My new computer build from Newegg v. feedback

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Strife, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Strife

Strife Active Member

We'll im planning on building a new computer over Christmas break and have been doing some research the past week. This is what I have come up with, I would like feedback please :x:. I was trying to stay around $1000 and this current build is at $1210.93, so no crazy get this $400 dollar item instead of the $200 one I have now.

Case: APEVIA (ASPIRE) X-Navigator ATXA8NW-AL/500 Silver/Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply
    http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16811144089

Processor:
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 Conroe 2.13GHz 2M sharing L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail
    http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16819115004

MOBO: ASUS P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP Socket T (LGA 775) Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
    http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813131028

Memory: 2x Kingston 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) System Memory
    http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820134045

Video Card: SAPPHIRE 100189L Radeon X1900GT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 VIVO PCI Express x16 VIVO HDCP Video Card - Retail
    http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16814102022

Hard drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (Perpendicular Recording) ST3500630AS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
    Free hard drive or Notebook hard drive w/combo ends 12/11
    (Comes with a free 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0 Drive also!! Awesome Deal, 750GB for 209.99)
    http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16822148136

CD/DVD Drive: SAMSUNG Black 18X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 18X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2M Cache IDE DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write, LightScribe Technology - OEM http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16827151136

I'm just going to use the onboard soundcard to save some money, and I heard the Asus onboard sound isn't that bad. The case already has 1x 120mm fan and 4x 80mm fans and runs cool from the reviews, so I don't think I'll need more fans since I'm not running dual video cards or 10000 RPM harddrives. The only thing I was debating on was a new power supply, I've heard mixed reviews on the 500W one that comes with my case, but I'd like to save the extra $100 dollars if I can.

What is everyone's view on the artic silver 5 compound? This is my first computer I'm building from scratch, would I need to buy some of that for my processor?

Also for a RAID setup, I know that usually you want matching size/speed harddrives. Because I'm getting that 250GB one for free, would it be smart to RAID the 250 and 500GB ones with same speed specifications? Would it reduce the size of both to 250GB for the raid, but could I still use the other 250GB for storage? I'm new to RAID setups.

Thanks for the feedback in advance.

2. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Personally i think its a great setup for you, the rest is more of a debate of preferences, for instance http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811129155 the black piano sonata came with a pretty decent power supply , i can tell you i doubted SO MUCH on what case to take, im not saying to switch, but it had what it took to even power my http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/ViewImage.aspx?ProductID=2284 geforce 9750 which needs dual power supply support,

When i look at your harddisk combo i (personally) would have preferred if you got a 10 000 rpm Raptor western digital harddisk (although they are expensive) they are well worth your money, thing is for instance if your gaming , you want your game to quickly run, but if the disks goes at 7200 rpm your definitly in for the wait , but it isn't bad for backup purposes, so a combo of a raptor for your system use, and a seagate for a large amount of all the crap you want to store would have my preference.

In terms of the video cards, there's always a run up and fan club of Nvidia as opposed to Ati , im personally more into Nvidia,although others swear at Ati, personally i also like a intel processor on an intel motherboard for compatiblities sake, although many would disagree, its more like the idea of getting a sony video with a sony t.v , making it one brand instead of for instance a samsung with sony combination.

you can find a bunch of reviews on that artic cooling http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustratingReview.asp?item=N82E16835100007 most people seemed to be satisfied. You just have to 'very carefully' apply it as when that stuff comes on your motherboard it can short circuit because its conductive. So watch out if your planning to apply it.

In terms of kingston memory, personally i would have gone for corsair.

