my next bike will be a dirt bike with street tires.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Ghost Load, Oct 2, 2004.

1. Ghost Load

Ghost Load i'll see your kidcarson and geekboy and raise you OT Supporter

carrying everything in a backpack will suck. but mad grip has its toll. plus it's kind of anti-social, until everybody has one.

2. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

:ugh: It's called a motard.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It's already starting to become bandwagon.

3. mnewell

mnewell Lucy.

:werd:

But it's still pretty damn cool... It would be cool to have one for city bombing. Either that or that Yamaha Tricker. :bigthumb:

4. Ghost Load

Ghost Load i'll see your kidcarson and geekboy and raise you OT Supporter

not around here.
    and i've heard the term.

5. DJMunich

DJMunich American Eurotrash

:werd:

You see 'em in the Malibu Hills every now and then. Pretty cool imo...

6. RaBicaN

RaBicaN New Member

7. AMan

AMan ???????????

8. Rocky

Rocky Guest

those are trials bikes. You can get them in the us. Making them street legal is another thing.

I'd love to put some street meats on my yzf426. I think KTM sells a bike brand new with the motard kit. I believe it's the 525, and it's a bad motherfucker.

Motard is a term for a type of racing that is half dirt half pavement. It's big in europe and gaining pop here too.
    Motard bikes are simply 4 stroke dirtbikes like the crf450, ktm525 and yzf450 with street tires, smaller rims, lowered suspension and beefy brakes. And they are definitely unique, badass, and awsome motorcycles to ride on the street.

9. denroll

denroll Guest

I'm glad to see that the motard concept is catching on. I've owned one for almost a year and have loved every bit of it. It's quite simply the most fun you can have on two wheels. I used to ride a 1000cc V-twin on the street until I rode a friend's motard. I bought a DR-Z400 shortly thereafter and converted it over myself. As long as you don't care about super-high speeds on the highway, it's a great way to get around. It'll bust wheelies and crank stoppies like nobody's business; shreds heavy traffic; curbs aren't a problem; stairs (not kidding); fields, twisty roads, etc. Go-kart tracks sometimes open up to bikes and that's where motards really shine.

My 'tard:

[​IMG]

Massive brake:

[​IMG]

Vs. stock:

[​IMG]

Ready for dirt action in less than an hour:

[​IMG]

10. HMan

HMan grossly deformed

Those aren't trials bikes. Trials bikes have no seats and a different chassis design. Plus very tiny two stroke motors.

Anyway, Motards got their start in the U.S. Lost steam and then Europe picked up on it. Now its starting to get big in the U.S. again. VERY capable machines that can often leave more "potent" bikes behind on really curvy stretches such as the Gap.

11. denroll

denroll Guest

Oh, I went and test rode one of those Trickers. You'd think for having a 250cc thumper in a package that light would be fun. Those damn bikes are slower than your grandparents fucking. I barely got 65mph out of the thing and it wouldn't even power-wheelie in 1st gear. My 400cc DRZ (in a higher state of tune) felt like a damn GP bike after I got back on it.

And yes, motards are quite capable of smoking the big bikes in the tight, twisty stuff.