SRS My parents keep telling me that I need to get out more

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by LSchenz, Jan 25, 2009.

1. LSchenz

LSchenz New Member

I transferred schools and I am going to a college near my house and living at home. I didn't have a strong group of friends in high school and I certainly don't now.

Its not that I don't enjoy socializing but, it seems like having friends is another job.

I don't think I'm wrong for keeping to myself but my parents are making it seem like I'm not enjoying being alone.

2. no lol today

no lol today Soy la bailarina de la muerta. OT Supporter

They probably think you have greater potential for happiness.

Are you an only child/youngest or are there other kids?

Your parents might want you to get out more often so they can do it.

3. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Its not good to become a hermit, there is more out there in life , the only thing ive learned from being introvert is that you have to become extravert, its purely about the realisation that life is about intereaction of your inside world with the outside world. Its a bit of a hard concept tho, because i know all too good that it seems nicer to hide inside of your shell and feel safe, but it comes down to this, if you always stay inside of your shell, you are missing out a lot of things in life. Missing out all of these experiences that life has to offer you, turns you into a poor person in terms of the value that your life has had, when you are 80 and almost about to die you look back and think, what did i do with my life? If the answer is , just stay inside do nothing or, went out and had a great time, what life would you prefer to have had?

4. Abomb

Abomb New Member

do you sit at home and play computer games all day? wow?

5. Daria

Daria New Member

so staying inside automatically means that he's doing nothing? this person could be studying their ass off or pursuing hobbies. this may be something this person will be proud of when he's 80.

my advice is, if you feel there are worthwile things for you to do indoors, by all means do them. just balance out your life with a little bit of going out. try little things one step at a time, such as taking a short walk outside, going to see a movie once in awhile, even if it's by yourself.

through work and school, you will eventually be able to find people that are actually worthy of your friendship. perhaps you just haven't found the right people to be friends with (ex. interests, trust, personality, sense of humour, etc.)

6. hellagrant

hellagrant New Member

I know how you feel. Sometimes you are busy or tired but feel obligated when someone calls you. One trick is to do something with all your friends at the sametime, instead of doing something with Jon today and then doing something with Bill tomorrow. Just throw a party once in awhile and invite everyone. Get it all done at the same time.

7. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

Having friends "is" another job. You have to invest time, and energy. Whether you want to do that or not is up to you. There are a lot of isolated activities you can do outside too. Running, working out, hell I even sometimes take my guitar to the center of town and sit on a bench and play for people walking by.

You can do what you want to do, just figure out what you want first!