Overall i think you have made a reasonable economical setup. But you have to watch out that being cheap on items won't bite you back in the ass. Especially in terms of harddisks, fast operations for everything you do are neccessary. The extra fans in your case are nice, but to be honest the fans supplied with my dual core conroe extreme x6800 2,93 does the trick in cooling down the processor,along with the fans that are supplied with the black Piano Sonata 2 that i have.You see the thing that everyone always go crazy over with those high temperatures are for people who overclock their systems, so if your not planning on overclocking your system , you really can be sufficient with the fans that are supplied with the case, the only thing that can get really hot is my raptor harddisk, to be honest a cooling solution for harddisks seems to become more and more a necessity, however most of the cases i know of don't supply such a thing standard with their shipment. There doesn't seem to be 'any' case without flaws, however i personally took the black piano, and i personally can testify that it worked just nicely for me. At one point i just had to say, screw it with all the drawbacks that people are writing down and bought it. And so far im not dissapointed in the least bit.

I cant say much about the raid, because although mines supports it, i currently only have one raptor harddisk so no raid,but i've heard its possible to go that way tho in terms of unequal harddisks, although equal seems to have the preference.

So in the end i would only press on getting a raptor, yes you would bleed in terms of money, but because your constantly using your computer it would be benefitial to your every day use to operate at a quicker speed, then to go cheap and be frustrated with low speeds. I have a raptor and would issue twice as much money to enjoy its speed if i had to , just in terms of how to show how satisfied i am with its performance. That thing is worth every penny you spend on it. So basically just see this as a side-line review. Because i don't want to change your mind, in the end its your hard earned money which you have to spend. But if you say , im using it every day, then i personally wouldn't go cheap on myself.

3. Create

Create :free at last:

The Asus P5B supports DDR 800. There is absolutely no reason to run slower. You've also picked out a single stick for your memory. That means you're going to run half speed on the bus. You need this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145566 IMO you're a bit light on memory to start. If you reduce to 667 and run only half the bus you'll be shooting yourself in the foot.

Generic PSU's will fuck you in the long run. Replace it.

Artic Silver ftmfw.

I have no idea how Dark can use so much text and still fail to include obvious design flaws.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2006
  4. negative zero

negative zero New Member

One thing I noticed is that you have the wifi version of the mobo. Do you really plan on using it? If not you could get the non-wifi version and save some $$$.
    Also, using some AS5 is recommended. Newegg prices were a little higher (becuase of the outrageous shipping) than svc.com when I bought it. SVC had it for a dollar more but free shipping.

5. Strife

Strife Active Member

Thanks for the feedback~

Ok so I added the Arctic Silver, just need to make sure I read the directions on the website before, I'm planning on overclocking a bit so I think it'll be helpful.

For the motherboard, I was looking at both Intel and Asus and overall for the price and what you get the Asus seemed the best. Most of the reviews are pretty solid and although some reported they got a dead MOBO, over it seems the best in terms of reliability and overclocking.

The ram was on Asus' suggested list for 667 as well, which is what the reviews were saying to look out for. I know my board can take DDR2 800 as well, but for the price for DDR2 667 seemed good and I heard with 2 gigs of DDR2 667 it'll be great for basically anything I'm looking to do. I'm not doing any crazy video editing or anything that takes huge huge resources, just normal programs and games. I realize the kingston I posted is just one stick of 1GB ram, I'm getting 2 of them, that will work still right...

For hardrive, will the 10000 raptor be alot more noticable than 7200 in RAID?
    Like I said I'm trying to save money atm and if I won't notice much more with the raptor compared to RAID, I would rather wait on it. I can always add a 10000 later when more options are out there and prices drop a bit.

For PSU I guess I'll get a good quality 550-600W. It'd probably be best so I don't end up frying all my other parts if something did go wrong. I'll look around and post one.

Finally for the case I think I'll keep the one I'm getting. It looks nice, had great reviews, and for some reason I'd feel better with all the fans since I'll be overclocking some.

Thanks again, anymore feedback is welcome.

I found this ram, still DDR2 667 from OCZ as well, its a very good price, 220 before rebate, 190 after. It wasn't on Asus' suggested list but alot of reviews said they used it fine in a asus p5b board.
    http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820227118
    Should I go with this or 2 orders of the 1gb kingston?

