My path to becoming a mundial champ

Discussion in 'MMA Training Logs' started by brolli, Dec 8, 2009.

1. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

so I've decided to set this as a goal, winning a gold at the mundials at any belt (purple+).

Already I know that in order to win the purple belt division, I have to be as good as a SOLID brown, to win the brown I have to be a black, and to win the black I have to be brock lesnar :mamoru:.

So, I know its hard work but I'm going to keep a log of my work outs here.

as of today I am 161 lbs (weight has been fluctuating a good amount) at 5'7"

here are pictures (not all from today)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

so today, I trained chest and abs

started with:

135 x 10 warm up bench
    250 x 3
    275 x 3
    315 x 1
    320 x 0
    225 x 10

incline
    185 x 10
    185 x 10
    185 x 10

leg raises hanging
    3 x 15

leg raises dip bar
    3 x 15

oblique machine
    3 x 15 per each side, on 110 lbs

3. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

good luck on winning the whole thing in 3rd place champ!

but for real, awesome goal & looking forward to seeing you out here next year.

4. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

12/8/09

Legs+shoulders

squat:
    135 x 5
    155 x 5
    185 x 5
    185 x 5
    185 x 5
    185 x 5
    185 x 5

Hamstring curls
    90 x 10
    90 x 10
    90 x 10
    90 x 10
    90 x 10

calve press
    135 x 30
    135 x 30
    135 x 30
    135 x 30

shoulder press
    110 x 15
    110 x 15
    110 x 15

5. teep

teep New Member

so that's what i'd look like if i put on 15 pounds :mamoru:

6. rtzcom

rtzcom bon wons! fight slepa for life sone!~

We are the same height...and I am nowhere near the amount of mass you have lol

7. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

Good luck man.. That's a great goal to have. Your grappling is sound. It is very realistic for you to win mundials.

Mat time, mat time, mat time.

8. ZZex

ZZex New Member

Good luck. Keep training and don't give up

9. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

12/9/09

bjj tonight (Gi class)

drilled north south attacks, and escapes

Rolled with 2 blue belts, one purple

Today's main goal was to practice refining my half guard sweep sequence, and guard passing. Sweeps were coming no problem, the most common finish being the knee tap. Had to use de la riva once, which also came pretty easy.

Two of them were playing butterfly/spider guards and I practiced "leg ripping" the butterfly guards, and crushing by hipping in while dragging the leg across for spider guard. Feeling very very confident in both.

Purple belt guy used inverted guard a few times but I was able to pin him/staple him using a pass I learned, and then forced him to play a normal half guard/open guard game which I passed. Took his back, and let him go to practice more inverted passing... For the most part I feel comfortable attacking the inverted guard, I have a good sense of what the correct angle to go in is, as well as where most of the attacks come from.

Things to improve: fighting de la riva guard (almost nobody uses it here), being comfortable fighting from, and being in the 50/50 position (which is rarely used here too).

10. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

Ken - dont worry about the fancy guards. All of this DLR, 50/50, Inverted/Tornado, Rubbish Guard - it's all trendy junk man. Smash, pass, top game. That should be your motto for winning mundials. You're short, stocky and strong. You should be working top game, top game, top game. Your bottom game should be getting back to top game. Don't lose site of BJJ roots. That is what wins mundials.

11. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

I agree with this, it also reminds me of that interview with Ryan Hall where he describes the trend in high level competition. One concern I have is facing people who have high level guards that are unorthodox. I think it would be ideal if I had at least a couple training partners who primarily play that type of game, but for now I am getting practice against mainly butterfly/half butterfly/spider guard people

12. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

ah, I just re-read your post, in my blog above I was referring to improving fighting against the de la riva guard, and fighting against the 50/50. I don't really consider either of those positions to be my strongest positions, although I do know how to use them.

13. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

At purple belt - you're not going to face high level guys with high level unorthodox guards. Basic jiu jitsu will smash that stuff out anyways. Your strong and have a great base. Play your game. Top game.

I knew what you were saying. I'm just saying dont focus on unconventinoal guards. At purple belt, you're not going to come across highly advanced players with these guards. Work your game. Smash, pass, position, tap.

:h5:

14. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

Thanks for the tips broseph, I will definitely stay true to the roots of bjj and smash through guards.

12/10/09

class ended way late today, couldn't make bjj... but last class for a long while.

trained triceps/back mostly

10 sets of 10 pullups
    10 sets of 10 dips

110 x 3 each side obliques
    45 hanging leg raises
    120 lbs shrugs (20 x 3)

15. f-g

f-g OT Supporter

:rofl: ken was blurring out the face necessary?

gl though :h5:

16. ZZex

ZZex New Member

:werd: on Drag On's advice. Purples shouldn't be having great unorthodox guards besides the basic. Go with the Roger Gracie route and you'll own. I hate when short/strong wrestler types control me while I'm on bottom. I'm lanky and I typically fail at top game compared to my bottom. Keep on trucking man.

17. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

thanks for the tips, I do intend on developing my game around that route.

12/11/09

Drove down to my old academy to train because I am in baltimore for this weekend.

Open mat, only one person showed up, a 160 lb blue belt.

We rolled for 2 hours, over and over and over. He played a really unorthodox game going inverted attempting the helicopter sweep, and also doing the de la riva guard sweeps (particularly the de la riva spider roll or w/e you call it... cobrinha does it)

I had so much time to play from the top position, I crushed his inverted guard to pass, and then take his back --> let him go from almost finished bow and arrow choke. The de la riva guard, I practiced a few things: I crossed his free leg across my body to crush and pass a few times, and then I let him re-guard to practice also jumping into a knee bar position. I was able to land like 4 knee bars from this position throughout the night.

He never ever played a normal half guard, everytime I got close he spun inverted, and everytime i stood up he went de la riva. I noticed when I caught him in a transition and crushed, he didn't have an answer.

Then I started on bottom a ton of times to practice sweeping. The guy has a super strong cut pass which caught me off guard at first. I swept him over his back 3 times from quarter guard (i think this is what its called, its when he is nearly finished cutting his knee through, but doesn't have the underhook).

Then I started playing a little more aggressive and went for several combinations from just normal half guard. He was great at basing out and stopping the knee tap, but I caught him with the sweep where I roll underneath. Also, taking his back from deep half was pretty simple, probably the easiest option against his style (which I will take note of).

De la riva seriously can get annoying to deal with, but I am getting better at identifying the opportunity to pass it

18. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

12/12/09
    promotions seminar today

had 4 hours of hard rolling, worked on passing a lot of spider guard, and normal half guard. Learned better ways to pass open guard, and also practiced some throws.

19. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

12/13/09

People too hungover to train today. A friend of mine gave me the jeff glover deep half guard dvds, so I decided to spend a couple hours watching them. Long drive home back to NJ as well

20. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

Look at the success. Dude plays DLR and Inverted/Tornadoe and you smash him.

Keep it up Ken.

21. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

12/14/09

bjj no gi
    practiced passing de la riva, butterfly, and some escapes from side mount in drills

Rolled with a ton of people afterwards, because there were so many people today we had to start on our knees. I was able to snap down and front headlock like 3 or 4 dudes who ducked their head down too low in butterfly/open guard. Put myself in bottom to practice some sweeps too, hit like 4 deep half guard sweeps easy. Got darced once by this huge guy, so I was cautious about that. against the same guy, I just decided to out-scramble him and took his back twice by creating a little space, and snapping his head down and doing a go behind.

Going to work hard on takedowns tomorrow.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  22. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

12/15/09

conditioning/takedowns today

drilled arm drag to inside trip to double leg
    drilled snap to double
    drilled snap to high crotch and some finishes from here

lots of conditioning --> takedowns, jump rope, push ups, squats, jumping jacks, etc etc.

Timing is EVERYTHING, been focusing on penetration step happening AS I am doing the set up. This seriously isn't practiced enough at/all amongst low level wrestlers.

23. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

12/16/09

no gi today again
    drilled attacking the turtle, defending double under pass, and some single leg defense

rolled with a few purple belts around my weight, both played with their hooks a lot, was able to pass a few times. Found it a whole lot easier to pass than de la riva/inverted. I put myself on bottom as well, got subbed via knee bar once from deep half so I will be careful about that. Particularly hooking the leg or rolling up sooner. But knee tap sweep has been solid, even if they stand up I out wrestle them there and get a takedown.

going to work on some full guard tomorrow. I am pretty comfortable there, just need to drill consistent pressure (i.e. preventing the top guy from stalling). The main thing I am going to try and re-enforce would be that the option of standing back up or front headlocking is always there.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  24. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

12/17/09

no gi

fucking 2 hours of rolling straight.

Rolled with 3 purple belts, and a couple of blues in rotation.

I practiced starting in guard a lot, most of them used a knee through pass where I was able to switch to de la riva real hard and take the back/sweep, or I just create space and stand back up and go for a takedown.

I also practiced starting in half guard a good amount, I was able to knee tap plenty of times, but against one guy... he was real good at basing out, so I had to attempt a roll through, go back to the knee tap, and then turned it into a single leg into an ankle ride for a takedown.

Started standing in neutral as well, I was able to head snap double leg or do a quick tap into a double and then dump pretty well. I got darce choked twice by the same guy off of the takedown, and I see where it came from. After the takedown I have to look up HIGH with my head and pull it out if he has the darce locking up.

Worked using leg locks as well, every single person I rolled with I knee barred at least once. The entry that I used was from half guard, when they were sitting back. Feel really strong from this position, so I didn't go for leg locks after getting a single tap from it.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  25. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

12/18/09

no gi

practiced single leg defense, and takedowns. Head tap setup was the one ive been having the best percentage with.

Rolled a bunch too, practiced passing open guard/butterfly guard. Practiced taking the back a lot, and also got darced once :=/