MMA My North OC Jiu Jitsu adventure! This thread is two weeks late! *VERY LONG*

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by chechen, Sep 14, 2007.

1. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

Okay.. I'm sitting here fasting (shut up bit) and kinda bored. So I'll tell you about my recent training, and experience with jiu jitsu academy shopping.

background: I moved from west los angeles where I had been training for nearly five years to the city of Fullerton, CA. I needed to find a good place to train, so I decided to shop around.

The first place I checked out was Showtime Jiu Jitsu. I was actually planning to train at this place because I am a huge Javier Vazquez nuthugger. Unfortunately, when I went there he wasn't teaching, and the class was about 95% white belts. The purple belt there teaching is known on the tournaments scene here, and is excellent. Basically, I found there are a handful of awesome guys, and then the rest of the people there aren't such great training. So I'd be paying to train with maybe four or five guys basically. This did not rub me the right way.

The second place I went to was tinguinha jiu jitsu. Tinguinha is an old gracie barra black belt that had a falling out with them. I'm not totally sure why. I thought I was going to get my butt kicked here because gracie barra guys are all fancy and complicated with the gi, but I actually did very well. The only person who gave me a hard time was this huge 230 pound purple belt, who just layed on me forever. Tinguinha was very nice, and I kept this school in mind.

The third place I went to was Rodrigo Teixeira Jiu Jitsu. This academy was in a korean office building and I was surprised at how small it was.. I mean the roof was so low, if you judo threw somebody their feet would probably hit ceiling! Obviously it was not equipped to be a jiu jitsu academy, but I'm sure the rent is cheap. Anyway, I found out I came at an open mat. Apparently Rodrigo only teaches like three times a week or something. But he was a really cool guy, and let me train without a waiver. I trained with some fat mexican guys doing no gi. One of them was a nice guy, but the other one got all bitter when I tapped him out from the guard saying "I wish I could punch like I usually do :o" Which I thought was a pretty gay thing to say.

In any case, those guys left, and some black belts came in and started training. Everyone there was speaking Portuguese, and I was kinda sitting there with a confused look on my face. Apparently these black belts were still there from the worlds. I ended up sparring with this tiny black belt, and man, I have not been tooled that bad in a while. Later, I find out he got third in super feather in the tournament. He was watching my game when I was sparring with the mexican dudes, and noticed I like to play a butterfly guard off my back. So he kept passing standing, and he was doing this SOOO smooth.. I was extremely impressed. I actually started considering this place despite the small size. Unfortunately I learned these black belts are going back to Brazil. :hs:

Lastly, I visited the Newbreed Academy. This academy actually has a number of black belts teaching, and is now associated with Brasa. If you are unfamiliar with Brasa this is a mega team in Brazil that houses Leo Vieira, Andre Galvao, Rodrigo Comprido, and more. The owners of this academy are Johny Ramirez and John Ouano.

Johny is a perfect example of someone who is not necessarily the most amazing competitor, but he is a GREAT instructor and really pushes everybody. Ouano is the more relaxed one, and is so nice he makes ME feel like the jerk, which is the first time I felt that way when dealing with a jiu jitsu instructor :rofl:

There were some things that really made me impressed with this academy. The first is the seriousness of most of the students. There is a less recreational feel, and most people at Newbreed are there to become competitive in some way. Secondly, they train takedowns EVERY DAY. This blew me away. Every student there knows how to shoot a double, take penetration steps, sprawl, etc. Sometimes I almost feel like we overtrain the takedowns. Third is that they will often have two classes in a row, and people will stay for both, making it four hours of training.

The first night I came in fact, I trained for about four hours, and then did half an hour of an intense cardio with Johny. I never saw a jiu jitsu academy where they trained so hard that way.

The advanced class is taught by a Brasa black belt named Marcel Louzado. I felt that Johny and John Ouano must be very humble to let a black belt from another team teach their all their advanced classes.

Marcel has definitely proven himself in a number of tournaments, however can barely speak any english. Often times the students kind of look at eachother with these :confused: kinda faces.. However, the techniques he shows are definitely my kind of thing.

If you can't tell by now.. I chose to go with newbreed. It has much less of a martial artsy feel to it, and all the instructors are extremely open and genuinely help me. This seems like such a given, but really it isnt. When dealing with other instructors I have always felt as if I was bothering them by asking a lot of questions.. but last night I asked Marcel about his half guard game, and then we got to practice and drill it back and forth without him trying to squash me. I find this extremely valuable. The teachers there really make themselves students, and often participate in the same classes that theyre teaching. So far, I am very happy with the choice I made.

