My motorcycle key won't turn: Seriously need advice

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by 3l_Chupacabra, Feb 9, 2009.

1. 3l_Chupacabra

3l_Chupacabra New Member

It's my first bike (2003 Ninja 250), and my first winter, and I've got a serious issue now.

It isn't ice. It WAS ice. I rode it in the rain two months ago then it went below freezing overnight, and the next day I couldn't get my key in all the way after work. Realizing there was just ice in the lock and I didn't have de-icer I poured some hot water in there and was on my way. Of course then the next morning that water had frozen making it so I had to put more hot water in it to thaw it, creating a vicious cycle where for a week I needed hot water to get anywhere. Yes I'm probably an idiot for pouring hot water in my lock.

After one time where it froze after I just ran into a store for 5 minutes and hot water didn't work right away, I walked to a hardware place to get lube but all they had was WD40. Put in some WD40, then hot water, then WD40, and rode it home and decided to wait for warmer weather.

Well the warmer weather has come. Not exactly beach weather but it isn't dropping below freezing anymore, and hasn't been for a while, so I assumed I'd be good to go, however a week ago when I put my key into my lock, it wouldn't turn...

It slides in fine, no trouble, the lock pushes in just fine, it's not on off it's on lock, and it just won't turn. Assuming it needed lube from all the water, a week ago I put more WD40 in it which didn't do jack. Then a few days ago thinking it was maybe gunked up with that residue WD40 leaves, I poured hot water in the key a few times, then rinsed it out with rubbing alcohol, let that dry, and put some of that good graphite powder dry lube in the lock.

Still nothing.

I've tried wiggling the handles, turning it with the clutch in, brake on, kickstand up and down, etc. ONE TIME before I put the WD40 in when I was checking if it would work, it didn't turn maybe 20 times but then just randomly turned. I turned it off since I needed it to reliably turn, and I haven't gotten it to do so since.

Key isn't messed up, still opens the gas tank fine. ANY suggestions of what the hell is wrong with it and what I could do to fix it?

[cliffs]Bike lock froze 2 months ago, I thawed it with hot water a few times and parked it for the winter, it isn't below freezing anymore and it definitely isn't iced but now it won't turn at all except one lucky time out of hundreds, I've put WD40 in there and then rinsed it out and put in graphite powder lube, still no luck. Need help.[/cliffs]

I appreciate the help...

2. mtnbikekid08

mtnbikekid08 Aime-moi moins, mais aime-moi longtemps

Water may have rusted despite the WD40.

3. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

agreed.

doesn't take much to lock up an ignition.

ice forming and expanding in the ignition could have possibly damaged it as well as the possibility of rust

4. Kenny Powers

Kenny Powers OT Supporter

Pouring hot water into your lock :rofl:

5. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

yeah pouring more water into it probably was a bad idea lol.
    you're probably looking at replacing it to ensure it's reliability because if it's damaged by the ice or rust it'll probably continue to be a pain and not reliable

6. smartypants

smartypants New Member

Hold the key still and turn the bike

7. smartypants

smartypants New Member

You may have bent one of the pins in the tumbler though.

8. 3l_Chupacabra

3l_Chupacabra New Member

Update: took a lockpick set to it to feel out the pins, turns out one near the bottom was stuck, be it rust or gunk from the WD40. My brother pulled up in his car as I was trying to loosen it and I told him what was up. He put the key in the lock and slammed it, now my lock works flawlessly and I put more graphite in there to ensure it didn't stick again. Figures.

Thanks for the help, and remember this trick if anyone ever finds themselves with a stuck pin. Slam that shit in.

9. mtnbikekid08

mtnbikekid08 Aime-moi moins, mais aime-moi longtemps

no, because you can break a key like that.
    The trick is, don't be a dumbass and pour water in a lock.

10. spyder2581

spyder2581 Active Member

:werd:

11. SLIGHTLY

SLIGHTLY OT Supporter

next time get a lighter and heat your key to get it into an iced up lock...