GUN My newest addition....pics

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by amill94, Feb 19, 2007.

1. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

This was my grandfather's that he used for hunting for many years. I'm not sure of the actuall date of production but I'm guessing late 50's early 60's from other serial numbers that were dated on the web. Anyway, it's an Ithaca Model 37 Featherlight. I think it's in great shape for it's age compared to others I see at shows that are rusted, or have many blemishes along with crappy stocks. What do you guys think? I'm going to take the gun out sometime this week to the range to try it out. The only thing I added was the recoil pad..just yesterday.

**Edit- I just called Ithaca and was told it was made in 1957. Retail was $58 or so according to the rep.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a shot of it with the rest of my starting collection.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2007
  2. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

Does it slamfire or was that only their trench guns?

3. net_prophet

net_prophet Tactical Texan

I've got the Iver-Johnson shotgun my grandpa bought when he was 13. It's really great to think he shot it, my father shot it, I shoot it, and one day if I have a child hey will shot it.

4. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

I have no idea what that means...I haven't shot it yet. I took it apart today to clean it. I also removed the 3-shot plug so I can load it with 5rds.

5. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

Remove all ammo from the gun, clear the weapon, take the weapon off safe, pull trigger, cycle action, hold trigger down, cycle action again and see if the hammer falls. If it falls, it's a slamfiring shotgun, meaning it fires every time the action is pumped.

6. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

The hammer does fall following your directions. I assume this means that if I load 5 shells in the gun and pull the trigger once, I can then hold the trigger and each time I cycle the action, the gun will fire?

Thats pretty cool, but seems like it could be dangerous to some.

Another stupid question. When I was reassembling the gun, I inserted the barrel into the receiver. It said to have the barrel lug to the left and then turn the barel a 1/4 turn counter clockwise. I followed the directions, but if I turn it counter clockwise the barell turns 3/4 of a turn, vs a 1/4 turn. If I turn it a 1/4 turn to align it with the magazine cap, it turns clockwise. Anyway, I'm just worried about the security of the barrel. It won't blow off or anything right? The barell is all the way in the receiver, so it's fitted right. I just never took a shotgun apart before, so I'm kinda paranoid.

7. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

Mainly the things at the other end of it.

8. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

My dad has a model 12 Winchester that can slam fire. It's a pretty cool feature.