GUN My new 1911

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by 2L Bunny, Oct 14, 2004.

1. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

I couldn't resist the deal. Picked up a new Rock Island Armory 1911 full size (5") last week. The fit and finish really suprised me for the $299 I paid. I was expecting the parkerizing to be more SAR-1 like. Shot it last weekend, about 100 rounds of Wolf, and 25 rounds of PMC and it shot great. Couple FTF on the first round with a new mag. But towards the end my CMC powermag/knockoff was working great. Shoots a bit low, but I'm planning on mepro's or Trijicon's before too long anyway.

My only problem was the hammer bite. Looks like a Wilson Drop-in Beavertail and hammer/sear are coming next.

[​IMG]

*note the light color of the finish is from the flash, it's rather dark in person*

2. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Damn, that is sweet. and the price is right too. the RIA's are supposed to be completely interchangeable with a standard GI, so getting a new beavertail and hammer will be a snap.

Now you have me thinking that I would be better off getting one of these instead of building my own from scratch.

Where did you get it from? Checking my bank account now. :)

oh, how is accuracy?

3. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

I haven't grouped it for acurecty yet. Just plinked a bit of ammo thru it for break in. I bought it from a local guy that sells part time. IIRC SOG has then on sale for ~$275. If you're local to Eugene, OR I can get you the guys number.

4. Nazareth_JA

Nazareth_JA Guest

Gotta love 1911s.
    i plan on getting another one some day.

5. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

I have been planning on getting back into IPSC shooting next year. I want to get back into unlimited, but to buy a custom racegun would cost thousands, so I was going to build one from scratch. I just went over my parts lists and realized that it would be much cheaper to buy an RIA and customize it instead of paying for parts. Of course at that price, I am also thinking it would be nice to buy 2, and build the 2nd one up as a duty/carry weapon.

6. GuiltySparc

GuiltySparc OT Supporter

very nice...my dad has his dad's M1911 from ww2, still shoots great