My Oh-So Generic Work-Out Routine... Input for Improvement?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by coronet, Jan 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coronet

coronet Do Andriods Dream of Electric Sheep?

My first goal is to get in shape, but my overall goal is to lose weight. I'm not specifically looking to lose x pounds in x months or anything like that, but I'd like to steadly be losing 2-3 pounds a week.

So far I haven't really thought about my routine. As it stands, I try to make it to the gym 5 times a week, don't lift (I want to get in shape foremost), and haven't consulted anyone on anything. But here's the breakdown:

25 minutes on the elipitical "weight loss" function, 115-130 strides/min
    25 minutes on treadmill... I keep improving, but as it stands I do 3-3.8 MPH with no incline.

The machinery is limited to 25 minutes, so I am unable to fully complete the preset programs at this time. My meal habit isn't really formatted, but I usually have 2-3 meals, mostly turkey or turkey and roast beef sandwiches. I have the occassional In n Out and I drink 2 cups of soda a day (so like, 30 oz given ice?).

I realize everyone is gonna hustle in here and bitch about eggs and soda and probably even my beloved roast beef. So I want to know what's good, what's bad, and what's ugly. I need to drop 2 pant sizes at least (42 dress pant, 40 jeans, want to be at least 38 jeans, although I figure I should just go for the full shebang at that rate) and 1 jacket size (48L, would like to at least fit into a lot of 46L I have, and I have one 44R I've never been able to fit into... also I don't want to lift just yet if muscles mean I can't wear jackets, or increase chest size).

So what's good, brolys?

EDIT -- I've also cut the fun stuff. I don't smoke (ocassional hookah), drink alcohol (personal bet, turn new year's resolution), or anything like that. I guess the most you could say is perhaps high calorie diet and caffeine (no coffee either... just soda)

EDIT II -- Also, will losing weight also make me drop a neck size? 17.5 is a hardish size to shop for, especailly in comparison to 17 and 16.5.

2. :|

:| Guest

you could probably cut out 200-300 calories just by switching to diet soda (if you're not drinking it already)

3. Tumbles

Tumbles New Member

lift

believe it or not, muscle wont make you fat

4. vtectyper

vtectyper New Member

Start lifting weights now, I dont get why you wouldnt start right away. Your not going to get huge while your losing weight. You should seriously cut out the soda if your really serious about it. Read the stickys theres alot of good info including a routine and what to eat

5. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

Don't worry too much about cutting fats out of your diet. Aim to cut out sugars (candy, coke, white breads to name a few) and replace those carbohydrates with fiber from vegetables and whole grains (so opt for a whole wheat bread sandwich instead of white, you know?)

Honestly losing weight has become too confusing for a lot of new guys, so I recommend to keep it pretty simple with the following:

Read the nutritional sticky, follow a lifting regiment in the routine sticky (or something similar), eat 5 or 6 smaller meals a day.

To lose weight it really comes down to this. If you think you're going to regret having eaten it later, then don't eat it. It's pretty much that simple.

Your appetite isn't going to know how good the meal tasted, just that you ate. And after 10 seconds a candy bar taste is gone. There's no real benefit to having eaten it besides that quick satisfaction.

Eat to live, don't live to eat.

nah mean jelly bean?

6. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

why would we bitch about eggs and roast beef? protien sources like that should be the cornerstone of your diet.

finding shirts to fit a big neck isn't hard...I have no prob finding stuff for my 18.5" neck...

starting lifting now...resistance excersice (lifting) is superior to cardio for long term weight managment...

7. ww_Crimson

ww_Crimson New Member

I found that as soon as I cut soda out of my diet, everything else started to improve as well. I drink maybe 2-3 cups of soda a week, where as before I was drinking 2-3 a day.

I'm very new to the gym myself but everything I've been told leads me to believe that lifting will help you lose weight as well.

8. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

9. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

Does not compute. Lifting weights before cardio will help you burn more fat than cardio alone.

10. Jimmycrackcorn

Jimmycrackcorn OT Supporter

well said. basically clean up your diet by eating less carbs (except good energy carbs around your workouts), keep good natural fats in your diet, consume lots of protein (1 to 1.5 grams per pound you weigh daily), and tons of green veggies. do some cardio (preferrably in the form of High Intensity Interval Training - or HIITs as they're called) after your weight lifting regimen. building "lean" muscle mass and doing cardio will increase your metabolism all day, every day, therefore allowing you to burn more calories and fat reserves during the day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.