A&P My New Toy

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by TheEvil1, Feb 14, 2005.

1. TheEvil1

TheEvil1 Hell is other people OT Supporter

2. hash browns

hash browns lolcathlon champion OT Supporter

3. TheEvil1

yep

got the cam w/ 150mm lens, that tripod w/ head. camera case and 8 4x5 negative holders for 750$

Last edited: Feb 14, 2005
  4. hash browns

hash browns lolcathlon champion OT Supporter

The tripod looks a little light for a large format camera :mamoru:

Have fun :bigthumb:

5. mojito

mojito New Member

good start, still need a good 4x loupe, dark cloth, polaroid back, cable release, hend held level, tape measure (for bellows extension compensation), incident light meter etc

What's are you going to use it for?

6. TheEvil1

i have a dark cloth, there is a level on the camera itself, i think i have 3 cable releases now, tape isnt absoutly necciary, i use a reflected light meter Sekonic spot meter

poloroid back isnt needed, and i can focus it without a loupe, tho ill prob get one anyway

and the tripod is fine for the camera, its a freeking tank, Its a Bogden/Manfrotto 3233 with a bogden 3030 pan/tilt head

7. mojito

mojito New Member

you'll want a loupe, no sense in getting a large format if it isn't going to be tact sharp. If nothing else it helps to really see the ground glass in brighter enviornments.

Polaroid backs are pretty handy, especially if you're not sure of your exposure. If you're with in 48" of your subject (with the 150mm lens) you'll need bellows compensation, if you're doing extreme swings of tilts or anything you may run into fall off, or if you want to see how big of a difference there is in tonal ranges to see what'll show up on the film, polaroids are a great tool.

You'll eventually want a changing bag for the film, that way you're never screwed in the field needing more film or a differnt type.

If you get a polaroid back, you can get quick loads, so you won't ever need the film backs. You pay a little more, but it saves a lot of time.

FYI, film backs are very sensative to heat. Especially color film inside. Its very easy to fog the film just from setting the film back on the ground for 15 minutes. Also make sure the film back is in securely, very easy to fog the film that way too

The handheld level is more cor correcting distortion from yaw. The front and rear standards can become off from extreme movements.