SRS My mother spends at least 3 hours a day cleaning the kitchen sink

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by JakobwithaK, Dec 7, 2007.

1. JakobwithaK

JakobwithaK Titty fuck for the win!

My mother spends at least 6 hours a day cleaning the kitchen sink

Anyone elses mom like this? or know anyone similar? This is basically on her work days (which is 5-6 days a week). On her days off, times all this by 3, so she would spend upwards of 7 or 8 hrs on her days off at the kitchen sink.

Brief pointers

1) Its obviously OCD, the entire family knows it, she knows it.
    2) She has had this all her life, shes never changed her ways
    3) She knows what OCD is, but wont admit to her having it (severe case too btw)
    4) We have all tried to help her and set her up with prof. help but she has never wanted to cooperate. She never has and never will, my mother is incredibly stubborn. She wont even admit to having OCD, she claims this is normal.
    5) Shes also 58 yrs old, so she will not be changing at all, which is upsetting but we all know we have to live with it.

She is basically a clean freak - she is obsessed! She always thinks everything is dirty 24/7 and needs constant washing. I could go on about this, but ill give some examples and Im sure you can get an pretty good idea just how bad her OCD really is. Its gotten to the point where we just have to live with it, as hard as it is to see her waste so much of her free time...well nothing we can do. :rolleyes: We can only do so much.

- she goes grocery shopping everyday of the week, even if its just to buy one thing. She will not buy food unless she plans on eating it that day (again it comes down to her obsession about freshness). Uhh mom, thats what fridges are for? :hsugh: She buys bananas, she buys ones way too new to even eat...so she buys the green ones, which of course you will have to wait a week just to eat them.

- everthing she buys from the grocery store she sticks in plastic bags because according to her its dirty :hsugh: Not only that, but she will go the extra effort and tie knots...so not only does she waste more time, but she wastes even more having to undo it when it gets home. Ive gotten to the point now where I know she will come home every single day with groceries, so half of the time now I dont bother helping her put it away. I know that may sound a bit cruel and Im not tryin to be. But im trying to get her to learn.

Just because she feels she has to waste time everyday going to the store just to buy one or two things, doesnt mean I should have to waste time everyday just to feed her habit. Am I being reasonable here? I dont mind her going to the store say a few times a week and I can help her with groceries, but every single day? Uhh I told ma already "Im sorry but I got better things to do with my time than to go to the store everyday"...even if its -40 out she still goes!!!! SHE IS CRAZY I TELL YA!!!! I used to help her with grocery shopping, but she insisted that I go more often and I told her I wasnt willing to. I mean whats the point! Just buy what you need for a few days in one trip! ARGH!!! So I stopped shopping for her altogether. If she wants to make a special trip every single day, then let her...its her problem. I want nothing more to do with this.

- she comes home from work everyday, first thing she does? Take a bath, get changed like a normal person? Nope. Eating something? Nope. Turn on the tv and watchin some tv? Nope. She goes right to the kitchen and cleans the sink for an hour. She does this again when she wakes up every morning. And she will do it again, after supper. Goes and cleans the sink for an hour.

- first off when she does this, she uses so much god damn dish soap, no wondering why she spends so much on soap and it takes so long to get it all down the drain. Ma, you dont have to use 20 pumps to wash a pot! :ugh: It takes her 15mins to wash a single utensil, but yet half of the time she doesnt want to use the dishwasher :hsugh: Even if you use the utensil to open something and its not even dirty - its always dirty to her....so in the sink it goes

- So she washes the dish (15mins), then she will wash the sink after (another 15mins) and then wash the cloth (another 15mins) that she used to wash the dish and sink. Then she will wash the tap and outside ledges of the sink (another 15mins). Then she will wash the counter tops. (another 15mins). She does this at least 4 or 5 times a day...with each time taking at least an hour. :rolleyes:. Basically everytime she washes a dish or bunch of them, she always goes through this habit of washing the sink and cloth and counter tops after.

