My New Truck

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by andynotandy, Sep 23, 2001.

1. andynotandy

andynotandy Guest

Alright, my grandfather is giving me his 1997 1500 Silverado, i am not sure if thats it, but it has the 1500 written on the side, well, its an emblem, and a silverado emblem under the extended cab window. It already has black running boards, i am not sure what engine it has, but i really like the truck. Its blue, maybe i am going to get it painted maybe not. Does anyone know where i can get an air tight cover for the Bed? i want to put like four 12's back there and some neon lights and stuff, but i am not sure where to start. I do not want to lift it, i think thats gay, and i am not sure about dropping it, thats kind of gay too cause i do not want to buy new tires and wheels cause my grandpa just bought new tires, so any other ideas? Let me know, thanks

2. andynotandy

andynotandy Guest

the extended cab windows are tinted almost limo too, but not the front two, just to let you know

3. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

do you plan to put subs in teh bed or behind teh seats cause if its in the bed you will be verry disapointed unless you do major mods to port teh subs to the cab and a soft cover wont cut it with subs under there

4. andynotandy

andynotandy Guest

well i could put them under the seats but i was hoping to throw them back there and get the same result of two inside of the truck, you know what i mean?

5. Wolvrin704

Wolvrin704 Guest

I've gotta agree with frog. Unless you port them into the cab the results will be very disappointing. You might consider putting the subs in the cab and the amps in the bed, but you will need an airtight fiberglass toneau cover. A soft cover will leave you wide open to thieves plus the fiberglass cover looks good and adds value to the truck.

As for your engine if its a V8 you probably have the 5.7 350.

Do a little research on your truck and buy a Haynes manual to give you more info on your vehicle. Thats the 1st thing I buy after buying a car or truck.

6. andynotandy

andynotandy Guest

yeah i think you or someone else told me to buy one of those for my buddy's truck, and i think i am going to go out tonight or tomorrow and get me one. Do they have them at Murrays? I see a lot of big ole books that have one specific model of car on them. Thanks for the info, i think i am going to put two subs under the bench seat in the back, i hope they will fit, but then i have to find somewhere to mount the amps and all that other shit, where could i find a fiberglass cover and how much do they go for? Thanks a lot for the help

7. nissanpower

nissanpower I :heart: PeyPey

It's gay to lift it, gay to drop it, but neon in the bed isn't gay?? I don't get it.....

8. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

hell if its extende cab rip out the seats and put a wall in there back seats suck in trucks anyway

and 4 in the bed wont even come close to 2 in the cab

use the bed to haul stuff use teh back foir the stereo

9. andynotandy

andynotandy Guest

yeah i am thinking taking out the back seat and putting 2 12's back there, but i want a good good brand, and a real good head unit, any suggestions or sites? I heard you cannot drop it because of the 4wd, is this true?

10. Wolvrin704

Wolvrin704 Guest

They should have that book at any kind of auto parts store. As for the cover I got mine at a 4x4 offroad shop, it was the cheapest place I could find one. Another place to try is places that sell campers. There are 2 types of fiberglass covers; ones that fit on top of the bed rails which is what I have, or the type that sits inside the rails for a flush look. I believe the most well known brand for the flush look is called Snug something. Look in the yellow pages under tonneau covers, thats what I did and I called every place listed to find the cheapest I could get.

11. andynotandy

andynotandy Guest

alright how much did you pay for yours?

12. Wolvrin704

Wolvrin704 Guest

I bought mine about 3 years ago, the company name is Patriot. If I remember right it was $650. Most places I called were in the $700-800 range.

13. andynotandy

andynotandy Guest

well i saw one today on a Dakota, it did not look really even, it kind of slid off of the back of the truck, i want one that sites very flush with the rest of the bed, and i would be willing to pay 700 for it

14. Wolvrin704

Wolvrin704 Guest