Here is the power supply I found, matches my case, 580W, and a really good price, good reviews.
    http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16817152022

6. Create

np.

Overclock or not, this stuff is great. Messing around, I'd run a celeron without a fan and just a huge sculpted mass of AS.

If you plan on overclocking *at all*, then do not buy the Intel. While Intel boards are the most stable on the market, you cannot overclock.

We're talking about a few bucks for a very significant upgrade. There is no reason *not* to pick up DDR2 800 instead.

You'll get better performance out of a single WD Raptor than two 7200's in RAID 1. Raptor first, then if you really want to fly setup RAID 1 on a pair of Raptors.

If your aim is to save money, don't bother with either. If an extra $40 is too much to by the correct RAM speed, why bother adressing a much more expensive upgrade with lessor performace results?

OCZ or Antec.

Now you're suggesting subpar speed with incompatible timings? Big mistake.

You're going cheap on the one part that can destory the rest of the system.

7. negative zero

negative zero New Member

From memory I think I have heard not so good about Raidmax but I'll search around and confirm. I can't really recommend an inexpensive replacement though. I went with the corsair 620 watt for ~160. They do have a 520watt for ~110 iirc.

8. Strife

Strife Active Member

Okay so that power supply isn't good either,
    I'll go with this if that other one has problems:
    OCZ GameXStream OCZ600GXSSLI ATX12V 600W Power Supply 100 - 240 V CB/CE/CSA/UL/FCC - Retail
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817341001

I'll hold of on the raptor for now, may go with the 7200s in raid then if theirs no negative to the 250 and 500GB from seagate besides a loss in space? or just stick to seperate Harddrives with 7200s?

Finally this is the suggested 800 ram for Asus, I would get 2 of these so 2x $155.
    CORSAIR XMS2 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory - Retail
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145588

This will be a huge jump performance wise over the suggested 667 then? I'm taking a $90 hit buying this since the kingston is 2x $110.

The power supply will raise my initial estimate about $100, if I get that ram also thats close to $200 more, so roughly $1400 total.

So i'm pretty much solid on everything but the ram, I'll spend the extra $90 over the kingston if it will make a huge difference when running games. I mainly play FPS like half-life 2, CSS, battlefield. I also want to play oblivion once I upgrade, and I play MMORPG's although non currently. Waiting for vanguard if its good. In terms of other programs, mainly things like photoshop, microsoft applications, and normal run-of-the-day things... firefox, AIM, irc, etc.

Thanks again

Edit: I did some more digging and I could get a 74GB raptor for $160 and a Western Digital 250GB 7200 sata 3.0 16MB cache for $75 and it will come out to roughly the same as the combo I have now at $210. I'd be taking a 425GB hit in terms of space, but I'll still have my old desktop for storage that I'll be keeping active, plus the 100 gigs in my laptop. I wouldn't have RAID backup but after reading reviews I think the extra speed will help me for loading maps and such in games.

9. Create

Good choice.

For a RAID setup you'll want drives that at least match specifications, if not the actual make/model/age. The fact that the sizes are different here means you'll have to partition off 250GB from the 500GB drive, then create the RAID, then watch your actual performance drop because your RAID controller is battling inconsistent drive specifications. Skip the RAID. If you want speed buy a Raptor. If you want more speed after that buy a pair of Raptors and setup RAID 1. Want even more? Buy an iRAM drive.

The hard drive deal you've listed is very good. Go that route, skip the RAID for now, and grab a small Raptor drive when you can afford it. All you need to put on your Raptor drive is the OS, amin applications, and main games. It's $105 for a 36.7GB (which should be enough for most people), $160 for the 74GB (which is enough for all but crazy people).

You'll see the improvement during loading times in games, mainly, but also on application startup speed and boot time.