I get so fed up watching her waste so much of her free time at the sink and hearing the water run non stop. I just ignore the fact that shes doing what shes doing and I always shut my door so I cant hear the water running. I know everytime we have company over, say people are tryin to watch tv...guess what we cant even hear it cause shes got the sink running at full blast :rolleyes: She makes things so complicated when she doesnt need to.

Seriously, she might as well just keep the sink on 24/7...why even bother having a tap since she pretty much turns it on every 30 seconds when at home :rolleyes: Nobody in the family knows why she does the things she does - like going grocery shopping every single day of the year...even if its just to buy one thing!!! Just get it the day before ma! Jesus, but she wont ever listen!!!

-

Last edited: Jun 13, 2008
  2. 04JETTA

04JETTA OT Supporter

its just what she wants :dunno:
    EDIT: and :wavey: JakobwithaK how are you?

3. JakobwithaK

Ya I know its what she wants, but it really annoys me when she gets on other peoples cases about not acting like how she does. Sorry, but I dont think anyone in this world is willing to go grocery shopping every single day, or spend an hour every time washing the kitchen sink. :rolleyes:

Im alright and you? :mepoke:

4. 04JETTA

04JETTA OT Supporter

not too bad my damn keyboard still wont work :mad: but the customer service is :bowdown: other than that waiting for this weekend to do some x-mas shopping for my gf (girl who is a friend :sadwavey:)
    EDIT: and i see what u mean now that would annoy me too

5. bimmer318

bimmer318 I'm out of applesauce

My dad is like this - except just the kitchen part. Ever since we renovated the kitchen he washes the sink and the countertops, but for about half an hour a day. Every day as well. It pisses me off to no end.

Best thing to do is move out.

I feel that one day when I do move out, I will probably avoid my parents like a plague. I know it's mean but I just can't stand them.

6. Arclight

Arclight Hypercube

Take a shit in the sink?

:o

At least she'll have something to clean. :o:o

Sorry, that's the best suggestion I have. :hs:

7. 04JETTA

04JETTA OT Supporter

beginning to feel the same :sadwavey: dads not too bad though

8. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Get a DSM or an article about OCD and show her the list of symptoms so she can see an unbiased version of what OCD is. It's "normal" to deny having a disorder and it's "normal" to think that other people "don't understand" so you best chance is to show her something which is not related and you can only hope that she'll feel like she has it so that she decides to get help. There are meds for this if she doesn't want therapy.

9. JakobwithaK

what do you mean your keyboard still wont work? lol :hs:

10. JakobwithaK

Ya well the first step to overcoming OCD is to admit you have it and she wont...we've all tried. So whatever we dont care anymore, we can only do so much. Well its a bit relieving to hear that there are others like her :hs:

11. JakobwithaK

For a dude to have this is extremely rare...very surprising too.

12. B4 I FU R U 18

B4 I FU R U 18 Active Member

oh man, thats crazy. good luck

13. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Did you try to put her with a list of the symptoms, and ask her to put a checkmark beside the symptoms which she has ?

14. Aronomy

Aronomy Get your COME ON!

My mom shops everyday too, nothing wrong with that. The running water would piss me off though, I like peace and quiet.

15. registeredPORK

registeredPORK Happy Poo Poo

If you want to know true OCD, live with my room mate.

Every morning, his ritual is to do 15 push-ups with his right arm, and then 15 with the other. He then takes a chair, places his foot on it, and do push ups that way. He does this for about a good hour before getting ready for work.

When he comes home, the first thing he does is check that his food is in the fridge, that his things are on his desk, and that no one has taken anything. He believes that everyone has been eating all his food when he's eaten it himself and that he just has a horrible memory because of his old age. I'll take a picture of him when I get home, lmao.

He then walks around the house, looking confused, looking for stuff that either a) isn't his, b) doesn't exist, or c) he forgot what he's looking for but still trying to look for it.

If he finds a pair of socks that isn't his in the living room, he'll walk around the house asking everyone if it's theirs. He then does it again every thirty minutes until someone takes it from him.

He does dishes at 1 in the morning, and while things are in the dishwasher, he vacuums for about an hour.

