My mother cannot diet

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Torzilla, Nov 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Torzilla

Torzilla New Member

My moms been a big woman all her life. Seriously obese, I've seen her lose weight one time and at that point she was abusing laxatives and starving herself. Even then I only saw her lose about 50lbs.

Currently shes about 300lbs and has begun a new diet. Its not a cheap do it yourself eat healthy and exercise diet but an expensive $500 a month for some powdered shit thats gonna be your meals for the day diet. She's been doing this for about a month or two and its working for her.

Recently though (about the last week) I've been noticing shes beginning to "cheat". Sneaking late night snacks and having sweet treats. I want to mind my own business.. its her life, its her money, its her health. But I've been told by someone that I should step in when I see her cheating. That as her daughter and someone who loves her this is somehow my responsibility. Its a sensitive matter to be sure.

I wouldn't want other people, even loved ones monitering my eating habbits.
    So, what do you think? Is there a point where I should step in or should I just let her do what she wants to do?

2. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

when it comes to stuff like this, people are internally motivated in my experience. Try if you like and hope for the best but don't be disappointed. :hs:

3. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Letting her do what she wants to do led her to be over 300lbs. :dunno:

4. PorscheRacer

PorscheRacer You see this? It means not welcome

An expensive $500 a month for some powdered shit diet sounds like a good use of money. Plus I'm sure a lady that is used to gorging her self all day is going to do great on a liquid diet.

5. mandrew

mandrew New Member

I'd try intervening. Sure you don't want people doing that to you, but just because you don't want it doesn't mean it's not beneficial.

Maybe make it a reuglar thing for you guys to cook together and just eat healthy... those expensive meal plan diets are unreasonable and no wonder she's cheating if she's living off powdered food.

6. dengar

dengar seans is a afta marchsollwe in his gir! OT Supporter

I called my mom out about three years ago. My grandmother begged me to do it and in reality it really didn't do much, but at least I was able to say that I tried to do something about it.

She actually got lapband surgery almost a year ago and has turned things around for the better, but this was way after my initial talk with her.

7. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

At least for your own peace of mind as well if the worse happens.

8. V!

V! New Member

Would you still not say anything if you saw an ex-alcoholic sneaking in a few blackout nights at the bar?

9. Torzilla

Torzilla New Member

You know I'm a great cook. And I told her for the price she's paying she could put it in the bank and I could easily make up a diet plan for her. This was before she started it ofcourse.
    The program of powdered gook doesnt seem good to me to begin with. If i read the instructions right, which.. I probably didnt in my 15minutes of overlooking, then she's getting about 1200-1400 calories per day. That seems like too little at her weight, dont most diets scale down as you lose weight you eat less?

10. Maxvla

Maxvla New Member

It really has to be a complete shift in thought when you begin to diet. You can't just say I hate being fat, because that isn't enough motivation. Regular cheats usually means they didn't really intend to stick with it in the first place.

I started eating right about 4 months ago for a myriad of reasons. I'll have a high end chocolate bar every once in a while (like once a month), but as my ideology has changed completely I've found myself becoming disgusted at some of the foods I've eaten before, and some things I still have cravings for I think about it and realize I never really LIKED it to begin with.

I don't know whether you should bring it up or not. I personally would likely welcome it, but like I said I just don't cheat my diet anymore so there really isn't anyone to call me on something I'm not doing. It really depends on what kind of reaction you think she will have. If she'll recognize you are trying to help her reach her goal it will be worth it to chance it. On the other side she could retreat and end up worse off, and $500 a month poorer also.

I personally don't get the powder diets, especially at that price. $500 could probably buy my groceries for 2 months because I eat simple. Real food will always be better than supplements. Not only does it get you involved in what exactly you are eating, why you are eating it, but it also can teach you how to prepare other foods you used to eat in a healthier way, such as thanksgiving foods when you can't very well treat your extended family to a nice healthy bowl of whole grain rice with a side of chicken breast and some tossed greens.

my 3 pennies

11. Torzilla

Torzilla New Member

I'm not sure its a fair comparison. Alcoholics shouldnt have alcohol ever..
    Overweight people arent cut off from food forever.
    Unhealthy snacks on rare occasions I think will always be allowed, however an alcholic shouldnt ever have another beer.
    I do understand your point though, even if its a bit extreme for my liking.

12. Maxvla

Maxvla New Member

Depending on her lifestyle her maintenence calorie level is probably near 3,500. 1200-1400 is very drastic, likely unhealthy. My maintenence with exercise is about 3700 and I'm struggling just to get over 2200 daily, but I'm never hungry so I think I'm doing ok.

13. GuOD

GuOD mcflurry diet

if ur mainteance were 3700 u wouldnt struggle to get 2200 :mamoru:

14. Maxvla

Maxvla New Member

not sure what you mean really. I'm trying to lose weight. I switched from fast food junk to eating clean and am eating about the same volume of food as I did before, it's just better quality stuff. Before I'd get something like a value meal from random place for lunch and dinner, then pig out on chips and soda or whatever after that. Wow that makes me almost gag thinking about it, actually. Now I'll have some egg(s)/oatmeal/ww toast (no butter)/milk for breakfast, a couple pieces of fruit during the work day, then some chicken/rice/greens for dinner then something small like a pbj a couple hours before bed. Am I going about it wrong?

15. energie

energie I like to place an order.. the name? Situation the

no your not

i read this thread.

My mother cannot die. :hsugh:

16. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

We need pics (of you, not your mom) to really know for sure what the best course of action is.

17. Mass

Mass Active Member

the majority of obese women are unhappy about a lot of aspects in their life and their only comfort is food, some woman cannot diet until they resolve other aspects of their life, because to them, food is all they have.

18. cubedojo

cubedojo New Member

Damn 300, I wish I could bulk up to that weight, I'd be able to beat Brock Lesnar for the belt.

19. energie

energie I like to place an order.. the name? Situation the

cause being that size means you can go toe to toe with a very large atheletic individual right :hsugh:

20. ReFreshing

ReFreshing OT Supporter

If i were you, i would. You can't really expect her to do this all by her own without others encouraging or helping her to any extent.

21. ReFreshing

ReFreshing OT Supporter

good luck

22. 4cd-Air

4cd-Air Rape seemed like the next logical step

:rofl:

23. Formz

Formz Hipster Santa OT Supporter

IMO.... she has already proven she can't do it on her own so there is no harm in you pointing out the obvious (her cheating). My mother is about 170lbs or so and has already lost a lot of weight, but she's beginning to do the "I think I should change to south beach because I've stopped losing weight on this one" bullshit. I lectured here for about 20 minutes that about plateauing and what she needs to do get past it. You're just looking out for her best interest.

24. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

My mom is a bit overweight but not obese. She complained about it one day when I was home and I called her out on her eating habits. She admitted she didn't have the self discipline to eat the way I do. That's a step in the right direction.

25. cubedojo

cubedojo New Member

But for real, it takes a lot of work to BE 300 lbs. You have to constantly eat, it's a lot of work in and of itself. She may have an addicitive personality, which meshes well with exercising, get her in a routine and if she can maintain an exercise routine for a month or more, she may become addicited to exercising and doing her routine and drop her addiction to eating. The goal here is to make her addicition for exercise and the way it feels overcome the addicition to food and the way it makes her feel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.