Also note that that output of even a Raptor drive does not come close to maximizing the capacity of SATA I (1.5GB). So far, I don't think they make Raptors for SATA II, but then there's really no need to do so.

Don't worry so much about what Asus recommends as a specific model, so long as you meet the specification. In this case you stated you want 2GB total, so it'll be 2x1GB - DDR2 800 - and make sure the CL timings match the ICH8(R) chipset @ 5 or 6. Save a few bucks here and pick up: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145588
    It meets all the specifications and OCZ is right up there quality-wise with Kingston and Corsair.

See above, it's a $10 upgrade.

You could do with less power. Actual current requirements should be around 450W peak. You could get away with a 500W if you're running slim, but that 600W is what you should have if you have plans for mirrorred Raptors, upgraded video, etc. You should always allow alot of extra room for power. You're unlikely to ever hit much more than 500W actual need, but that means your PSU will last alot longer as it's not being worked too hard. Since PSU failures damage components, it's cheap insurance to overkill.

It's always a good idea to have both capacity and speed for gaming applications. If you're like me, I play music, have 3-4 browser windows open, have ICQ open, may have the football game running on mute in a window, all on top of playing my mmo du jour. Even then I'll often run EVE while raiding WoW, as I can do both decently at the same time. 2GB is fine for all of that except running two MMO's at once.

10. Strife

Strife Active Member

Thanks a ton Create and Negative.

The link to the ram was pointing to the one I listed, but after some searching I imagine its this OCZ ram 5 cas for $120 1GB
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227123

So basically im going with everything I listed, this ram, and will decide on either a small raptor and mid size HD, or a mid size and large HD 7200.
    Planning on ordering parts this weekend/next week (before 12/11 for HD deal). Thanks again for the help, lemme know if there's anything else I should get/do.

11. Create

Why would you spend $240 for two of those instead of buying a package deal of the exact same RAM (make/model/everything) for $230? Also, when you buy the package like this the RAM sticks are often one-after-the-other off the manufacturing line. It's not all that important, but the sticks will be more consistent than ones made further apart in time. This puts a bit less pressure on your motherboard.

The 500GB + 250GB for $210 deal you linked is far too good to pass up.

Let us know how it turns out once everything is together.

12. Strife

Strife Active Member

Yea I found the 2x for $230. http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustR...&SortField=0&SummaryType=ALL&Pagesize=&Page=4

My only concern is the problem many people are having with their MOBO recognizing the ram until they flash the BIOS, someone posted that for the Asus board I have, they had to insert one stick into the last black slot and they were able to get their comp to start and flash the Bios before sticking in the 2nd. Hopefully that will work and I won't have to grab a cheap stick before I update BIOS.

And I guess I'll go for the 500GB + 250GB, thanks. I'll post an update and some pics once I complete the build~! :x:

13. Create

It's not a BIOS flash, which means to replace the existing BIOS programming, it's that it runs at a non-default voltage for this motherboard, 2.1v vs. the normal 1.8v. They're right, it's a PITA to work with on a new build, but once it's running you're good. Note that the MB will run it, jsut that you have to boot to change the setting and it won't boot unless you have RAM that fits the default.

Sooooo, look to this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820134117

...for ease of building. Now it's a pricier upgrade and heat sinks would be a very good idea before you overclock.

I'd still say it's definitely worth it for a gamer. This'll mean alot more than a Raptor or RAID once you've actually started the game.

14. Strife

Strife Active Member

Or I could grab this 256 stick of ram to boot up first:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820144146
    (it's on the asus compatibility list for my MOBO)

it's only $33 and I wont have to bother with heatsinks, seems like it would be cheaper/easier overall. Esp, since that OCZ has a $30 MIR.

Sounds good?

15. Create

Yes, that should definitely work. Good thinking!

Just don't run it with the 2x1GB set. Different voltage and different speeds may cause your motherboard to get confused, refuse to boot, or worse.