When he comes home, he has to remove everything from the common room/living room. This means, if you have a book on the table, he'll move it some where else. If you have a plate of food on the table, he'll more then likely ask someone if it's your food (like they know what you're eating right? :mamoru:) and if they don't know who's it is, he'll throw it away and put the plate in the kitchen. If you have magazines on the shelf in the bathroom, and it's for 'bathroom reading' then he'll place it in your room. If you have mail, he'll place it on the floor in your room instead of handing it to you or placing it on the desk in your room.

I remember about a week ago, I took some ibuprofen because my back was hurting and left the bottle on the table and forgot to place it back in my room. He took it and when I asked if he had seen it, he said that it was his. A few days later, still pretty annoyed and pissed about it, I asked him when he was going to give me my ibuprofen back. He looked at me and had this sort of ... grin on his face and said that he found his other bottle and thought that it was his. Of course, me being me, and still fuming over such a thing, I told him to give it to me and when he gave it to me and didn't apologize, I made a comment and... well... ¬_¬ ... at the end I was being a total bitch but I don't regret it. You just can't take something from someone and claim that its yours. Not the first time he's done this too, so of course I'd be annoyed.

He doesn't talk much, so he's pretty quiet, but when he talks, he doesn't stop. A lot of the time, the only conversations you'll ever have with him is when he asks, "Is this yours?"

If he's missing butter, or cheese, he'll ask if I took it. If say no, he'll ask the SO about 30 minutes later and the SO will say no. He did this one time because apparently he was missing mozzarella cheese, and asked us both in general if we took it and my SO answered. In about 30 minutes, he came back to ask me and I looked at him and said, "No, we didn't take your cheese. You came by and asked that already." His reply was because I didn't answer it and only my SO did.

:ugh: I told him that my SO and I eat together so if one of us did use it, we both would know. It's ridiculous.

He moves everything so they're even. Kinda like Monk... and he'll place things just anywhere that's not bothering him. Such as, he knows we use the dining table to do homework, reading, projects, writing and shit like that. At the end of the day, he'll come by and move everything and look through everything and if it doesn't seem important he'll chuck it away. This means if you stayed up a while to do a project and leave it there whether it's because the glue needs to dry or something, he'll move it and break and won't fess up or he'll simply throw shit away.

He's an OCD clean freak. We all think he's on drugs that's making him forget things although I don't know of any drugs that will do that to you. He has a lot of energy until 3AM (when he usually goes to sleep) and then wakes up like two-three hours later.

16. Ladybug

Ladybug Guest

Is she happy, and isn't that what matters?

17. skullcandy

skullcandy New Member

Take the sink out.

18. Bleed

Bleed New Member

i'm just lol'd thinking of some poor woman frantically cleaning the sink all day :rofl:

but that is relaly bad ocd. she needs help.

19. Bleed

Bleed New Member

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhahahahahah

20. dano

dano OT Supporter

Someone who comes into contact with cleaning chemicals/soaps all day will eventually develop some form of dermatitis which isn't good. And that matters.

She's severely OCD. I could open up my DSM right now and probably check every single symptom for it with her. She needs help really bad man.

21. impulse_Z

impulse_Z The Champagne of OTers ™

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Fuck yo blackberry nigga: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 6.12) Sprint:pPC6800)

send her over to my place, it could use a good cleaning

22. Daily

Daily yliaD Bidness

tie her up on a chair? :dunno:

get yr family to do this, its like quitting smoking, but sink cleaning

23. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

I work in a grocery store and can tell you from years of experience that shopping every single day is VERY common for a lot of people. Shopping twice a day is even common for many people. Not sure about the cleaning stuff :\. I have OCD and wash my hands several times an hour. I don't think this will change until you messy kids move out and leave her stuff alone. Put her on vacation and take her out to eat, break her habits.

24. mephistopholes

mephistopholes New Member

It won't change if the messy kids move out, it will only find another way in.

She has to make a willing choice to confront it. And the people around her need to respect how difficult that is.

Sorry about the situation, Jakob. It's a tough thing to deal with.

25. JakobwithaK

Its getting worse, the sink is pretty much on every second when shes home. She literally spends all her time at the sink when home, aside from sleeping.

This thread title has changed from 3hrs to every single min when home.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2008