And yes Sammo.. I got to train with Andre Galvao at the END of a four hour session. Needless to say, I couldn't last very long with him. I always wanted to train with the guy, but I was going to pass out from exhaustion. However, the thing I can say about him is this: He has the most loose jiu jitsu I've ever experienced. I mean we were going no gi, and the guy always felt about 10 feet away from me. He just watches you move, and then casually kind of moves around you.. its pretty bizarre. I managed to sweep him once, and as you can imagine, he owned me right after that. The guy really plays around when he trains, and tries weird things. He doesn't try to prove his awesomeness to you like many other black belts. He just kinda toys with you and has a smile on his face the whole time.

This is the one picture I have, sorry..

[​IMG]

anyway, that is all! I hope someone bothers reading this :x:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2007
  2. Optamix

Optamix New Member

3. chechen

yeah.. im going to take it a little easier during the next month. I already explained johny my situation so he wouldnt think I'm just wussing out. It's actually convenient that I'm worn out, because I'm going to take the first week of ramadan off from training.

thanks for the support mr drag on :naughty:

4. chechen

haha youre skinnier than me fool

5. Optamix

Optamix New Member

after ramadan you will be skinnier than me.

6. ZZex

ZZex New Member

very nice read. But yeah, I've been recommended to go to the Newbreed near my place compared to the Gracie Barra. Gracie Barra is about $80/month cheaper. I've noticed the Newbreed in Chicago has won quite a few NAGA tourneys. I've seen their youtube and the collection of students seem like something that would fit me too (They are young, 20's). The one at Gracie Barra, everyone had to be in their 30's. I saw a dude in his 40. I had to take him down and that took a bit. Good thing it wasn't absolute.

But yeah, I think you made a good choice. :hs:

7. miek

miek New Member

:coold: Cool write-up.

Question though, is ramadan a fast for the whole month? What are you allowed to ingest?

8. miek

miek New Member

[​IMG]

9. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

[​IMG]

10. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

Cool thread.

There aren't really many choices around here. I train under 2 browns who both are very involved in the classes like you're talking about at your new school. It's a good thing to have teachers who are there to learn and are willign to share and help you personally.

11. chechen

you cannot ingest anything from the time the sun goes up until the time it sets.. so no food or drink. you do this every day for a month. today will be the hardest day because the sun is going to set a little earlier each day.

12. chechen

yeah southern california is crazy that way.. jiu jitsu schools everywhere. I Heard it has the highest saturation of academies outside of brazil. This kind of scares me though, because if i ever want to teach someday I'm probably going to have to move somewhere far away :hs:

13. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

:wtc:
    I miss new breed. Being that it was my first jits school, I had no idea how good I had it. Excellent write up of all the schools, with your level of experience in the game it really opens my eyes about some things I may not notice or appreciate.

I wish you had went out to Franco de carmoga's (sp?) school on Chapman in orange, I'd like to hear your opinion of it.

wow 4 bjj black belts are now there, I left before Marcel got involved. What I like about the schedule is that the beginner class is before the advanced so it serves like a nice warmup to all the rolling that is done in the next class.
    Wander braga is backwards, so I'm exhausted after getting my ass kicked in the advanced class since I'm one of only 2 whites that show up to that class and he outweighs me by about 100lbs.

Again, glad you found a camp you like.

14. Ricey McRicerton

How is pricing out that way if you don't mind me asking? The damn NYC thread of 200-250 dollar prices makes me really really happy to be paying what I am.

15. chechen

100 dollars a month at newbreed with a contract. very reasonable for all the classes they offer.

16. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

Sounds cool, good that you found a school that suits you well. I love the place I am at, I couldnt really ever see myself at some other place (not that I really have a choice)

17. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

Good write up and glad you found a gym you like it makes so much difference.

how does the ramadan thing effect your training energy levels?

18. Ricey McRicerton

Seeing as not having dinner before class or lifting absolutely kills me and makes me feel like a slug, I'd imagine it's not easy.

19. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

Johny travels to chicago pretty often so you'll get some nice guest instruction at new breed. And this purple belt Valerie that trains at the Chicago camp has some smooth jits, she visited the socal school for a month.

20. chechen

another testament to how chilled out they are is the wallpaper on the academy computer

"I train jiu jitsu so i can rape men"

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

21. Titus

Titus New Member

Nice write up. Damn man, I respect you a whole lot to be so dedicated to both your beliefs and to bjj. That's not something you see too much..

22. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

My instructor was talking about making new class shirts with this on the back :mamoru:

[​IMG]

23. chechen

It's different every year because its according to a lunar calendar.. so this year is the latest I can ever remember it being. Usually I remember ramadan being around winter time, so I'd break my fast much earlier.

in the past, the latest I'd break my fast was about 15 minutes before I train, and I've felt like I had a lot more energy actually. Maybe all the food I normally eat during the day slows me down in a sense.

24. chechen

Yeah, she's training with us right now. I've known her from before, she has been around since forever. She's one of the few women I know who I don't think has sloppy jiu jitsu.

25. chechen

glad you enjoyed it :) I didn't figure anyone would read it. but I guess I'm too used to the main forum.. haha