200 f/2.8 IS lens for our family golf tournament. My grandpa passed away 2 months after this photo was taken. It's easily the best & most favorite photo I've ever taken.
    [​IMG]

After getting most of the basics down throughout the year, I started focusing on post production. 99% of my photos earlier in the year had barely any PP on them at all, other than maybe some white balance correction. I started cropping, enhancing, converting, applying filters ... anything i could to learn Lightroom as well as possible.
    [​IMG]

it was at this time that I bought the heavily-recommended 10-22 lens as well. It was tough to spend as much on one lens as my actual camera cost, but after seeing the fun shots it will let you take, I was hooked.
    [​IMG]

I then joined a golf club & started golfing 2-3 times a week. I often found myself taking out a cart by myself & not playing every hole, because I kept taking pictures.
    [​IMG]

I then had a blast putting together a wedding album for some great friends of mine. I was in the wedding, but brought my camera anyway, just for kicks. I ended up putting together an entire book of photos of mine that they loved. I was really happy with how it turned out.
    [​IMG]

I then went back to Guatemala in November, and realized that I was going to look like a poser if I didn't have a white lens of my own. So, I bought the 70-200 F/4L IS & brought it with me. I liked the smaller size & lighter weight of it over the f/2.8. The IS is an absolute godsend.
    [​IMG]

Then the inevitable happened. I found a great deal on a used Canon 40D + Grip + 17-85IS (a new lens!). I told myself that I would NOT buy it unless I could find someone that wanted to buy my camera. Just like it was fate (or an evil wallet demon), my boss came in my office hours later and said "if you ever want to sell your camera, let me know. I'd like to buy one for my husband". So, I bought the 40D. Also ordered a new flash (580EX II).
    (the actual pic sucks, but i thought it was funny)
    [​IMG]

So, now I'm armed with my 40D, 4 lenses, 2 flashes, 3 camera bags, tripod, and hundreds of gigs of Compact Flash cards. This is the worst hobby for people that like to save their money. I don't recommend it one bit. Okay, I really do. It's a blast, and I'm psyched to be able to have these images forever.
    [​IMG]

2. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

3. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

fantastic write up, I liked it a lot :big grin:

4. OlafBeserka

OlafBeserka girls pee pee when they see me OT Supporter

I really like the golfing shot, where the golfer is on the right. The colors are awsome! Great work.

5. tenxia

tenxia OT Supporter

I love your wedding book. I hope I can create a book like that one day (not wedding, just a book with pics on the pages)

BTW, nice write up! :bigok:

6. OlafBeserka

OlafBeserka girls pee pee when they see me OT Supporter

Hopefully by next year, I'll make a post like this. Sigma 17-70mm has been ordered

7. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

Thanks for all of your help/assistance over the year. I really have a lot of fun with this stuff, which is great. :)

8. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

www.blurb.com

works with flickr, too.

the quality isn't awesome, but for a bday/xmas gift, they would be really cool. I plan on making one for the relatives when/if i have a kid someday.

9. kristin

kristin my dog > *

10. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

:coold: I've learned a lot this year as well and have really become very proficient with my D50. I may not nail the shot everytime but at least I learn and understand what to do for the next one! I've only sunk about $2k or so into my photography gear :o

11. tenxia

tenxia OT Supporter

thanks man, i'll check it out

12. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

I wish I could say I've only spent $2k on stuff :sad2:

13. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

I sell what I don't "need". I've been good about doing that....

14. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

no way on earth am i going to total up what i've spent for fear of the wife finding this post & reading it. :noes:

15. CHOWBOX

CHOWBOX OT Supporter

:werd:

16. tenxia

tenxia OT Supporter

Anyone know a good place to sell photography equipment? Like an trade/exchange/sale forums just for photo stuff? with serious ppl.

17. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

fredmiranda.com
    photography-on-the.net

i've bought from both, worked well. fair prices.

18. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

and keh.com

I've had good luck selling stuff on POTN though

19. tenxia

tenxia OT Supporter

thank you sir

edit: is POTN just canon? i use nikon

20. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

i'm sorry. www.toysrus.com maybe?

:rofl: :rofl: only kidding

21. ThexToddster

ThexToddster New Member

Already gave some :love: in the other thread.

:h5:

22. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

yeah it's only canon