My new truck's first wash and product review.

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by le_rocks, Sep 25, 2006.

1. le_rocks

le_rocks New Member

So after reading Scottwax's Edu, I decided to try it out. This truck is only 4 weeks old and just got back from a road trip from Houston, Tx to Denver, CO and back. So there were weeks of caked on mud and bug guts. Then on a trip to IKEA I saw a puddle that I wanted to hit, which ended up being some kind of really dirty water. This is all that I purchased.
    [​IMG]
    Optinum No Rinse Wash
    Optinum Wax
    Optinum Protectant (like Armor-all)
    Some wheel cleaner
    A scrubby sponge thingie
    3 microfiber towels

And here's the new dirty truck:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Up close of the wierd water stuff that dried on the truck after the puddle.
    [​IMG]

and after following Scottwax's instructions and 3.5 hours later (didn't realize what a big truck i bought :mamoru:) here's the finished product.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All in all, i'm happy with it. The bug guts required a lot of elbow grease. The front bumper had to be gone over like 4 times and you can still see some bug guts on there still. Oh well. I'll get them next time. :o

2. n2_space

n2_space Space > *.*

:cool:

Be careful about bugs, especially on black (as you will notice it more), and get them off now, leaving them will just let their guts etch the paint, and it will eventually look like your front is splattered with bugs all the time.

3. le_rocks

le_rocks New Member

Darn, my arm is tired as hell. Maybe i'll hit it up again tomorrow. :o

4. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

I even use a mild APC to get them off before polishing and waxing. Megs APC dissolves them so easy. You do want to get them off or it will take alot longer later.....alot.

Tell us what you think about using ONR.....

5. le_rocks

le_rocks New Member

The ONR was actually pretty cool. I know it said to just use it, but I pre-rinsed the truck first because I got scared I would just rub the dirt into the truck. I did what they said, wash then dry with microfiber towel. It was cool seeing each single body panel get clean as I was washing and drying it. It only took two gallons of water, but I used three caps instead of two like the instruction said. Figure it needed it, it was pretty dirty.

What's APC? I guess I need that to get the bugs out.

6. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Very nice! Probably a good idea to pre-rinse if your truck is really dirty, but 99% of the time, you can just jump right in with ONR. You will also be able to wash it more quickly after you use ONR a few times.

Now that you have the basics of a quick exterior detail down, time to invest in a PC, pads and polish so you can give it a deep cleaning a couple times a year. ;)

7. le_rocks

le_rocks New Member

Yea Toyota gave me this extra sealant wax-ie thingie to use. I have to use it on the truck twice a year to keep my exterior paint warranty. Ever heard of it? I used the Optinum Wax spray, no big deal really in my opinion.