GUN My new house

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by kutkota, Jul 11, 2006.

1. kutkota

kutkota New Member

So here is the story,

recently got married well oct of 05, wife and I bought a nice duplex in a nicer area of town, however it is unincorporated, meaning little to no city funding, meaning no street lights no curbs that kind of thing. we moved in january of 06 in march I was at work late didn't get home till around midnight or so. My wife was staying at her parents house because her dad just had surgery. She drove home at around 2 because I hadn't called her to let her know that i got home ok. I got up after she left let the dogs out but forget to lock the doors. Not even 15 minutes later i heard my screen door open and my storm door open. My two dogs went crazy barking and growling. I thought it was my wife so i called out and who ever it was threw both the doors open and took off. Called the wife wasn't her, so i called the cops they came checked everything out nothing was missing so just left it at that.
    few nights ago got out of the shower at around 1130 walked around the corner and there was someone standing on my porch which is raised off the ground looking in through the window. I ran and grabbed my AR and took off after him. never cought him.

flagged down a cop couple of days ago to ask what the law states, and he said you have every right to defend you and your family if you feel that there is any threat to you or your family. which after all of this you can be damned sure that i will be shooting warning shoots and then to kill.

If your still reading this this is the part that is the scariest to me. The first time I was driving my wifes car and the second time we had the other car parked some ways away do to a part the neighbors were having. I feel like someone is watching the house and knows when my wife should be home alone. What would you guys suggest, outside of the basic, motion lights and locking the doors and stuff. The wife is very anti gun and really doesn't want to learn to shoot.

2. Bdog

Bdog ...but do I really care?

Where do you live, lots of crime? Sounds like you need to put up a fence and security system and have plenty of lights around the house. I don't think giving you wife a gun is the answer if shes afraid of them now, it may scare someone away, but if they challanger her, she may be in trouble.

3. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

Find a new wife.

.. couldn't resist. Is her fear worth her life? Get her a weapon and train her on it, and don't give a damn whether she likes it or not. She doesn't have to like it, she just has to stay alive with it.

4. kutkota

kutkota New Member

Yeah yeah yeah , working on the gun part not the new wife part. She said that she would go to the range with me so she is starting to lean more towards the gun for protection.

And the area that we live in is nice neighborhood just dark at night, neighbors said that there is no more crime in this neighborhood, there anywhere else.

5. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Don't shoot warning shots, they are a waste of time and mean you are shooting rounds where you are not sure they are going.

Shoot to stop the threat.
    As I used to teach my students, if you feel the need to shoot warning shots, Yell out "Stop, I have a gun!" then shoot the bastard til he's no longer a threat. THEN you can shoot all the warning shots you want. No one is going to be able to tell which rounds were shot first, those in his body, or those in the ceiling

6. kutkota

kutkota New Member

very good points. I am in the process of finding some sort or schooling to go to for defensive type of situations. any good schools that you know of in missouri

7. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Don't know any personally but others may.
    I hit google and found a couple

Chapman Academy of Practical Shooting
    4350 Academy Road
    Hallsville, MO 65255-9707
    800-847-0588
    573-696-5544
    FAX: 573-696-2266
    http://www.chapmanacademy.com
    John Skaggs, Director

[SIZE=4][SIZE=4][SIZE=4][SIZE=4][SIZE=4][SIZE=4][SIZE=4][SIZE=4][SIZE=4]Point Blank
    Greenway Plaza
    Greenway Drive
    Suite B2
    Jackson, MO 63755
    [URL="http://www.pointblanktraining.net/"][SIZE=4]http://www.pointblanktraining.net[/SIZE][/URL][SIZE=4]
    573-243-GUNS[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][SIZE=4][SIZE=4][SIZE=4][SIZE=4][SIZE=4][SIZE=4][SIZE=4][SIZE=4][SIZE=4]
    [/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

8. kutkota

kutkota New Member

pics of said gun and dogs

9. kutkota

kutkota New Member

10. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

The dog on the left looks fierce.:noes: Ever thought about something besides an AR for home defense?

11. kutkota

kutkota New Member

Yeah I have just don't have the money to buy anything else right now. the dog on the left is the wifes' but is a good noise maker. neither is good for anything other than barking.

12. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

That's all that's needed, we've got a losa opso (sp?) and a sharpei. Both are pussies, but at least the sharpei has a big bark. And an AR is better than nothing, just curious.

13. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

Where at in missouri? Is it one of the metro areas? It seems like house/home invasion isn't too common in most of rural missouri, for the strict reason, that it'll prolly get you shot. Good hunting.

14. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington nunc fortunatus sum

Go to a Home Depot or Lowes and install some flood lights with photosensors. I did this over my walk-in basement door and it works great, cost maybe $25. At dusk they go on and stay on until sunrise. I would recommend something similar around your entrances and yard.

15. jtl090179

jtl090179 Oh I get it, yeah. He's the girl, then you're the OT Supporter

i say hit em with some motion detecting flood lights, a home security alarm and a good fence. if they still get through that then i guess that they deserve what theyre looking for

16. Want2race

Want2race Fearless

having lived in a hella high crime area (south africa) I would say get motion activated flood lights, It keeps makes people realize they wont hide very well.

And if you want Ill make you some decals that say "Protected by Smith and Wesson" to put on your windows.

Honestly the dogs should make enough noise but if your paranoid get an alarm system and glass contact sensors. The other option is perimiter motion detectors- They basically have 2 eyes, one sending and one receiving, If they get disturbed they alert you inside! Really cool and can be hidden well

17. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Sounds like you need to get rid of those sissy dogs and get a Tonka:

[​IMG]

18. Want2race

Want2race Fearless