My new bike : 2003 Suzuki SV-650S

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Peter Gibbons, Apr 30, 2005.

1. Peter Gibbons

Peter Gibbons OT Supporter

Well, it was time for a new bike and I've always wanted an SV. Something about the V-twin and their great popularity in racing. I really want to get into track and this seems like the machine to do it. Here's a few pictures, had it for a week, and already started with the modding. Oh well :p

Forgive the crappy pics, lighting and scenery, damn rain on a saturday...

OEM Suzuki rear seat cowl. Very impressive piece for the price!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hotbodies undertail. Very nice, aside from the fact that it came with no directions. A little coercing and it fit perfectly. I was able to do this without any major modifications to any of the stock pieces with the exception of a few drilled holes, so I can go back to stock at any time if I feel the need. I also used the stock wiring harnesses for the turn signals and plate light. I added 2 resistors in parallel so I have regular speed blinkers with the LEDs. I must say, one of my cleaner installs I've ever done. :patsselfonback:

[​IMG]

Plate is mounted with a combination of the OEM bracket and some L-tabs I bent to fit my needs, then mounted to the battery tray.
    [​IMG]

Mods so far include :
    Traxxion Dynamics 90/KG fork springs with Bel Ray 20W fork oil and 2003 Fully adjustable GSXR-1000 rear shock. Along with the ever popular and squidly OEM cowl, hotbodies undertail, zero gravity double bubble windshield, frame sliders, swing arm spools and front fender extender.

I've put about 500 miles on the bike so far (just got insurance and tags finalized late this week). I absolutely LOVE it. The V-twin is amazing for riding around town and coming out of corners, I love the torque.

The handling is great so far, I'm supposed to head to the mountains tomorrow if it's clear to give it a real test.

I think of the switch from an I4 to the twin like going from a turbo'd car to a supercharged car. Very linear power throughout the power band. I couldn't be happier.

Next on the list is to get rid of the noob stickers, then probably a high mount slipon. Then save the rest for track days and rubber for this year. I look forward to blowing by the "fast" bikes on the track :ugh2:

IBsquids.

2. Ronin

Ronin Guest

nice and clean, cool bike

3. Uween

Uween New Member

nice...

4. 98formyws6

98formyws6 New Member

sweet bike, that's the exact model i had (the faster silver) although the copper is pretty sweet too. check out www.socalsvriders.org it's a squid free site w/ a lot of stand up ppl who know their shit. a lot of members who aren't from socal either.

5. Peter Gibbons

Peter Gibbons OT Supporter

wtf, that is fast silver :squint:

6. GCEX

GCEX Drifting Along

Very nice. I, too, want an SV, but I want the SV-650. Something about a naked bike appeals to me right now.

7. Pete Venkman

Pete Venkman New Member

nice, keep the rubber side down.

8. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

After 6 months or so, once you're used to the power, go with a +2 rear. Did that on my 01 SV and it was like a whole new bike.

9. Jujharoo

Jujharoo New Member

very nice bike man, an after market pipe would be cool

10. JointBeaker

JointBeaker packaging engineer #2 OT Supporter

That is basically the EXACT bike i would like. :bigthumb:

a SV1000 went cruizin by me the other day...and that thing sounded SAAAAWHEET.

11. Snafu

Snafu more than meets the eye

Great choice on the SV....CONGRATS!!!